Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

It's been mentioned before but playing Ben Arfa on the wing could also help with building up his confidence (ie. running at and beating defenders mainly).

Certainly, he's only started 3 games since he came back. He needs to build up match fitness, momentum and most importantly, confidence. I ultimately think he does suit a free role but for now, the wide area is ideal. If we're going to play him as a number 10, the current set up of the side needs quite a bit of tactical tweaking to suit it. Our last few attempts at it, have been a little half-hearted imo, i'm intrigued as to how it would work against Norwich mind, in a more open game compared to facing the league's top sides.

Wish people would just accept that Pardew and HBA have come to the conclusion he should play centrally. I don't know if it's just because people hate Obertan or what, but I don't see the big deal with him preferring the centre.

People are conflicted. They want him in the team but at the same time it's obvious he's less suited to that role than a striker who'll allow Ba to play his natural game.

Wish people would just accept that Pardew and HBA have come to the conclusion he should play centrally. I don't know if it's just because people hate Obertan or what, but I don't see the big deal with him preferring the centre.

People are conflicted. They want him in the team but at the same time it's obvious he's less suited to that role than a striker who'll allow Ba to play his natural game.

It's really not the right situation or time to flat out claim that it won't work, there are too many factors to consider and not enough time been given. I agree that right now, it's not suitable but I personally think it will be in the near future.

I'm curious as to what you think Ba's natural game is by the way? In what way does HBA hinder his game, apart from apparent less work rate? I see a striker that is a predator in the box and has intelligent movement and pace that can see him work off the shoulder as well. It's not like he'd have to be some kind of targetman for the formation to work.

I think Ba's more effective ghosting into the box. Ben Arfa being there places far too much focus on him.

We need someone who can play higher up the park than Ba, and do the donkey work when necessary. Best generally makes a good fist of this, plus he's far more of a goalscoring threat than HBA.

I think Ba's more effective ghosting into the box. Ben Arfa being there places far too much focus on him.

We need someone who can play higher up the park than Ba, and do the donkey work when necessary. Best generally makes a good fist of this, plus he's far more of a goalscoring threat than HBA.

Do you think Carroll and Ba would have worked?

I don't agree. Carroll was often very effective for us dropping deeper to win the ball and turn it into possession.

Plus, Best very rarely drops deeper than Ba.

Difference was though, Carroll was the main man. Regardless whether we think Best is playing a similar role or not, Ba is the main striker now. I just don't think they'd have worked. Best and Ba works to a certain extent because I think Best is more willing to do more of the donkey work to help create stuff and make space for Ba. I doubt Carroll would/could do that.

I don't even think it's a valid discussion to be honest. Carroll is completely irrelevant now.

Ba is only the main striker because he's getting more goals, and Best to a large extent facilitates that with his selflessness and his threat in the box.

Guest Benarfanufc10

WTF pardew shola :idiot2: ben arfa was very good vs city good vs man U and 45 min no ball kick and rush vs chelsea (chelsea win in CL Valencia 3 bestteam of liga)

Obertan plays all game  ;D

Ben arfa loan if pardew not want him.

Kick and rush  :cheesy: out of top 10 pl

WTF pardew shola :idiot2: ben arfa was very good vs city good vs man U and 45 min no ball kick and rush vs chelsea (chelsea win in CL Valencia 3 bestteam of liga)

Obertan plays all game  ;D

Ben arfa loan if pardew not want him.

Kick and rush  :cheesy: out of top 10 pl

Out of the top 10? Below who you moron.

Guest Benarfanufc10

Does seem bizarre that Pardew's patience with Obertan/Raylor/Simpson seems to be endless but HBA gets dropped after a pretty anonymous 45 minutes against one of the better sides in the league :lol:

Mascherano example  :cheesy: pardew :idiot2: i don't understand why

For best why not but shola and obertan :kasper: