Manchester Utd 3 - 0 Newcastle Utd - 16/08/10 - post match reaction from page 36

Dave

Guest neesy111

Decent pre-season test.

Thought Jonas was spectacular with his pace at times but again (surprise surprise) lacked a good final touch, although he did sometimes play the ball into an area where you'd expect at least one of our players to be within 700 lightyears of. Andy Carroll again played rather well given the absolutely hopeless role he plays up front by himself. Williamson looked strong in defense, and I was quite impressed by our passing at times.

What disappointed me most is Nolan, he showed again why he cannot in anyway function in the premier league as a midfielder, be it central or attacking. Like suggested previously in this thread, he has to be used as a striker or else he's hopeless. Our lack of pace in the centre desperately needs to be addressed.

Can't say I enjoy getting beat 3-0 but it means nothing, hopefully we'll kick off our season against Villa.

jonas is a liability against teams like man utd though, and cost us the 1st goal

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I`m sincerely worried about the Smith situation tbh

With Guthrie back there should be no doubt about who should start.

Guthrie is another windbag. 35yr old Scholes would have run rings round him too.

Yep. Those thinking Guthrie would have recovered our midfield are wrong, he's no fitter or faster than what we've already got

What did Hughton say after the game?

This group of lads...................

Was that it? It usually goes "What we've got here is a group of players that...." and then "what he is, is a player that can give us something different" etc. But he just went with that?

Just back from the pub so haven't read this whole thread. FWIW here is my opinion. Obviously we won't play teams as good as Manchester United every week, but we need to retain posession better, get tighter to players in and around the box, and not dangle legs in when we should be going in 100%. For me what stood out was how poor our full backs were. We know RB is a tricky position, Perch/Raylor/Simpson is the choice and that hardly inspires confidence. But Jose just looked lost at times. He gave the ball away too often and gave Valencia way too much space.

We looked ok early on but from about 30 mins in it all went tits up. Scholes was AWESOME. Seriously, he just gets better. But Rooney, woeful. Whatever is ailing him it needs to be sorted ASAP or they will have trouble against the better sides. Carroll should have scored but we had precious little else going on in the game bar a couple of crosses that caused minor problems. Would have liked to see Vukic come on rather than Shola or Xisco. But I'm sure he'll get his chance.

None of us expected more than a comprehensive defeat from today, and we got it, but I am a little more concerned than I was 5 hours ago because we made some very basic errors today. We desperately need a commanding midfielder and a new RB of premiership quality. Harper doesn't inspire me either, although he did little wrong tonight, it's just a feeling I have.

I've said it in other threads, the important games this season will be against the teams finishing 10th and downwards. So that starts with Wolves in 2 weeks. If we get something from Villa next week it's a bonus.

I'm worried. We all knew Nolan would go missing for the full 90 minutes. We all knew Perch was going to be exposed badly. And we all knew Smith was going to be chasing shadows all game.

So why doesn't our Chris.

Look what was on the bench man. Jesus Christ.

Barton, Smith and Nolan were all going to play, given Guthrie and Loven were both injured. If we'd had a fully fit squad and he'd still plumped for a 4-5-1, i'd have been pretty disappointed. As it was, we were on a hiding to absolutely nothing against a side like Manu - cos their players will just run the midfield and create chances all day long. We won't be the only ones they take to pieces this season. 

I don't think I made my point clearly enough. Aaron Hughes was able to man-mark Francesco Totti in his prime, out of a game, on his debut (if I recall correctly). Is Aaron Hughes a world-beater, or on any kind of level similar to Totti? Of course not. Instructions can be given by the manager and strategies attempted to try to prevent if not limit the damage.

The 3 stooges were invisible the whole game, I'm hoping that Hughton realises this and makes a big step up in tailoring game plans to counter opponents. When your team is stronger than theirs, you play to your strengths and you give people like Nolan a role behind the striker. When your team is weaker than theirs, you play to their weaknesses and exploit that. Where was the harassment of Rooney on his first Premier League game back from a disastrous World Cup? Are you honestly telling me Hughton didn't have a word with Joey Barton and ask him to get in his face a bit off the ball?

There's so much that could have been done, that seems obvious. Even with limited player ability, a good manager can at least show what he's trying to achieve on the pitch. Maybe he did give instructions, and the players just did their own thing (as maybe they did all last season), but we got away with it because of the shite poor quality of the Championship.

I just hope it's a big reality check and the players realise they aren't 'all-that', a la Mr 'I'm better than any English midfielder' Barton.

Decent pre-season test.

Thought Jonas was spectacular with his pace at times but again (surprise surprise) lacked a good final touch, although he did sometimes play the ball into an area where you'd expect at least one of our players to be within 700 lightyears of. Andy Carroll again played rather well given the absolutely hopeless role he plays up front by himself. Williamson looked strong in defense, and I was quite impressed by our passing at times.

What disappointed me most is Nolan, he showed again why he cannot in anyway function in the premier league as a midfielder, be it central or attacking. Like suggested previously in this thread, he has to be used as a striker or else he's hopeless. Our lack of pace in the centre desperately needs to be addressed.

Can't say I enjoy getting beat 3-0 but it means nothing, hopefully we'll kick off our season against Villa.

jonas is a liability against teams like man utd though, and cost us the 1st goal

Losing the ball as you're running it out of defence looks bad, but I wouldn't blame him entirely. It wasn't a great pass from Nolan, because Jonas had to check his stride slightly, and that made all the difference.

Guest neesy111

Decent pre-season test.

