Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

The Frenchman was photographed on Tyneside this week but Hughton was claiming ignorance over it. “I read the reports,” said Hughton. “Certainly I have not seen him. Anything re: Ben Arfa, it is categorically speculation. Is he a player I like and admire, yes. But I honestly don’t know what the position is. I honestly don’t know.”

from the Journal.

Going a bit Arry there.

That'd be "He's a top, top player, a triffic lad, would I like to sign him? Yes. But unfortunately he's contracted to another club so I'm not sure what can be done there."

Either Hughton's categorically lying or he's simply not in the loop with what the club are up to. Kinda unsettling either way.

He's blatantly refusing to comment. Lying or not, I like the way he handles himself in the media.

Guest secteur2010

Either Hughton's categorically lying or he's simply not in the loop with what the club are up to. Kinda unsettling either way.

He knows man, he's just not at liberty to say anything, a la Ferguson, Wenger, etc.

Keep it shush till it's all done and dusted then turn up at the conference with a s*** eating grin.

*by 'conference' I don't mean League.

He knows man, he's just not at liberty to say anything, a la Ferguson, Wenger, etc.

Keep it shush till it's all done and dusted then turn up at the conference with a s*** eating grin.

*by 'conference' I don't mean League.

:thup:

If he genuinely doesn't know it is a concern but if he is just giving the media the brush off I have no problem with that.

He's blatantly refusing to comment. Lying or not, I like the way he handles himself in the media.

this.

It serves no purpose to say anything. Im glad he just doesnt mention it rather than play up to the media who want nothing more than a circus. Eventually the media will get sick and start throwing accusations at him about not showing respect to the fans by dodging questions, but its what they do. They will try and claim theyre there to get information for the fans, theyre not though.

Dont get me wrong, i wish we would just seal the Ben Arfa transfer, but ive no interest in Hughton telling me whats happening.

I just think there's a difference between saying 'I can't really comment' or similar, and 'I honestly dont know what the position is, I honestly dont know'.

Maybe, somewhat naively, he is thinking he is less likely to get hounded about it if he says he has no idea rather than just saying he can't talk about it.

Or maybe, somewhat naively, I am looking into it too much.

Or maybe there are financial negotiations going on which he isn't party to and that's what he's talking about when he says he doesn't know what the position is. Would we really want him sitting in on financial stuff anyway? I'd prefer him to be concentrating on his own job which is managing the football team, we've got a game tomorrow remember, what benefit would it do us for him to be wasting his time sitting in on the haggling? Judging by what's been reported, he's done his bit and has sold the club to the player, now it's up to others to get the deal done in the best interests of the club. There's no need for Hughton to be involved in the minutiae of it, so he could quite honestly not know what the current situation is without it being any problem whatsoever.

If Hughton said he couldn't comment on it then it would be clear we are in for the player. However, with his comments you can't say that for certain. The club clearly are having a hell of a time winding up the press and it's actually quite funny. They blatantly don't want anyone to know who their transfer targets are. They're giving nothing away.

I mean think about it ... Ben Arfa himself has mentioned Hughton's ideas of where to play him as being a huge spur for him to join Newcastle. What reason could he possibly have for making that up?

Or he's trying to pull a deal off. And also not trying to get into bother fr speaking to a player illegally.

It could just simply be a case of the club asking for a list of names and them going out and trying to get them.

Why would the manager be involved in negotiations? Hughton wouldn't meet HBA until a deal was agreed between the clubs.

Guest secteur2010

Smith out, Tiote (sp?) in, Ben Arfa I think we'll miss out on and a Championship striker coming in

That's my take on it.

A few french websites speculating this morning that Ben Arfa will start training with Marseille again on Monday. Some also say he's settled his differences with Deschamps. The websites are particularly reputable like but thought I'd mention it anyway.

There is always a chance that could happen the longer the deal isn't done. OM might offer him the position he wants, he might get disillusioned at our reluctance to buy him rather than loan...any number of possibilities.