Dan Gosling

Dave

Probably worthy of a new thread by now, so here we are. People (and journos) on Twitter, Bolton forums and the Daily Mail all reckon we've got him and he'll sign on Monday.

Thoughts?

I've never him play but he does not look like the kind of player we need. We have enough piss weak midfielders (Barton & Guthrie) as it is. I guess its another body in the squad though and its a no risk signing.

I hope so, he isn't going to be a massive signing but he has looked a good young premiership player the few times I have seen him and obviously on a free is low risk.

With our limited budget we will probably need to mix young and hungry with experienced but cheap players and as young and hungry doesn't usually come cheap these days Gosling is a no brainer. As said in the other thread, he should be Smith's replacement.

Really excited about Gosling if we get him.

Agree with Cajun that we need to get rid of Smith if we get him, we can't have him, Barton, Guthrie, Nolan and Gosling on our books. He wasn't good enough in the championship and he's probably one of the highest earners in the squad.

Meh. It's about as low-risk as you can get - but he won't really improve the quality of the first team; certainly not immediately, for obvious reasons. He'll just expand it which, to be fair, needs doing - so i'm content with the signing overall.

I'd hope he wasn't the only centre-mid to come in, but i think that would be asking a lot. It's frustrating how we're going after players who you would typically consider to be luxury ones. I'd even go to say 'punts', certainly in Perch's case. I know the idea is to go young and hungry - which is great - but i really do hope we nab a couple of seasoned pros who are tried and tested in the division. We need to stay up, that's paramount. The type of players we're allegedly going after don't exactly guarantee that.

mirror reckons we have him on 4 year deal 25k a week and that we promised to him we'd sign him even if we have to pay compo to everton for him to sign, if true top marks all round to all involved

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Newcastle-have-signed-Dan-Gosling-on-a-four-year-contract-after-he-was-mistakenly-released-by-Everton-article522905.html

Remember when I told you "Gosling & his agent will be agreeing terms now with clubs." what did you say?

Meh. It's about as low-risk as you can get - but he won't really improve the quality of the first team; certainly not immediately, for obvious reasons. He'll just expand it which, to be fair, needs doing - so i'm content with the signing overall.

I'd hope he wasn't the only centre-mid to come in, but i think that would be asking a lot.

My exact thoughts. I pray we get another one in. We ideally need a DM and a creative AM going through the middle, but on top of a LB and CF? Could be asking quite a bit too much.

mirror reckons we have him on 4 year deal 25k a week and that we promised to him we'd sign him even if we have to pay compo to everton for him to sign, if true top marks all round to all involved

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Newcastle-have-signed-Dan-Gosling-on-a-four-year-contract-after-he-was-mistakenly-released-by-Everton-article522905.html

Remember when I told you "Gosling & his agent will be agreeing terms now with clubs." what did you say?

hands up i thought wrong

not that anything is confirmed yet but i was half right, according to the article we were the only side to agree to sign him even if a fee is due which other sides were apparently not

When the everton fan/fans give this write up can you forget the midfielders you have and pretend you have the ones we have? Or alternatively base your view on his ability not from a team fighting for Europe but against relegation.

Thank you ;)

It's the sort of signing i'd be delighted with under Robson. If we're pinning our hopes on the likes of Gosling keeping us up, then i'd go as far to say i'm feeling a bit nervous about our chances of survival. :undecided:

Guest malandro

if it does happen (and its looking promising) it shows our guys in charge are paying attention for good opportunities which is an encouraging sign

It shows they are looking for players that are going cheap.

if it does happen (and its looking promising) it shows our guys in charge are paying attention for good opportunities which is an encouraging sign

Damned if they do, damned if they dont, tbh.

What would you rather we do. Get a promising, talented, English player for 'free' or spend a couple of million on a foreigner we've never heard of. No brainer.