£25m in Jan?

Yorkie

Buy a small 3rd world country and force everyone to play football every day for food, clean water and clothes, especially the kids. Would solve our scouting network & youth system problems in 10-20 years when we have entire villages of good players to choose from.

Just buy an entire defence, and for the first time since weve joined the Premiership, we'll have a supremely solid defence that the rest of the team can build on every time it gets the ball.

Baines £7mill

Miguel £8mill

Andrade £8mill

Woodgate £3mill

With a defence like that and Given behind it, all the rest of the team has to do is create a few chances and finish one or two. Martins, Duff, Dyer, Emre, Zog, Owen - not too shabby under a good manager.

Diop wouldn't cost £5m and I doubt Upson would only cost £3m. He is to them their best player and its not as if they let Pennant and Heskey go for peanuts is it?

Upson wants out, has only 18months on his contract, and is cost them £40kpw, which is the average wage of 10 Championship players. Along with him missing most of the season (out injured for SEVEN months) and the near on fact he wont be signing a new deal means now is the time to sell, and as soon as an EPL club has a bid rejected, he'll spit his dummy and demand to be listed.

If Brum get £3m, they'd be lucky.

How much for Diop then? (I must admit that I had him priced higher but brought him down to stay within £25m)

I reckon double that at least, we saw how Coleman plays ball with Boa Morte and IMO Diop is a much better and more influential player.

How come just about every single player mentioned here is Prem-based?

Surely it's cheaper to buy elsewhere...

Because anyone with 2 brain cells knows we cannot take a chance going abroad.

We dont have the luxury of a player taking 6months to adapt, we need change, and fast.

The players all mentioned have done decent work in the EPL previously and is why they are mentioned.

but at this point in time, i think it would be better to buy players who won't be a gamble(or as much of one), and who can make an impact right away.

Easy choice if you ask me!

1.First of all we are shit on the right wing so we must try for sean wright-phillips on loan

2. Sign Lucas Neill versatile defender who can play anywhere ccross back four

3. Sign Wayne Bridge as he is the quality we have needed in left back since Bernard left the club and came back a stick

4. Then we should sell Bramble and sign Matthew Upson and Patrick Kisnorbo as centre-halfs

5. To settle our strikeforce problems we should try sign tevez or darren bent

Easy choice if you ask me!

1.First of all we are shit on the right wing so we must try for sean wright-phillips on loan

2. Sign Lucas Neill versatile defender who can play anywhere ccross back four

3. Sign Wayne Bridge as he is the quality we have needed in left back since Bernard left the club and came back a stick

4. Then we should sell Bramble and sign Matthew Upson and Patrick Kisnorbo as centre-halfs

5. To settle our strikeforce problems we should try sign tevez or darren bent

But he's not actually that good.

i'm more or less with the pictureshow

bridge is a must

diop would be great

a new rb is also a must, and neill is a decent player

distin back wouldn't be too shabby

one more striker is also important, and bent just keeps on impressing

what i would like, however, is one foreign player in (read, non-pl based). and i really would like to see us go for gravgaard of fc copenhagen. he is agger's partner for denmark, and has been equally impressive. he is 29 and extremely strong and good in the air. he does lack a bit of pace, but has a great positioning sence and timing, so i think he would be able to compensate for the lack of pace. also he is a real leader from the back, who is very dangerous in deadball situations. i reckon we could get him for 2-3m.

Guest theunis

Id go for some defenders if we going local:

Upson ( Wants out)

Neil ( Hard worker)

Distin (is ok)

Bridge ( revive his career)

But if we going a bit risky but class:

Olivier Deschacht

Van Den Borre

both decent defenders and bBorre can cover right back and middle and Deschacht can do left and centre.

Diop in midfield could be a nice signing, SWP could also be a good option on the cheap if we can but dont think Chelsea will let him go just yet on the cheap.

