Newcastle United v Aston Villa (the season starts here, maybe)

Ishmael

Villa to me didn't play that well against West Ham, just West Ham being pretty poor. I think if you battle hard against this Villa side then we stand a good chance of getting a decent result, maybe even pinching the 3 points. Also hopefully by then Milner will be gone who creates so much of Villa's play, not only that but their goal keeper could be gone aswell who is fairly decent.

We could be catching them at the right time, if battle like we did today with a bit more creativity then we stand a real chance. I'm going to say a draw but hopefully we will nick it by the odd goal.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

If we play a 4-4-2 I think we could get a well fought draw, in our current 4-5-1 "thing", we'll lose 2-0

Krul

Perch - Williamson - Colo - Enrique

Routledge - Guthrie - Barton - Jonas

Carroll - Xisco/Loven

Perch...   ?

That's his name init? Think so anyway.

Jonny, that's just what i'd go for. If Guthrie and Lovenkrands are fit i think we'll go 4-4-2 with those two reverting to their natural positions. Obviously there's a good chance Nolan will start too, but Hughton's never shyed away from dropping the big characters and/or his favoured personnel.

:lol: you know it is and you know why I put the ?

The lad is shocking, so out of his depth, yeah he needs time but not time being thrown in to start games.

Yorkie, I would be tempted to give Xisco a go as well. We really need to get some support up with A-Train, and if we could get him to perform it would be a major plus for us.

Absolutely. We've got a small squad and it isn't gonna increase a huge amount. Like i say, it's just pointless having players sat there contributing absolutely nothing to the team's progression. That's before i even mention the wages they're raking in for no work. Xisco had a bad first year and didn't seem to set the place alight in Spain last season either, but i've got faith in Hughton to promise him a fresh start. The fact he brought him on against Man Utd shows that he's willing to give him - at the very least - a dip in the water. He wouldn't have even been in the squad two years ago; even with the same injury issues.

And tbh i just can't be arsed with Shola. He's a great finisher aswell as being a big twat - which is why he was efficient last season - but his sheer lack of movement and pace will see him walked all over in this division.

Krul

Carroll - Xisco/Loven

Perch... ?

Jonny, that's just what i'd go for. If Guthrie and Lovenkrands are fit i think we'll go 4-4-2 with those two reverting to their natural positions. Obviously there's a good chance Nolan will start too, but Hughton's never shyed away from dropping the big characters and/or his favoured personnel.

The lad is shocking, so out of his depth, yeah he needs time but not time being thrown in to start games.

Our new right-back gets raped in his first game by Giggs and Evra... then we drop him? Sounds like first-class man-management to me, that. :rolleyes:

Absolutely no point at all. We've barely even scratched the surface with this guy yet. He could be a decent player.

The Youngsters really need to be picked in place of Nolan and Smith.

Just watch and learn from Aston Villas kids this coming Sunday as an example.

They gave two young lads their home premier league debuts this weekend.

Marc Albrighton will show us what willing young legs given their chance can do to the opposition.

For some reason Newcastle United seem incapable of grasping the simple truth that energy and athletisism is an essential prerequisite of a top flight footballer.

Can someone tell me when we are ever going to see this again from Nolan, Smith or god help us, the ancient Cambell .

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Krul

Carroll - Xisco/Loven

Perch...   ?

Yep. Some of the hate for Perch is unjustified, Enrique was just as bad at times!

Our new right-back gets raped in his first game by Giggs and Evra... then we drop him? Sounds like first-class man-management to me, that. :rolleyes:

Absolutely no point at all. We've barely even scratched the surface with this guy yet. He could be a decent player.

Yep. Some of the hate for Perch is unjustified, Enrique was just as bad at times! And he was under a lot of pressure, which doesn't help.

Aston Villa are another side with pace and power. We can get a result there but we need to put out a side that won't run out of breath after 20 mins. Hughton needs to take a close look at his engine room.

