FA Cup Replays could be scrapped

Gash

don't agree either, or with the winter break idea, if theres a winter break the players will not be resting they will be playing exhibition match's for huge sums in other parts of the world and what difference will it make just capello reaching for an easy excuse rather than face the fact he was a complete failure

Don't agree, they can be a good source of revenue and/or a good day out for non-league or lower league clubs.

This. A lower/non league club will think "what's the point" if a draw doesn't get them a big money 2nd match.

I think they should get rid. A winter break needs to happen and I don't see another way of it happening (they wont reduce to 18 teams). Should also have Premiership matches on FA Cup weekends (only if the teams are out, of course)

Guest optimistic nit

completely agree. there are too many fixtures in the english league season, thats a fact and the idea that smaller clubs will try less without the idea of a replay is laughable, considering the alternative is 30 mins of extra time then pens, which means they would have a better chance of progressing than having to play another 90 minute game.

I tend not to like changes with in the game and that is how i feel about this. Imo, there are more important ruless that need to be looked at such as the unfair rule, in the league cup, where away goals count in extra time.

Im not really keen on them tbh. I would rather the round was decided upon on the one weekend. Seems a bit stupid playing a knock out game in a cup competition and at the end of it neither team has progressed or been eliminated.

Should just draw the big fishes (PL teams) away from home by default in the opening rounds if income loss for smaller teams is an issue.

Why?

Small teams get more money being away from home at a big club as the gate is split 40% to each side, 20% to the FA.

Should just draw the big fishes (PL teams) away from home by default in the opening rounds if income loss for smaller teams is an issue.

Why?

Small teams get more money being away from home at a big club as the gate is split 40% to each side, 20% to the FA.

Didn't know that, always just assumed they got the most money playing at home. :lol:

If they want to get rid of 'meaningless' fixtures maybe they should just get rid of points for a draw in the league. Too many teams waste their energy playing to stop the opposition. Maybe if they were a bit more competitive instead of preserving a boring position in the generally boring Premier League they might view the cup as a bigger priority.

The FA Cup is world famous for a reason so stop dicking about with it just to suit the money greedy chairman.

Just get rid of the shit cup. Keep FA as it is.

No point getting rid of it though because nobody really takes it that seriously meaning your important players don't really get knackered etc

It's a higher profile reserve game tbh

From a practical point of view, this would probably be a good option. But replays have been a part of English football since the sport began, and the game's tradition is already seeping away at a rapid pace. I'd rather we left alone some of the grassroots aspects of the game that don't essentially need altering.

Guest Brummiemag

Another nail in the coffin of a once great cup competition. Travelling away in the Cup with thousands of supporters is an unbeatable football experience and no doubt soon a thing of the past

I'm sad, angry but not surprised by this. Its all about money and bowing down to the power and vested interest of the Premier League, pushing their vastly over hyped and over rated product that becomes more predictable and uncompetitive each season.

The cup competitons represent our only realistic chance of a trophy, because we are not about to challenge for the Premier League anytime soon or any time at all with Ashley in charge.

All we will be left with soon is the weekly monotony and boredom of the Premier League with nothing to look forward to apart from the yearly slog and scrape to avoid relegation.

The FA Cup needs a higher profile, not a lower one and I for one would take winning the FA Cup over Premier League survival anytime

To me, replay's make it harder for smaller team to upset and advance farther. It's hard enough to play so well and draw big teams for one game, then you're forced to better that a game later. As a smaller team, I'd rather have the chance to beat Man Utd/Chelsea in penalties than go ahead and play them again.

To me, replay's make it harder for smaller team to upset and advance farther. It's hard enough to play so well and draw big teams for one game, then you're forced to better that a game later. As a smaller team, I'd rather have the chance to beat Man Utd/Chelsea in penalties than go ahead and play them again.

This. Must be a real sucker for an underdog putting in the game of their lives to have a big team struggle and scrape their way to a draw in 90 minutes, knowing full well that they'll come back a few weeks later stronger and better prepared.