Anyone Else Convinced....

Crumpy Gunt

Too early to tell isn't it?  I was impressed by the spirit shown tonight.  We only need to be better than West Brom, Blackpool and an other and we'll be fine. There has to be a chnace of that, right?

It all depends on how West Ham, Blackpool, Wigan and West Brom fare in the first few games.

If in five weeks, 3 out of 4 of them have been very poor then I think we may have just bought ourselves a ticket to another season in this league.

After watching tonight- although we started to lose our shape and discipline towards the end- I think that 2-3 additions to the squad and we'll be looking alright. Our moves just broke down in the final third, something Ben Arfa might improve.

I think we'll be ok.

It's early days obviously, but there are enough poor sides that we should be able to stay up and also to mean that getting relegated should be seen as a massive failure by all of those involved.

Were one of the poor sides though.

It's early days obviously, but there are enough poor sides that we should be able to stay up and also to mean that getting relegated should be seen as a massive failure by all of those involved.

Were one of the poor sides though.

We are, but there are easily 4 or 5 who could potentially be as bad as we might be, and we only need three of them to be worse than us.

Positivity. :thup:

The biggest indicator either way (at present of course) will be how we react to a bit of a pasting last night against Villa. They're good, but not unbeatable.

We're going to lose a lot of games this year and how well we bounce back will decide our fate.

With the current squad we'd go down, no doubt IMO.

Sign Ben Arfa and we'll have a fighting chance of staying up, though we'll still be up against it.

Ben Arfa and a quality striker and we'd stay up comfortably, I reckon.

I'm still of the opinion that we're one good player away from having a good chance of surviving, just.

This. Midfielder. Badly

Striker is a massively bigger need.

We've got one striker that offers any real threat whatsoever in our whole squad, we need someone else.

I'm still of the opinion that we're one good player away from having a good chance of surviving, just.

This. Midfielder. Badly

We've got one striker that offers any real threat whatsoever in our whole squad, we need someone else.

The need for a midfielder is bigger, though.

Without a good midfield we won't create (m)any chances, and without chances even a top striker won't get goals. (We had Martins, Viduka and Owen here two years ago)

Think attitude and tactics will play a huge part in our possible survival,  if we go into games with 5 man midfield with the attitude of not getting beat then we'll go down.

Blackpool have been written off already but are going out to attack and have fun,  they went to Wigan who are also likely to be down the bottom of the league but went with 3 up front and went straight at Wigan,  scored 3 in the first half and could've had double that. 

I doubt we'd have even played 2 up front,  we'd have went with Carroll up top and nolan off him and tried to contain Wigan and nick something.

This. Midfielder. Badly

The need for a midfielder is bigger, though.

Without a good midfield we won't create (m)any chances, and without chances even a top striker won't get goals. (We had Martins, Viduka and Owen here two years ago)

You could have Xavi playing in CM and we'd do nothing with our current striking options.

We have one striker that'll be of any use to us in the Premiership as a regular starter. Carroll will be a solid target man, but we desperately need someone to work off him. Shola's not good enough, neither is Lovenkrands. Best is rubbish and Xisco is probably a lost cause by now.

Barton and Guthrie are both capable of picking out a pass, they're not world class or anything but I'm confident they'd do some sort of job. They both work hard and get involved in the game as well, they're not bad players. Long term we're probably going to need more quality in there, but we at least have passable starters there and some decent depth in Gosling and Smith.

But if you've got the likes of Kevin Nolan playing in the hole you're basically pissing up against a wall, no matter who you have in CM. We need movement and a bit of guile up front, someone who can stretch defenses and give the midfielders some room to work in.

But up front we've got very little of that. None, some would say. Lovenkrands is the closest thing we have to it, but he hasn't got enough quality on the ball to really worry teams.

We very desperately need another striker or it'll be a long season.

At least one from Best and Xisco needs to leave before we'll even consider signing another forward IMO. Considering the former is injured and neither of them are much good, I can't see it happening.