Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

at least he has the scott parker pirouette down pack. great game nevertheless O0

Second time I've seen this drivel. It keeps possession.

If he was doing it and getting tackled every time I would understand the point. Games like that you're crying out for central midfielders to buy you a bit of time with such composure - allowing the rest of the team to regroup at the back and move into advanced positions.

Parker did it ahead of attempting forward passes at times, undoubtedly, which did deserve a moan at home when it was excessively negative, but most of the time he simply had no options and had to keep the ball rolling and keep possession. I far prefer that to Alan Smith's approach of passing the buck on to the central defenders who will invariably howk it long and give the ball back to the opposition.

Like I said in the MT it was done with purpose. He helped us immensely by taking the pressure off, holding on to the ball and releasing it without passing it to the opposition. Clever play, HBA will get the plaudits from the press but Tiote for me was my MOM, i've not seen anything like him play for us in years, we've been crying out for him, and best of all he's ours, not a loan but signed on for the cause. I'm thrilled.

Its not a bad thing like, its a little frustrating at times when he could be making a pass and being creative but i guess that's not his job. TBH i was referring to one specific time when ben arfa was free on the left and he needed to distribute! but other than that his game was immense.

at least he has the scott parker pirouette down pack. great game nevertheless O0

Second time I've seen this drivel. It keeps possession.

If he was doing it and getting tackled every time I would understand the point. Games like that you're crying out for central midfielders to buy you a bit of time with such composure - allowing the rest of the team to regroup at the back and move into advanced positions.

Parker did it ahead of attempting forward passes at times, undoubtedly, which did deserve a moan at home when it was excessively negative, but most of the time he simply had no options and had to keep the ball rolling and keep possession. I far prefer that to Alan Smith's approach of passing the buck on to the central defenders who will invariably howk it long and give the ball back to the opposition.

Like I said in the MT it was done with purpose. He helped us immensely by taking the pressure off, holding on to the ball and releasing it without passing it to the opposition. Clever play, HBA will get the plaudits from the press but Tiote for me was my MOM, i've not seen anything like him play for us in years, we've been crying out for him, and best of all he's ours, not a loan but signed on for the cause. I'm thrilled.

Its not a bad thing like, its a little frustrating at times when he could be making a pass and being creative but i guess that's not his job. TBH i was referring to one specific time when ben arfa was free on the left and he needed to distribute! but other than that his game was immense.

I might have missed that incident, but overall in his mind the type of game it was his duties were to defend and retaining possession was vital to see out the win in the 2nd half. Maybe when he's more comfortable in the team he'll see those balls quicker and release, i think the same can be said for HBA timing as well. Just need to gel but the quality of both is there.

Football is funny like, was depressed as a fuker all weekend due to the Blackpool game, now on a high...NUFC rollacoaster.

How did Alan Smith do?  :coolsmiley:

Just the one dodgy moment when he jumped off the bench to clatter a water bottle someone had left on the side of the pitch

He's so much better than Smith, it's just ridiculous. He's athletic, strong, two good feet and keeps possession very well. He switched the play nicely and is able to take the sting out of the game when we're on the back foot. Worked well with Joey, as well.

:coolsmiley:

He's so much better than Smith, it's just ridiculous. He's athletic, strong, two good feet and keeps possession very well. He switched the play nicely and is able to take the sting out of the game when we're on the back foot. Worked well with Joey, as well.

:coolsmiley:

Smith should do the right thing and retire after that display.

Did the lot today! A superb debut.

His decision making seems to be spot on. He can tackle, pass and move, he finds space to receive, he drove the ball forward and with pace, and even had the temerity to have a pop from range. Looks to be physically and mentally strong. Delighted with his performance  :clap:

Read the first 8 pages of the match thread or so. He made a notable difference on the teams' dynamic. He's mobile, can make a pass and can tackle.

Awesome all over.

Just what we were crying out for then. Very encouraging signs so far, and against one of the better midfields as well.

Read the first 8 pages of the match thread or so. He made a notable difference on the teams' dynamic. He's mobile, can make a pass and can tackle.

Awesome all over.

Just what we were crying out for then. Very encouraging signs so far, and against one of the better midfields as well.

a battling never say die midfield, baptism of fire in that repsects. We'll come across better quality mids who can pass it around, but physically he's up for the fight, it doesn't really get tougher though they were vitally missing Cahill.

going to fish out my sock/slipper "tiotes" this evening in homage to a decent defensive centralmidfielder.

P.S. He was lucky on more than one occasion whilst pirrouetting as he nearly lost the ball. For those who say that they do this forlackof options it is more like they do not have the skills to create an extra yard to get the pass away...

Did the lot today! A superb debut.

His decision making seems to be spot on. He can tackle, pass and move, he finds space to receive, he drove the ball forward and with pace, and even had the temerity to have a pop from range. Looks to be physically and mentally strong. Delighted with his performance  :clap:

+1, great to see a forward thinking player like this, take note smith