Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

And even if 'this means nowt about his future', then for me its:

Going into the summer with him on a bumper new contract > Going into the summer in the situation we were in.

It's not as if NOTHING changes with this. This contract has to make some sort of difference, otherwise there'd be no point to doing it.

Exactly !

and its laying down a marker for the other players who were/are worried about the clubs direction.

Yup. Hopefully it opens the floodgates for Enrique and Barton.

and David Craig

Guest firetotheworks

This is a very, very good decision. It gives a signal of intent to Jose and Barton to sign their's, or at the very least means Tiote would be sold for a very large amount.

And even if 'this means nowt about his future', then for me its:

Going into the summer with him on a bumper new contract > Going into the summer in the situation we were in.

It's not as if NOTHING changes with this. This contract has to make some sort of difference, otherwise there'd be no point to doing it.

Exactly !

and its laying down a marker for the other players who were/are worried about the clubs direction.

Like Barton and Enrique.

In this particular case the club could have done no more, really.

So credit to them.

Just can't see anyone having success trying to tap Tiote up in the immediate future.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's actually quite a few disappointed directors of football/wheeler-dealers out there today, because of this news.

In this particular case the club could have done no more, really.

So credit to them.

Just can't see anyone having success trying to tap Tiote up in the immediate future.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's actually quite a few disappointed directors of football/wheeler-dealers out there today, because of this news.

Yep, i think its pissed on a few plans for other teams in the summer thinking they can get him on the cheap.  Either you pay top whack or fuck off.

I dont think he'll leave tbh.

Lets hope he hasn't just been a one season wonder

Not a concern tbh.

He's so calm on the ball whilst remaining reassuring. An absolute credit to the club and arguably our most naturally talented player since Shearer.

I think it is much harder for a player with Tiote's attributes to be a one season wonder than a striker for example. A player can score 20 goals in a season (and that in itself cannot be argued with) but it maybe that certain 'luck' based elements which have helped them such as balls dropping in the right areas, goalkeeping errors, penalties might not be replicated the following season. Whilst their ability to finish might not have been dimished they may only score 5 goals the following season.

With a player like Tiote I would argue that he has the ability to personally influence much more of his game. For example his workrate is something only he can determine. His natural ability to tackle and pass will also not just go away over the summer. Whilst it is not impossible for him to be a one season wonder I see it as highly unlikely.

I think it is much harder for a player with Tiote's attributes to be a one season wonder than a striker for example. A player can score 20 goals in a season (and that in itself cannot be argued with) but it maybe that certain 'luck' based elements which have helped them such as balls dropping in the right areas, goalkeeping errors, penalties might not be replicated the following season. Whilst their ability to finish might not have been dimished they may only score 5 goals the following season.

With a player like Tiote I would argue that he has the ability to personally influence much more of his game. For example his workrate is something only he can determine. His natural ability to tackle and pass will also not just go away over the summer. Whilst it is not impossible for him to be a one season wonder I see it as highly unlikely.

or if its a forward that comes into the league, defenders may not know much about them.  The next season defenders know how to try and manage them.

This has taken me completely by surprise. Fantastic news and it's encouraging that one of our best players has committed the best years of his career to us. Hopefully Enrique and Barton sign too and we can build to the core we've already got. :)

or if its a forward that comes into the league, defenders may not know much about them.  The next season defenders know how to try and manage them.

Carroll