Dan Gosling

Dave

Guest Heneage

Even people that criticised his performance I'm sure are well aware of his situation. I don't really understand what you're getting at. I see no difference to the trend of discussion in this thread to that of Ben Arfa's.

Apart from people shooting down anyone that dare criticise his performance and claiming that they don't understand football.

Gosling could do with a few fan boys that support him rather than the team to make that happen.

I think people aren't criticizing his performance because of three simple facts.

-He's young

-He's had a year out during a key time in his development

-He's still yet to play any significant minutes in the first team.

Strange he doesn't get defended that much for his form like others who have had similar long term injuries...

It's because he looks very ordinary as a footballer. Regardless of form, I could see HBA having an impact against teams like Man U or Man City whereas I get the feeling Gosling will be shown up if he starts against that standard of team. He looks too slow, lacks the technique or vision to compete at that level. I agree it's early days so I hope he proves me wrong and has a stormer against City.

• 2 weeks later...

Far too little time to judge how he played, but what I will say is how encouraging it was to see him in that position to score today, something we don't really get from Tiote, Cabaye or Guthrie. Could be an option late in games when we need to grab something. Just had a look at his record and he now has 5 goals in 26 career Premier League matches, I can imagine a fair few of those appearances being from the bench too.

Guest Minusmensch

Thought he did well last game, and well today. Didn't get much time, but that goal is worth a lot, even in a loss. I say well done, Gosling. I have faith in him!

Far too little time to judge how he played, but what I will say is how encouraging it was to see him in that position to score today, something we don't really get from Tiote, Cabaye or Guthrie. Could be an option late in games when we need to grab something. Just had a look at his record and he now has 5 goals in 26 career Premier League matches, I can imagine a fair few of those appearances being from the bench too.

Aye, seems to like getting forward hoping to get a chance on a rebound etc. Similar to Nolan in that respect.

Well HBA is a different style of player, no doubt a more exciting one. It's hardly surprising that people are ready to forgive more mistakes by HBA, his very style of play demands it. And when he gets it right the results will be spectacular.

Gosling deserves patience as much as anyone returning from injury, obviously. And game time.

Agree with your points and Gosling does need game time as does Ben Arfa and will likely happen in the coming weeks .

Not sure why some judge after so little game time, I know there is the whole "yeah well at the time he was shit" thing but you're still making judgements with very little evidence, see Enrique, Best, Ba and Colo to name a few.

Gosling may well turn out to be a dud but let's give him a chance to prove either way, he was the next big thing pre-season.

Best to let players settle imo then you don't have to backtrack so often :)

I'm a bit worried about his lack of pace. I hope it's not anything to do with his injury, because he seems to have bulked up quite a bit.

Was pace ever one of his traits? Genuine question, never seen much of him hut I dont recall that being one of his positives talked about often.

He reminds me of Nolan.

Why does that statement seem pejorative now? :laugh: Our top goalscorer last season. How quickly things change.

Anyway, I agree with your post - but in a very positive way. Frequently forays forward, often to good effect, as he has a knack of getting goalscoring opportunities. Like CMs that aren't afraid to gamble on chances. Very difficult to defend against as opposing CMs won't always track those runs that far into their own box.

Reserving judgement on his overall play until I see more of him. Seems decent though.

• 3 weeks later...

Potentially, he could work well with Cabaye. With Tiote missing, Cabaye has been sitting a lot deeper lately.  Guthrie never looks that comfortable breaking into the box, or even hovering on the edge of the D.

I personally prefer Yohan further up the field, but he's already shown he's fairly versatile and still looks decent playing a bit deeper.  Not so much a DM, but a holding playmaker or a 'quarterback' as Sky seem to call it now  :lol:

Gosling clearly lacks the tenacity of Tiote and his passing range isn't as good as Guthrie's, but he will offer something different going forward.  He's already shown in the few times we've seen him he's happy to break from midfield and try and support the attack.  Against so called lesser teams, I can see him netting a goal or two.

What Nate said. Guthrie was suprisingly brilliant but he and Cabaye were very similar so despite working well, at times there wasn't enough variation from the centre of the park.

If Gosling plays to his potential it could be a good pairing, Cabaye doing all the fancy creative stuff with Gosling causing the defence problems, being another option in & around the box and hopefully getting the odd goal.

Gosling has potential, think he can do a job for us and god knows we need him to.

Same, actually CM is an area we have the right level of cover. Players who are hungry to do a job for the team but don't feel they should be playing first-team Champs League every week.