If we go 4-4-2 and have Guthrie/Lovenkrands back, we'll suprise everyone and get a victory. 2-1 us.

Can't see him bringing them both back in their best positions unfortunately.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Why? ??? Yawn.

I think we could nick a win but a draw would be a reasonable result imo.

Simple.  Can't see him dropping Nolan.

The Youngsters really need to be picked in place of Nolan and Smith.

Just watch and learn from Aston Villas kids this coming Sunday as an example.

They gave two young lads their home premier league debuts this weekend.

Marc Albrighton will show us what willing young legs given their chance can do to the opposition.

For some reason Newcastle United seem incapable of grasping the simple truth that energy and athletisism is an essential prerequisite of a top flight footballer.

Can someone tell me when we are ever going to see this again from Nolan, Smith or god god help us, the ancient Cambell .

Athleticism and energy are basically half the game now, probably more than half. We don't have a load of brilliant youngsters seemingly, would like to see Vuckic get some minutes this season at least.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Aston Villa are another side with pace and power. We can get a result there but we need to put out a side that won't run out of breath after 20 mins. Hughton needs to take a close look at his engine room.

And what would you play? Guthrie isn't the fittest or fastest either,

Krul

Carroll - Xisco/Loven

Perch...   ?

He looked woeful pre season and lets face it was never signed as a 1st choice RB.. Simpson and S Taylor would both play ahead of him if fit. Ryan Taylor is probably just as good but definitely more confident.

I get the management issue but it goes both ways, drop him do his already shaken confidence more harm, but keep playing him and he keeps getting raped that could also ruin him.

We cannot keep putting in a weak link at RB, its a team game and the team need a player they can rely on.

And what would you play? Guthrie isn't the fittest or fastest either,

Yeah we have built up a large collection of slow central midfielders, something which has been pissing me off for a few seasons now. I'd probably stick someone more mobile alongside Carroll for now. There's not much we can do with that midfield with the players we've got.

Never gonna agree with you on this one, Skirge. He didn't appear to have a particularly great pre-season and i'm not denying that, in a few games, it could become clear that he isn't up to it - but slinging a clogger like Taylor in is just beyond pointless. He was a reasonable player to have in the squad last year, because his technique isn't bad, but he's never gonna be our long-term right-back in this division. Perch has been signed as the right-back and we need to stick with him for now.

I hope to god he comes good mate I really do, but he's not daft he knows he got ripped apart, maybe playing Jonas on the right would offer him more protection.. could work if we did get HBA.. means dropping Routledge though.

Never gonna agree with you on this one, Skirge. He didn't appear to have a particularly great pre-season and i'm not denying that, in a few games, it could become clear that he isn't up to it - but slinging a clogger like Taylor in is just beyond pointless. He was a reasonable player to have in the squad last year, because his technique isn't bad, but he's never gonna be our long-term right-back in this division. Perch has been signed as the right-back and we need to stick with him for now.

I though Perch had been signed as a utility player?

Was disappointed in Routledge tonight, got to say. I know he's all about the attacking, but the fact he wasn't even within yards of Giggs or Perch when the ball hit his foot (for the third goal) was pretty much criminal.

I though Perch had been signed as a utility player?

If he had, you'd think he'd have got a shot elsewhere in pre-season. I know Simpson's injured atm but Perch isn't the only other player in the squad who can claim to know the RB position - yet that's the only position he's featured. (Bar CB maybe?)

Was disappointed in Routledge tonight, got to say. I know he's all about the attacking, but the fact he wasn't even within yards of Giggs or Perch when the ball hit his foot (for the third goal) was pretty much criminal.

indeed...  and he trips over his own feet a lot, early days though we need a bigger squad so we have choices.

Routledge and Jonas both lacked quality on the ball I thought. But it's difficult to be too critical when there's no movement from the midfielders and only one forward who isn't exactly the best link man.