Dan Gosling

Dave

Barton over Guthrie any day of the week for me like. Saying that though we don't know if Barton still has the engine he had pre-injuries or whether they'll have taken a toll on his ability to get up and down the pitch. They're both pretty weak (Guthrie more so) but at least Barton can mask this by putting more of a foot in than Guthrie does.

We're asking for relegation if both play in CM together like, not that they will unless Smith and Nolan are out.

can't see smith getting a game apart from being down on numbers.

Barton over Guthrie any day of the week for me like. Saying that though we don't know if Barton still has the engine he had pre-injuries or whether they'll have taken a toll on his ability to get up and down the pitch. They're both pretty weak (Guthrie more so) but at least Barton can mask this by putting more of a foot in than Guthrie does.

We're asking for relegation if both play in CM together like, not that they will unless Smith and Nolan are out.

can't see smith getting a game apart from being down on numbers.

Disagree, Hughton's main priority will be not losing as it was for large periods last season before March or so and unfortunately IMO that will include Smith at DM.

So am i right in thinking that there is unlikely to be a announcement on this until the 14 days of which Everton have to make a appeal ? When would this be ?

The appeal was 14 days from last Friday, so a week on Friday. I reckon it'll not be officially confirmed by the club until the Monday 26th July.

We saw in that game against Plymouth Barton demonstrate a glimpse of his natural creativity with a sublime through ball for Routledge to run onto and score. So imo, he does have a good football brain and pre-Newcastle era he was known for having a good engine on him as well. But as Disco's said, whether he still has that post injuries etc we'll have to wait and see. But we're really chancing our arm if we want to rely on Barton to carry us through the season because he more than likely wont- due to injury and/or discipline reasons. However, I do believe that if he gets a run of games together he will be much more of a benefit to us in terms of just keeping the ball. Like Guthrie, he has some ability and sense to use the ball constructively.

In Smith we have a 'tough(reckless) tackling' DM who will ultimately become a liability for us throughout the season with his rash challenges etc. Then we have Nolan, who quite frankly is the laziest CM I've seen in a long, long time. I think that he's starting to establish himself as more of an AM/in the hole player, thankfully. Imo, if he plays it should be behind one of the strikers, not in the middle of the park as we will get completely overran.

Then Barton's a box-to-box midfielder while Guthrie would be more of a 'supporting' midfielder- looking for the ball, spraying it out etc.

What Gosling will offer I don't know, but it's got to be something good in the defensive department, imo.

i will be amazed if Smith is not in the team against Man U for the first game.  in fact as long as he's fit i can see him being one of the first names Hughton puts on the team sheet.

So am i right in thinking that there is unlikely to be a announcement on this until the 14 days of which Everton have to make a appeal ? When would this be ?

The appeal was 14 days from last Friday, so a week on Friday. I reckon it'll not be officially confirmed by the club until the Monday 26th July.

Aye, this is what I originally thought too.

Surely Everton don't have a leg to stand on with regards to the appeal.

i will be amazed if Smith is not in the team against Man U for the first game.  in fact as long as he's fit i can see him being one of the first names Hughton puts on the team sheet.

Himself, Nolan and Harper are Hughtons 'blue chip' boys. They'll be 'pinnacle' to our chances...

Did Hughton not drop Smith in the past, or am I making that up?

I don't know man.. He spent a lot of time on the bench last season, I really don't think he'll feature much.. I'm pretty sure Hughton realises that despite his aggressive tackling, Smith's lack of vision, movement and tactical discipline don't make us better defensively..

Did Hughton not drop Smith in the past, or am I making that up?

yes he did and it helped the team,(he was carrying an injury though) especially in home games at the back end of last season but for the first game of the Premier league away at Man U, where we will go defensively anyway i just can't see Hughton not playing Alan Smith.   It could be different when we play Villa in our second game with that being at home.

Barring fitness and any more signings, I reckon the Man U front six will be:

Routledge  Guthrie  Smith  Jonas

Nolan

Carroll

Barring fitness and any more signings, I reckon the Man U front six will be:

Routledge  Guthrie  Smith  Jonas

Nolan

Carroll

:(

I don't know man.. He spent a lot of time on the bench last season, I really don't think he'll feature much.. I'm pretty sure Hughton realises that despite his aggressive tackling, Smith's lack of vision, movement and tactical discipline don't make us better defensively..

It did last season like. We conceded nearly twice as many goals a game without Smith in the side as we did with him in it (although part of that could be because Smith's absences coincided with Taylor's).

You can argue it's better to be more attacking than defensive minded, but it worked for us (results wise) last season so I can't see Hughton throwing caution to the wind this season against significantly better opposition.

Himself, Nolan and Harper are Hughtons 'blue chip' boys. They'll be 'pinnacle' to our chances...

Clichéd bollocks :thup:

Everytime I see this thread I seem to merge the start so I read Van Gosling and all I can think of from there on is the arch-nemesis of Count Duckula.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tehrobocoddess87/images/charsline.jpg