Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

I want to apologize to my teammates, management and most of all fans to let you down with my actions yesterday. I promise in future I will do my utmost to ensure this does not happen again.

:thup:

Seems he knew he was in the wrong.

Well he wasn't.

So he's apologising for a perfect challenge? Aye, that's it.

He's apologising because he was sent off and will feel like he's let everybody down. That doesn't automatically mean he thought he deserved to be sent off.

He's saying what makes him sound honorable and humble, rather than a Steve Bruce type who love a whinge or a moan. Whether he believes it or not is a different matter, the way he is as a football player makes me think he knows he has done nothing wrong.

Nolan has blasted the ref and FA for this, one of the top stories on skysports.com. Nice to see our captain speak his mind, the way he speaks has always led me to believe he'll become a good manager, can't really say why.

Video;

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6660486,00.html

What's the point in having these appeals because there's no way in the world that was a red card,

We've got to change the system because that is not right.

He didn't touch the player, the lad's even said he didn't touch him, and I think everyone who's looked at it has agreed it's not a sending-off and it's not a red card, so how has he still got a three-game ban.

We're going to lose arguably one of our best players of the season, if not the best player of our season, because of a mistake by a referee.

Guest Roger Kint

It is a mistake when the ref obviously watches it again afterwards and doesnt say so surely? His report should have included an admission that in hindsight he was wrong.

Dunno, on balance I think it shouldn't have been a red, but I can see arguments why it should have been - as this thread proves.

Either decision could be argued to be right really... in those cases I'm not expecting a referee to change his mind.

It's a tough one, don't get me wrong.

Could Nolan not get into bother for saying stuff like that?

Managers who criticise referees get fined so if a player does the same, and in fact goes further by criticising the appeal process, he is surely asking for it? Mind you a fine won't make much difference to Nolan or anyone for that matter.

In my opinion the whole apeal and review system needs a major overhaul, there will allways be complaints as it will never be perfect, but there needs to be a sense of consistency across the board.

I don't know exactly what happens currently but i'd like something like this:

A panel of about 11 professionals in touch with the modern game, from ex-managers to ex-referees from League 2 to the Premier League (as well as a couple of reserves to cover apeals made by any of the panel's favoured teams). This panel would come together with a few from the FA and determine some clear cut rules amongst themselves for anything that may be apealed.

Any team from League 2 onward can apeal to this panel any wrongful dismisal/fine etc that they wish to be upheld, obviosly with consequenses if the apeal fails, such as a set fine and/or an extention to the ban. This would include any incident that the referee has seen, in which case the referee would be given the oppotunity to voice his version of the events from what he could see, but he would have no further say on whether or not the apeal is upheld or not.

The panel would then look at every apeal, discuss it as a group and then vote (in private) whether they wish to reject or accept the apeal, with the majority vote winning, obviosly.

The panel would never change if possible throughout the season (and longer if possible) to keep a sense of consitancy to the decisions. (To reiterate this panel would not include any of the boffins from the FA, but managers, referees and ex-players etc.)

By the letter of the law it was a red card, but anyone who knows anything about football knows that was a fair challenge. I'm not one for agreeing with some of the idiotic 'older' pundits who harp on about the good old days, but when quality tackles like that are outlawed it goes to show the wrong people are running the game.

Likewise the appeal system is an utter joke. What's the point of having video evidence when it's barely used correctly? This season already we've seen a scandalous tackle from Cahill on Jara down his achilles which went unpunished, a blatant stamp from Huddlestone and a headbutt from Hutton which were all completely overlooked. It's just embarrassing really.

By the letter of the law it was a red card, but anyone who knows anything about football knows that was a fair challenge. I'm not one for agreeing with some of the idiotic 'older' pundits who harp on about the good old days, but when quality tackles like that are outlawed it goes to show the wrong people are running the game.

Likewise the appeal system is an utter joke. What's the point of having video evidence when it's barely used correctly? This season already we've seen a scandalous tackle from Cahill on Jara down his achilles which went unpunished, a blatant stamp from Huddlestone and a headbutt from Hutton which were all completely overlooked. It's just embarrassing really.

Seems the FA's appeal system is about as much use as the FIFA world cup canvassing system.

i.e. a complete waste of time and money as they've already made their mind up.

In my opinion the whole apeal and review system needs a major overhaul, there will allways be complaints as it will never be perfect, but there needs to be a sense of consistency across the board.

I don't know exactly what happens currently but i'd like something like this:

A panel of about 11 professionals in touch with the modern game, from ex-managers to ex-referees from League 2 to the Premier League (as well as a couple of reserves to cover apeals made by any of the panel's favoured teams). This panel would come together with a few from the FA and determine some clear cut rules amongst themselves for anything that may be apealed.

Any team from League 2 onward can apeal to this panel any wrongful dismisal/fine etc that they wish to be upheld, obviosly with consequenses if the apeal fails, such as a set fine and/or an extention to the ban. This would include any incident that the referee has seen, in which case the referee would be given the oppotunity to voice his version of the events from what he could see, but he would have no further say on whether or not the apeal is upheld or not.

The panel would then look at every apeal, discuss it as a group and then vote (in private) whether they wish to reject or accept the apeal, with the majority vote winning, obviosly.

The panel would never change if possible throughout the season (and longer if possible) to keep a sense of consitancy to the decisions. (To reiterate this panel would not include any of the boffins from the FA, but managers, referees and ex-players etc.)

Some good points except for the private voting...if anything FIFA has thought us, it's that private voting just creates a gold mine for corruption

The simple fact that if it's even remotely arguable that the red card was fair, the FA is not going to rescind it. That would be a total nightmare for refs.

The only time the FA will ever take back a card is if everyone with eyes can see that it's totally, blatantly wrong (like Beye's tackle against Robinho a couple years back.) A case can be made that Tiote's tackle was a red card offense, therefore the appeal never had a chance.

Surely the problem is not the red card itself but the automatic three-game ban?

Why is slightly mistiming a 50-50 or in Tiote's case jumping at a ball with a raised foot at a distance that is borderline safe from an opponent deemed "violent conduct"? An outright professional foul that denies a goal (the biggest way to change a game) is only a one game ban. All this both feet off the ground=out of control is nonsense. Is every goalkeeper out of control when they make a save?

Tiote is getting the same punishment as Barton for his punch and Colo for that elbow. The incidents are worlds apart.

For Tiote, the sending off itself and disciplinary points are sufficient punishment, no further ban should be needed.

For Gerrard at the weekend, maybe make him sit out a game or two. Three is too many for me.

For Barton's punch, a five game ban wouldn't be out of place.