Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Tough decision for Hughton.

We need Ben Arfa match fit quickly and he'll only get that by starting games. Blackpool at home is a good place to throw someone in as there is a chance of goals and plenty touches of the ball, as good a place as any to get off to a winning start and get fitness and confidence.

However, if you change a team that is playing well to throw in a player who isn't match fit you run the risk of it all backfiring on you. People talk about ruthless managers but they don't often throw in unfit players because of their reputation. I remember Ferguson bought Evra and Vidic in January but they didn't really settle in until the following season. If you're being ruthless then you drop the player with the bigger profile which is Ben Arfa and stick with the team that's performing for you. Ferguson stuck with Fletcher years back when he was lesser known in spite of bigger names on his bench, because the player was performing. If we're losing/drawing and need creativity, Ben Arfa's a great option off the bench, fresh legs and all that. If we're winning comfortably, he can come on and have a debut playing without any pressure.

I'd probably stick with the team which is doing the business and bring Ben Arfa on as sub, and I believe that's what Huhton will do. And I say that as someone who doesn't particularly like Nolan, but credit where it's due he's playing well, linking up well with players around him and on current form deserves to be in the starting lineup.

Just to back my point further, go here > http://www.nufc-forum.com/nufcforum/index.php?board=3.0 and check out the Hatem Ben Arfa Informations thread. There are 5/6 videos posted by a French fan, i've only watched one video so far in a game against Stuttgart in the CL but his vision, creativity and great passing range are there for all to see as much as his famed dribbling ability, this guy will unlock defences.

I will be surprised - but pleased - if Ben Arfa settles into the PL quickly.

Most foreigners take a while to step up the pace and as a player who likes to use the ball he will find his time

allowed on it to be much less than he is used to. We have only heard tales about his temperament so none of us know how he will react to players that set out to whack him...as in the Wolves game.

He needs to play games to adjust, but the club's results some first, esp against teams where we need to pick up the points so I would be tempted to give the current side a go for the first half and, if they have a comfortable lead at HT, to put him in then.

Whether Nolan is a favoured player or not should be immaterial - the team has to improve and that means managers taking difficult decisions with selection.

Just to back my point further, go here > http://www.nufc-forum.com/nufcforum/index.php?board=3.0 and check out the Hatem Ben Arfa Informations thread. There are 5/6 videos posted by a French fan, i've only watched one video so far in a game against Stuttgart in the CL but his vision, creativity and great passing range are there for all to see as much as his famed dribbling ability, this guy will unlock defences.

fucking hell he's canny good isnt he

Just watched all of them. Can see shades of three previous Newcastle players all wrapped up in one guy. Robert, Dyer and Beardsley.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Lovenkrands is the only player intelligent enough to make the runs for Ben Arfa

I think hear the dragging footsteps of a Ronaldo approaching...  :fishing:

Use the guy as an impact sub until he's up to speed with the rigours of the Premier League. It's a fast, physical league that Ben Arfa isn't used to so it would be daft to just chuck him in at the deep end and expect him to be shit hot.

Dos Santos is a similar kind of player to Ben Arfa and he couldn't hack it. He's getting the occasional run-out in the Spurs first team now but he's been in England for 3 years?

Whether Ben Arfa succeeds here or not doesn't change the fact that Nolan isn't the player to take us anywhere beyond survival at best. Paul Dickov used to score goals at Man City but you aren't going to get the same football like you get with Tevez. Which Newcastle do fans want us to be?

I'd drop Nolan without batting an eye lid.  I'm not looking forwards to seeing Barton, Routledge and Jonas playing perfectly weighted balls into space only to have to watch Nolan struggling with lead weights tied to his feet on Saturday.  I will add that I feel sorry for Nolan because he's got everything going for him other than pace and probably stamina.

Use the guy as an impact sub until he's up to speed with the rigours of the Premier League. It's a fast, physical league that Ben Arfa isn't used to so it would be daft to just chuck him in at the deep end and expect him to be s*** hot.

Dos Santos is a similar kind of player to Ben Arfa and he couldn't hack it. He's getting the occasional run-out in the Spurs first team now but he's been in England for 3 years?

Ligue 1 is quite fast and physical. Much more so than Spain. Several players from Spain, Portugal, etc actually have trouble adjusting to this league. I think the adjustment will be a fair bit easier. Also, OM under Deschamps were a team that focused on physical attributes and played a strong quick style.

I'd drop Nolan without batting an eye lid.  I'm not looking forwards to seeing Barton, Routledge and Jonas playing perfectly weighted balls into space only to have to watch Nolan struggling with lead weights tied to his feet on Saturday.  I will add that I feel sorry for Nolan because he's got everything going for him other than pace and probably stamina.

Its important to note that if he did have exceptional pace and stamina (on top of his current abilities) he wouldn't be playing for us...