Aston Villa appoint Alex McLeish as new manager

Fenham Mag

Maybe Chelsea have made an approach for Hughes, stranger things have happened, see Grants appointment to Chelsea for form.

Apparently John Terry would welcome Hughes' appointment. Would be quite funny if he does become Chelsea manager :lol:

Lots of chatter down here (well, up there, as I'm a bit further down south, but I digress) about Benitez

What do you think of this Brummie.  Would you be happy with him?

I think it'd be a good appointment.

If we got the Valencia / early Liverpol Benitez, certainly.

If we got the late era Liverpool, quivering wreck Benitez, less so.

Theres still speculation (some in the Daily Mail tmrw) about it being Ancelotti, and others are saying Jol, but to be honest, I'm just happy the field of candidates mentioned includes such decent names.

Moyes (who won't come, but hey ho), Jol, Benitez, Ancelotti - I'd be more than happy with any of those.

Lots of chatter down here (well, up there, as I'm a bit further down south, but I digress) about Benitez

Theres still speculation (some in the Daily Mail tmrw) about it being Ancelotti, and others are saying Jol, but to be honest, I'm just happy the field of candidates mentioned includes such decent names.

Moyes (who won't come, but hey ho), Jol, Benitez, Ancelotti - I'd be more than happy with any of those.

How about Avram Grant?

How about Avram Grant?

Yeah man, he'd be absolutely swooney!!!111!!!

can't see Ancelotti going to a non champions league club to be honest

Why? He was saying recently he'd consider a Championship post.

To be fair, I thought he was joking / being gently patronising with that West Ham comment.

I doubt he'd come, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

Oddly, part of me thinks that Ancelotti would maybe act like we owed him something for coming (I have no idea what kind of person he is, so that might be unkind) and would be liable to get big job offers elsewhere all the time, whereas Benitez is looking like he has something to prove.

Sure you'd want another manager who goes to sleep looking longingly at his Robbie Fowler posters and humming YNWA?

That's the thing a lot of our fans are talking about.

It was bad enough with Houllier when we went up there. My mate went, said it was -10 that night, we were shite, and Houllier spent the night waving at the Kop and walked off without a glance at our lot (after we'd been slaughtered).

When I told him the next morning that Houllier had said "if i have to lose, I prefer it to be to Liverpool, as I like Liverpool" and had tapped the This is Anfield sign when going down the tunnel, I had to restrain him from heading to the training ground to lynch him.

So, yes, it is something he's going to have to be a bit sensitive about.

Sure you'd want another manager who goes to sleep looking longingly at his Robbie Fowler posters and humming YNWA?

That's the thing a lot of our fans are talking about.

It was bad enough with Houllier when we went up there. My mate went, said it was -10 that night, we were s****, and Houllier spent the night waving at the Kop and walked off without a glance at our lot (after we'd been slaughtered).

When I told him the next morning that Houllier had said "if i have to lose, I prefer it to be to Liverpool, as I like Liverpool" and had tapped the This is Anfield sign when going down the tunnel, I had to restrain him from heading to the training ground to lynch him.

So, yes, it is something he's going to have to be a bit sensitive about.

That would make me sick to my stomach had that been the Newcastle boss. I feel that things have gone stale at Villa. Need something/someone new. If I were Lerner, I'd go after someone who will come in and re-build the squad. There's some decent young talent there with a couple of excellent PL players. Martin Jol would be your best bet.

can't see Ancelotti going to a non champions league club to be honest

Why? He was saying recently he'd consider a Championship post.

To be fair, I thought he was joking / being gently patronising with that West Ham comment.

I doubt he'd come, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

Oddly, part of me thinks that Ancelotti would maybe act like we owed him something for coming (I have no idea what kind of person he is, so that might be unkind) and would be liable to get big job offers elsewhere all the time, whereas Benitez is looking like he has something to prove.

Read Ancelotti's autobiography recently. The bloke basically takes the piss out of himself on every page and generally seems like the least arrogant football manager on the planet. Ray Wilkins also says he's an adorable chap, and he's rarely wrong.

Former Barcelona boss Frank Rijkaard has contacted Aston Villa to let them know of his interest in the vacant manager's job. (Sunday Times, subscription required)

Guest MrSundlofer

Latest: A man working at the airport in Birmingham (Aston Villa fans says he is very trustworthy and has been reliable before) says he is 100% sure he saw Carlos Ancelotti arriving at the airport yesterday.

villa linked with ancelotti, rijkaard and benitez while we're managed by alan pardew :facepalm:

Still will sell their best players when top clubs come calling and no guarantee they'll invest it all back in to the club.

It'll be interesting to see what Villa do this summer as the club isn't in a position where it can sustain itself financially, they have a ridiculously high wage bill that will need sorting (currently 87% of income) and 2 of their best players have made noises in public about leaving.

Personally I think they peaked under O'Neill in terms of league positioning and will struggle to up their income much more so that leaves them the options of either Lerner continues to lend them money (that he charges them interest on apparently) or they have a major cost cutting overhaul.