Newcastle United 2 - 2 PSV Eindhoven - 31/07/10

ponsaelius

A Keegan-esque 4-3-3 with Vuckic playing the Owen role would have been loads more creative. The fact we don't have any real wingers available and still insist on playing 4-4-2 shows a real lack of imagination regardless of the setting or context.

Whilst the Vuckic in the Owen role is teetering into Football Manager nonsense, you do have a good point about our insistence on 4-4-2. If we dont have wingers available, its a bit worrying that our manager cannot dream up a plan b to fit the players he has available.

I don't reckon it is nonsesnse, since the 4-3-3 is realistically a narrow diamond shape with two strikers playing out wider. Vuckic plays best just behind the strikers and infront of midfield so why not? The lads out there on the wings are just going to cut in loads today anway.

Obviously I was just on about for this match, not week in week out in the Prem. Just to clarify :lol:

Nonsense was probably OTT to be fair. Its just that the 433 worked well with KK as he had three in form strikers. Hughton has Vuckic who is very much nowt more than a promising kid (and that he played last night pretty much ruled him out starting this game) and Shola/ Lovenkrands neither who are particularly mobile. Loven is essentially a goal paocher and Shola is Shola. 433 wouldnt work with those two in the side. You need bright intelligent mobile forwards.

True.

The 4-3-3 worked mainly because we got the right players up front that time imo. Viduka with his ball-holding ability (which Carroll and Ameobi both don't have), the pace of Martins (which Lovenkrands doesn't have) and the clevernes/goal-scoring ability of Owen.

Love how the dolts on commentary reckon they're only running us ragged because of superior fitness.

? not cutting us to ribbons with passing and movement?

Nah they don't have better players or anything, they've just played a few more pre-season games than we have.

Just mentioned it again, wahey!

And again.

What a depressing front six that is. Just shows with a couple of injuries we'll be utterly f***ed.

Every club is that. Even the big clubs like are s*** as soon as they get some injuries.

I reckon that the majority of the top 4's reserves could all make an impact on our first XI

Probably true. But they can't make the same impact in their respectively first XI. Which is why I said that every club will have problems as soon as some injuries to some key players come around.

Even our first XI is going to struggle to keep our necks above water. We need a full strength team for basically the whole season to have even half a chance of survival. It's a bit different to the difference between 3rd and 4th.

What a depressing front six that is. Just shows with a couple of injuries we'll be utterly f***ed.

Every club is that. Even the big clubs like are s*** as soon as they get some injuries.

I reckon that the majority of the top 4's reserves could all make an impact on our first XI

Probably true. But they can't make the same impact in their respectively first XI. Which is why I said that every club will have problems as soon as some injuries to some key players come around.

Even our first XI is going to struggle to keep our necks above water. We need a full strength team for basically the whole season to have even half a chance of survival. It's a bit different to the difference between 3rd and 4th.

I really think (and hope) we aren't that bad tbh.

I really think (and hope) we aren't that bad tbh.

We are if we don't strengthen further, no doubt about it..

Guest BooBoo

Surely its a basic concept that with selecting tactics, you see which players you have at your disposal and then choose a formation to suit them. I know this is only a friendly but if Hughton insists this season on continuing his square pegs/round holes tactics then we'll pay the consequences.

If you dont have any wingers available, why on earth choose 442? It seems like June and Crapello all over again.

Guthrie out on the right is a terrible thought in the premiership. Really could do with some cover out wide, Eagles is in the last year of his contract at Burnley and would be a decent rotation player.

Surely its a basic concept that with selecting tactics, you see which players you have at your disposal and then choose a formation to suit them. I know this is only a friendly but if Hughton insists this season on continuing his square pegs/round holes tactics then we'll pay the consequences.

If you dont have any wingers available, why on earth choose 442? It seems like June and Crapello all over again.

Theres no real basis to suggest we'd be doing better otherwise though.

Guest BooBoo

Theres no real basis to suggest we'd be doing better otherwise though.

How do you know for sure unless you try?

Some pics from the game & the new shirt:

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/103179108.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E68C79919032AE3CA66647B1C0B18B0524FA8DD39969B4768C

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/103179106.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E66182A9863DE97E656647B1C0B18B0524DEFFE5AB0729848C

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/103179126.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6EBDF7F3E5AC023006647B1C0B18B0524DF014AD924CA900C

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/103179152.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6839086F25AC2A1F06647B1C0B18B0524CD22ED543C1B033A