Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/29484-nufc-news-we-could-finish-anywhere-tiote.php

Newcastle United midfielder Cheick Tiote has said it is difficult to predict where his side will finish in the Premier League next season.

The Magpies gained a spot in the Europa League last term after ending the 2011-2012 campaign in fifth place but were involved in a relegation battle last season.

Tiote is optimistic about his team’s chances of getting into Europe again but also warned his team-mates that they could be in the second tier if they are not at their best.

Talking exclusively to SportsDirect News, he said: “I could say we’ll finish sixth or seventh but then again we could be in the Championship [by the end of the season]. It’s going to be difficult.

“Of course we will try our best, try to win every game until the campaign ends and see where we finish. If we do the right things, like we did two seasons ago [we can get into Europe].

“Last season was very difficult for everyone with playing in Europe and the Premier League. We didn’t have the biggest squad to play in the two competitions.

"It was new for us and that’s why I think we didn’t do well. But this season we can focus on the Premier League."

The Ivorian midfielder also reserved praise for his manager Alan Pardew and believes his bond with the players will hold the Toon in good stead for the upcoming campaign.

“He [Pardew] is a good manager and a good man, he listens to every player. He is close to us and that’s why we want to win things for the manager,” Tiote added. “We have a good relationship and good communication with him. He is the right manager for Newcastle.”

Tiote in a nutshell. We'll go nowhere with such players.

Utter bollocks. On current form he shouldn't be starting for us, in a position I'd agree that we don't need to find a place for in every game. But he's not hopeless by any means, and can be useful if used in the right way by a competent manager.

Used to do what, angry man?

He had a reasonably competent manager at Twente who used him in exactly the right way - on the bench.

Not arguing that he should be an automatic starter. Certainly not on his form all of last season and large parts of the season we finished 5th. But he did have some incredible performances when tactically, he was needed (Man Utd 3-0 at home comes to mind). Not sure if you would bin him entirely because you think he's hopeless or not. I just disagree that he's a player "we'll go nowhere" with.

He'll drag us down if he's a regular. He slows down play, gives away goals with his recklessness and is generally an accident waiting to happen in the games in which he's noticeable, ie not at home against the sides we should be beating.

I'd play him away at OT etc when we could do with another body in there to upset the opposition and generally spoil.

Given that you yourself said a while back that he'd been figured out and couldn't be trusted under pressure I'd say you think the truth's pretty close to what I've been saying.

that dosent mean a player can't adapt. he's got basics which he is good at, in his case covering in front of the defence which coulkd be ideal with attacking full backs of the santon/debuchy style (tiote could sink back to spread the centre halves and allow them to push on)

hes defintly been sussed on the ball as a standard centre mid picking the ball up of the centre halves.

If we want the best out of someone like Cabaye (ie, playing further up the pitch like most people seem to want on here), you need the other midfielder to be trusted to have a bit of ability behind him and have a range of passing too, otherwise, Cabaye will always drop deep if Tiote's game is just going to be about winning the ball and giving it to someone else.

If we want the best out of someone like Cabaye (ie, playing further up the pitch like most people seem to want on here), you need the other midfielder to be trusted to have a bit of ability behind him and have a range of passing too, otherwise, Cabaye will always drop deep if Tiote's game is just going to be about winning the ball and giving it to someone else.

Yeah that's a good point about Tiote but surely that's where someone like Sissoko would come in handy if he was played in his proper position.