Losing the ball as you're running it out of defence looks bad, but I wouldn't blame him entirely. It wasn't a great pass from Nolan, because Jonas had to check his stride slightly, and that made all the difference.

simple stuff though, he should be aware that their would be players around him.  tbf the whole defence did errors which astounded me at times

I thought that Nolan was at fault for the first goal, he absolutely bottled it and passed the ball to somebody in a worse position than his own.

The ridiculous nonsense on this forum is astounding. You've even managed to put to shame some of the stupid fuckers sat around me at the game tonight.

A few months back, Man U beat Milan 4-0 at Old Trafford, destroyed them in 3rd gear. This is no litmus test whatsoever for individuals players or the the team as a whole.

Not as bad as I predeicted (4-0 loss so a goal better).

We were let off by a sub-par Rooney.

Barton stopped challenging for the ball after he was acrded and in general didn't run at the Man U midfield for my liking. I would have subbed him for Guthrie before I would sub out Smith who at least put his oar in. Barton thinks he is the best English midfielder... I hope he had his head shook by this game and realises how far he has to go.

Perch isn't good enough. I'd play just about anyone back there in his place. He was being protected by Routeledge as well who tracked back consistantly.

Routeledge was our only outlet and his passing let him down. If he could cross consistantly we'd have a great player. Not sure that will ever happen though. Still, he has confidence - he tried to dribble it through Rooney and Berbatov out of defense. He got away with it too, that's balls.

I didn't think WIlliamson and COloccini were that bad, but they didn't seem to be able to anticipate eachotehr very well. That also goes for Perch who was way in over his head and got in Williamson's way.

The ridiculous nonsense on this forum is astounding. You've even managed to put to shame some of the stupid fuckers sat around me at the game tonight.

A few months back, Man U beat Milan 4-0 at Old Trafford, destroyed them in 3rd gear. This is no litmus test whatsoever for individuals players or the the team as a whole.

I'm more confident of our chances this season after seeing the game tonight, if anything.

Er, what are you reading exactly? Most people are saying just what you are.

I thought that Nolan was at fault for the first goal, he absolutely bottled it and passed the ball to somebody in a worse position than his own.

That's bollocks mate, sorry. Gutierrez got mugged.

Er, what are you reading exactly? Most people are saying just what you are.

He must be up to the bit just before half time.

Think they've got to share the blame about 70/30, most of it going to Jonas for dwelling on the ball too long.

Guest neesy111

i think people are pissed off because we gave them 2 of the 3 goals tbh

...while checking his pony tail was in order.

Barton stopped challenging for the ball after he was acrded and in general didn't run at the Man U midfield for my liking. I would have subbed him for Guthrie before I would sub out Smith who at least put his oar in. Barton thinks he is the best English midfielder... I hope he had his head shook by this game and realises how far he has to go.

Perch isn't good enough. I'd play just about anyone back there in his place. He was being protected by Routeledge as well who tracked back consistantly.

Routeledge was our only outlet and his passing let him down. If he could cross consistantly we'd have a great player. Not sure that will ever happen though. Still, he has confidence - he tried to dribble it through Rooney and Berbatov out of defense. He got away with it too, that's balls.

I didn't think WIlliamson and COloccini were that bad, but they didn't seem to be able to anticipate eachotehr very well. That also goes for Perch who was way in over his head and got in Williamson's way.

Williamson doesn't look out of place in the PL, could turn out to be a real steal.

Williamson doesn't look out of place in the PL, could turn out to be a real steal.

Aside from one error I thought he was one of our best players and was left cleaning up after a stunned Colo and an outclassed Perch.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

Just back from the pub so haven't read this whole thread. FWIW here is my opinion. Obviously we won't play teams as good as Manchester United every week, but we need to retain posession better, get tighter to players in and around the box, and not dangle legs in when we should be going in 100%. For me what stood out was how poor our full backs were. We know RB is a tricky position, Perch/Raylor/Simpson is the choice and that hardly inspires confidence. But Jose just looked lost at times. He gave the ball away too often and gave Valencia way too much space.

We looked ok early on but from about 30 mins in it all went tits up. Scholes was AWESOME. Seriously, he just gets better. But Rooney, woeful. Whatever is ailing him it needs to be sorted ASAP or they will have trouble against the better sides. Carroll should have scored but we had precious little else going on in the game bar a couple of crosses that caused minor problems. Would have liked to see Vukic come on rather than Shola or Xisco. But I'm sure he'll get his chance.

None of us expected more than a comprehensive defeat from today, and we got it, but I am a little more concerned than I was 5 hours ago because we made some very basic errors today. We desperately need a commanding midfielder and a new RB of premiership quality. Harper doesn't inspire me either, although he did little wrong tonight, it's just a feeling I have.

I've said it in other threads, the important games this season will be against the teams finishing 10th and downwards. So that starts with Wolves in 2 weeks. If we get something from Villa next week it's a bonus.

Liked your comment here and agree with the points I missed myself, Harper is not as good and Given and we will get caught out this year I'm sure. I would have loved to see Vuckic (sp) instead of Xisco and Smith was predictably out of his depth with the late tackles.

God we could go on and on but we must keep track of our aim this season and it's not to conquer the Premier League but to survive it.

It's so important we get a RB. Like most wingers, Routledge is suspect defensively and it's absolutely imperative that we get someone with good judgement and tackling ability behind him.

Carroll played well, as did Wayne. I was impressed that Hughton took Nolan off. Not that myself and most on here wouldn't have done the same.