Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

I can understand some of the cynicism like. It's not because people are being overly negative but because of the way the fans have been let down/lied to by the people running the club for the last few years.

It'll take a lot more than Tiote signing on to wipe all the negative stuff away for some people. Some are unwilling to get their hopes up and will always see the cloud attached to any silver lining, it's human nature.  

(I'll just qualify that by saying I'm genuinely delighted by him signing on btw. :))

People were saying Carroll wasn't worthy of a pay increase after a good half a season in the Premier League. Well we've just given Tiote one and even now he's only played one more game than Carroll had by that time (and only one month further into a new contract too).

This is great news but some of the arguments given in favour of selling Carroll don't quite stack up.

One of the points I was trying to make, you've just got it across better.

In my opinion it would have been better to award the contract to him at the end of the season, rather than to throw it at him in an attempt to appease the masses/players.

People were saying Carroll wasn't worthy of a payrise because he'd just had one, and most were of the opinion that offering to renegotiate in the summer was a fair offer. The Tiote situation is different in pretty much every aspect.

Tiote signing this deal gives the impression of several things:

1. Tiote is comfortable with spending the next few years in Newcastle.  He feels that the club's ambitions can match his own.  This is no small impression to give off when we're attempting to tie up other contracts (and sign players in the summer).

2. The club WILL reward high-quality players with high-quality contracts, but will not necessarily do so when (in their estimation) held to ransom.

3. If another club wants to sign Tiote, they will have to pay a large® transfer fee and large® wages.  Again, in the UEFA Financial Fair Play era, this is no small thing.

Ultimately, it's phenomenal news.  Does a lot to lift the Carroll cloud.  Can't see any downside at all.

People were saying Carroll wasn't worthy of a pay increase after a good half a season in the Premier League. Well we've just given Tiote one and even now he's only played one more game than Carroll had by that time (and only one month further into a new contract too).

This is great news but some of the arguments given in favour of selling Carroll don't quite stack up.

In my opinion it would have been better to award the contract to him at the end of the season, rather than to throw it at him in an attempt to appease the masses/players.

People were saying Carroll wasn't worthy of a payrise because he'd just had one, and most were of the opinion that offering to renegotiate in the summer was a fair offer. The Tiote situation is different in pretty much every aspect.

But why is it? Surely if a player is wanted by another club, who will offer them more money - you show that you want them at your club by offering as close as you can to what they would earn elsewhere?

At least that's the way I see it ...

But why is it? Surely if a player is wanted by another club, who will offer them more money - you show that you want them at your club by offering as close as you can to what they would earn elsewhere?

But what if we couldnt offer anywhere near was the other club was offering?

So everytime a player is wanted by a club we increase our wages for that player? Mega  :facepalm:

No, people were saying that Caroll wasn't worth a SECOND pay increase in one season, having just signed a new contract in September. I believe they offered to renegotiate in the summer, which seemed fair enough to me.

Or a better deal to protect the asset. I am surprised people still think we sold because of a transfer request & a pay rise WE sold because of a £35 million bid.

we sold because of all 3., if not there was no need for the request.

No, people were saying that Caroll wasn't worth a SECOND pay increase in one season, having just signed a new contract in September. I believe they offered to renegotiate in the summer, which seemed fair enough to me.

Or a better deal to protect the asset. I am surprised people still think we sold because of a transfer request & a pay rise WE sold because of a £35 million bid.

we sold because of all 3., if not there was no need for the request.

Do you honestly think if he did not put a transfer request in he would still be here?

That only came about because of the messing around.

I honestly think that Carroll could have stayed at NUFC on his current deal. If he hadn't asked for more money, the club wouldn't have had to say no, then he wouldn't have submitted a transfer request and we would have been "selling him against his will" if he did leave.

Anyway, this is all about the C-Bomb!

:tiote: