Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

We can't afford to lose him for three matches. The end.

I agree. I don't think he's the sort of player that you can ask to pull out of challenges. Aggression is part of his game.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/05/08/alan-pardew-cheick-tiote-needs-to-control-his-temper-79310-28652323/

Alan Pardew: Cheick Tiote needs to control his temper

May 8 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE boss Alan Pardew will pack his player of the year Cheick Tiote off for the close season with a flea in his ear about ill discipline.

Pardew has hailed “brilliant” Tiote as almost the complete Premier League midfielder – possessing bravery, speed, strength and superb technique.

But he admits that the Ivorian enforcer desperately needs to eradicate the silly bookings that have already seen him already miss five games so far this season.

Before today’s clash with Birmingham Tiote was just two bookings shy of 15 for the season. Totting up that number would see him banned for another three games – a suspension that would run into the start of next season.

Pardew admits he has toyed with the idea of resting the player to spare him that fate, but is frustrated that he is even thinking about benching one of his best players.

“I watch the DVDs, I watch him in training – I’m doing everything I can to think of a way to protect him,” he told the Sunday Sun.

“He’s on the verge of a three-match ban again, but I’ve missed him for five games already. Do I leave him out of the last two? That would be seven he’s missed already for ill discipline.

“That’s not right. He’s got to learn and I’ll be looking at him very, very closely next year to make sure he doesn’t get any booking that isn’t absolutely necessary.

“He needs to control his temper. Sometimes he gets a little bit carried away in the heat of the battle.”

Pardew admits it is the only flaw that he has spotted in Tiote’s armoury since taking over.

His form was so superb that Didier Drogba begged Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti to try and sign him in the summer.

Pardew added: “In the Premier League in his first year though? He’s done brilliantly.

“And I think it is something we would rather have than him be too passive or technically poor or not quick or strong enough.”

Interesting from Pards.. am not sure he gets booked because he is losing his temper, more he just wants to be involved and get the ball back for us as quick as he can.

Also we use him a lot as he is so comfortable on the ball, when getting as much possession as he is he is bound to be under constant pressure from opposing players.

I think there is to much of an issue being made over his bookings, yes we need it sorting but press articles about it is going a bit to far.

Guest BooBoo

His discipline is very poor and to miss 6 games already with the risk of another 3 is unacceptable. His card yesterday was completely unnecessary.

Guest Loven11

“I don’t think he is like Robbie Savage,” Pardew said. “His tackling is usually well-timed but he is aggressive and he just needs to tone that down a bit.

“I thought he was so controlled against Birmingham and his booking was so really unlucky but some of the others are things he has to concentrate on.

“I will look at all the bookings through the summer with him, all 14, and make him understand that four or five of those definitely shouldn’t be happening.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/05/09/alan-pardew-bemoans-cheik-tiote-s-bookings-61634-28658241/2/

14 yellow cards in 26 league starts.

Should sit out the rest of the season, give him some time to think about what he's doing.

.....becoming an absolute legend in my book ha, it's part and parcel of his game because he's so involved in everything we do, he could maybe shave a few yellows off that tally though :)

14 yellow cards in 26 league starts.

Should sit out the rest of the season, give him some time to think about what he's doing.

Maybe we could even make a naughty corner in the dressing room and make him sit in it.

Guest Chubby Jason

I wish Pardew wouldn't come out with this stuff. It reminds me of Bruce and Cattermole  :icon_puke_r:

His discipline is very poor and to miss 6 games already with the risk of another 3 is unacceptable. His card yesterday was completely unnecessary.

or he could be a shite footballer and miss 16 games through injury like a hundred other players we've had on the books? ???

Tiote getting yellow cards isn't that much of an issue when you consider how good a player he is. Perch and Smith were yellow card magnets and were also absolutely fucking crap.

Guest BooBoo

Tiote getting yellow cards isn't that much of an issue when you consider how good a player he is. Perch and Smith were yellow card magnets and were also absolutely fucking crap.

To be fair though, when you have a player missing 6 games through indiscipline, it is a very big issue. Especially when he's a player who vastly improves the side when he's in the starting XI.