Strikers well recon we only need time really, Martins showed that he is great saturday, Sibi good team player Ameobi should be back, but if we are going for some 1 ill go for Collin John

lets not reinvent the wheel here, by common consensus a lot of our players are decent, thus:

sell or release babayaro (500,000??) & bernard (no cash for bernard of course)

sell carr for, i don't know, 1m tops

sell bramble for anything we can get before his contract runs out, 500,000 tops but i doubt even that

dependant on another mid being signed i'd let emre go for 5m plus

i see no benefit in selling milner/n'zogbia/solano/duff/parker/butt at this time

ramage and taylor are proving themselves so to sign a whole new defence for the sake of it is idiocy

sell luque for anything we can get, even a swap deal to the end of the season, whatever....5m tops

therefore, and although i don't like the guy, lucas neill coming out of contract for less than 5m would be a good deal for us

i'd look at billy jones from crewe, young but can play anywhere across the back and has a contract dispute i believe

bridge for less than 5m would also be good for us, assuming his head is right

maloney from celtic also coming out of contract makes sense for us

barnes from derby, someone with potential for decent money

that leaves us, in my opinion given all of that needing to sign a shit-hot CB, and i'd be looking at someone like mertsaeker the german lad and as a striker darren bent....i think we'd have to prioritise one of them and i'd go for the defender for big money ahead of the striker....if we got the defender then get a loanee striker til owen comes back

that would leave as a squad:

given, harper, krul

bridge, jones, moore, mertsaker, taylor, ramage, neill, hunty

parker, butt, dyer, duff, n'zogbia, solano, pattison, milner, barnes

sibierski

owen (ahem), shola (ahem), maloney, ANO (Bent or loanee), obagoals

lets say 12m raised tops

spent 20-25m and have something resembling a squad that wouldn't need much work again in the summer assuming owen plays again

lets not reinvent the wheel here, by common consensus a lot of our players are decent, thus:

sell or release babayaro (500,000??) & bernard (no cash for bernard of course)

sell carr for, i don't know, 1m tops

sell bramble for anything we can get before his contract runs out, 500,000 tops but i doubt even that

dependant on another mid being signed i'd let emre go for 5m plus

i see no benefit in selling milner/n'zogbia/solano/duff/parker/butt at this time

ramage and taylor are proving themselves so to sign a whole new defence for the sake of it is idiocy

sell luque for anything we can get, even a swap deal to the end of the season, whatever....5m tops

therefore, and although i don't like the guy, lucas neill coming out of contract for less than 5m would be a good deal for us

i'd look at billy jones from crewe, young but can play anywhere across the back and has a contract dispute i believe

bridge for less than 5m would also be good for us, assuming his head is right

maloney from celtic also coming out of contract makes sense for us

barnes from derby, someone with potential for decent money

that leaves us, in my opinion given all of that needing to sign a shit-hot CB, and i'd be looking at someone like mertsaeker the german lad and as a striker darren bent....i think we'd have to prioritise one of them and i'd go for the defender for big money ahead of the striker....if we got the defender then get a loanee striker til owen comes back

that would leave as a squad:

given, harper, krul

bridge, jones, moore, mertsaker, taylor, ramage, neill, hunty

parker, butt, dyer, duff, n'zogbia, solano, pattison, milner, barnes

sibierski

owen (ahem), shola (ahem), maloney, ANO (Bent or loanee), obagoals

lets say 12m raised tops

spent 20-25m and have something resembling a squad that wouldn't need much work again in the summer assuming owen plays again

Haven't read through the thread so apologies if covered elsewhere.

Personally I'd say our greatest priority is a proven striker as we don't seem to able to score more than one goal at a time in the premiership home or away.  Our existing strikers bar Owen are really support strikers I think.  This puts huge pressure on our defence not to concede if we want to win (or draw away), and our defence isn't good enough to shut out the opposition.

I've been wondering how much of our problems in defence are totally down to the CBs.  Obviously our CBs aren't good enough but the full backs are woeful and need replacing desperately imo.  Are the CBs out of position because they're covering for Baba or Fathead?  Also it seems from what I read that the midfield sometimes doesn't provide enough protection for the defence.  I therefore wonder whether the order of priority should be:

a)  striker

b)  full backs

c)  defensive midfielder

d)  CB

We probably won't be able to find all the players in Jan we want, and we can't replace half the team and expect to improve overnight (see Portsmouth last season).

I suspect that Roeder (if he's still in charge) may go for striker, left back and CB in Jan.  I reckon he'll make do and mend in the midfield and right back positions till the summer.  If someone like Shaun Wright-Phillips became available (wishful thinking I know), I think he'd sell Milner and keep Nobby.  As already stated, the difficulty is attracting anybody decent given our league position.   

What do people think?