Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest zicomartin

I just checked out the replay of the disallowed Tiote goal,  the ball appears to strike the closing down defender, putting increased spin on the ball, and thus decieving the keeper. Mitrovic didnt touch it, Foster saw it the whole time, the first Newcastle player potentially blocking his view was not even offside.

WBA then con the ref that Mitro touched it with his hand.

Hate fuckng Pulis.

If only we'd got Shelvey in the summer. Fair enough Swansea probably had no interest in selling back then but just someone like him, we'd have won 1-2 of those first 8 even and we'd not be in this mess.

Totally agree, even having Tiote  fit and in this kind of form would have made a difference, as our midfield was pathetic and the root cause of a large amount of early defeats.

Common denominator - jack colback

And Anita

But he played for Ajax and that :/

If only we'd got Shelvey in the summer. Fair enough Swansea probably had no interest in selling back then but just someone like him, we'd have won 1-2 of those first 8 even and we'd not be in this mess.

Totally agree, even having Tiote  fit and in this kind of form would have made a difference, as our midfield was pathetic and the root cause of a large amount of early defeats.

Common denominator - jack colback

And Anita

But he played for Ajax and that :/

Dutch international.

Fortunately history shows they are exceptionally adept at football-related decisions.

Indeed but McClaren has come out saying he wants him to stay. He's going to look more of a plum than usual if he's then flogged for £4m or so to China. Besides - he's doing well at the moment. Sell him in the Summer, not now.

Always thought he was pretty pointless at home against teams like WBA.  They were happy to let us have the ball and in games like that in the past, I've always thought Tiote was more of a hindrance.  But he dovetailed really well with Shelvey, he was 100% committed, without all the ill-discipline.  He won pretty much every header just in front of the back 4 and it was great to see him playing like that. 

WBA were absolutely tragic, mind.  Most of our players were a 7 or an 8, at least.  So it is a bit hard to judge.  Although it is the third game in a row where he's played well.

"Tioté has only been back training with us for two days but he’s 100% committed and, if he keeps his composure and passes simply, he’s a very good player. I hope he stays now.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/07/newcastle-united-steve-mcclaren-cheik-tiote-west-bromwich-albion?

People have been saying for years Tiote is most effective when he keeps it simple, seems we finally have a manager who can get the point across.

I agree with that.  But under Pardew, he played far more advanced and tried the Hollywood shit on a regular basis.  Considering the fact he was usually playing with Cabaye, there's no excuse for it like there is if he plays with Colback or Anita.  Pardew did also say he wanted him to be like 'our Essien'.  Something like that anyway.  I remember a noticeable change in how he played and he spent long spells being infuriating and utter shit. 

If he stays in the team, it will be interesting to see if he can keep this up.  Or whether he'll go back to getting injured a lot, getting booked all the while and being a liability in possession .

The problem is he's got more balls than Anita or Colback so when he's with them it falls to him to try and make things happen as they're just happy to hide behind him

Aye, this was always the case. I don't buy he was always trying Hollywood balls alongside Cabaye. He mostly kept it simple.

Anita & Colback play exactly the same way no matter the scoreline - pass sideways. If we are 1-0 behind, Tiote has always tried to drive the team forward.

HIs biggest issue for me is the nervousness that almost getting caught in possession 1 or 2 times a game can spread among the team and early yellow cards limiting his ability to put a foot in. Fouls on the edge of the area too tbf.

We would surely be mad to let him go now, whatever the offer. Could be a big player for us in the second half of the season and have a large influence on survival. Even on a financial basis keeping him and staying up has got to be more attractive than letting him go for a relatively low fee and risking the drop.

The problem is he's got more balls than Anita or Colback so when he's with them it falls to him to try and make things happen as they're just happy to hide behind him

Aye, this was always the case. I don't buy he was always trying Hollywood balls alongside Cabaye. He mostly kept it simple.

Anita & Colback play exactly the same way no matter the scoreline - pass sideways. If we are 1-0 behind, Tiote has always tried to drive the team forward.

HIs biggest issue for me is the nervousness that almost getting caught in possession 1 or 2 times a game can spread among the team and early yellow cards limiting his ability to put a foot in. Fouls on the edge of the area too tbf.

He was playing much higher up the pitch, taking on ridiculous long shots on a regular basis and never getting taken to task for them.  There was some stats on here, where it kind of highlighted Pardew's game plan of get a load of shots in from a long way out and hope for the best.  Tiote's shots per game had more than doubled under him, I believe.  I also think he tried to force the game and certainly spent time ahead of Cabaye for long spells, which is just utterly ridiculous.

In 13/14 I think it was as much Cabaye as it was Tiote, he started sitting far too deep

Wrong season. Cabaye played as an AM until January - when sold to PSG.

In the previous season he dropped deeper because Tiote kept losing the ball in our half.

. “But with Taylor and Tioté we had fight and character on the field. Their spirit is exactly what we need. If you get that from those two, the rest follow. They’re so aggressive in the way they play. Tioté has only been back training with us for two days but he’s 100% committed and, if he keeps his composure and passes simply, he’s a very good player. I hope he stays now.”

At least McClaren recognises that Tiote's major flaw has been to overplay on the ball, for which I put a lot of blame on Pardew. I still think a fully fired up Tiote gives us a physical presence and steel that none of the other midfielders can match, and that includes Saivet.