Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

What is the latest on the Chelsea speculation regarding Tioté, will he be leaving you do you think?

Llambias basically confirmed he wants offers for him in the summer recently.

Would that be the interview where he said we were in a much better position now and if we made Europe to convince the likes of Tiote to stay?

/Yes. Yes it was.

What is the latest on the Chelsea speculation regarding Tioté, will he be leaving you do you think?

Llambias basically confirmed he wants offers for him in the summer recently.

Would that be the interview where he said we were in a much better position now and if we made Europe to convince the likes of Tiote to stay?

/Yes. Yes it was.

We'll be losing one or two names this summer, but that’ll be regenerated back into the squad,” Llambias said.

“For instance, Tiote has been with us a year and a half. He is out there. People know he’s a good player.

“He’s proven in the Premier League, he’s not picking up as many yellow cards, he’s learning. How are we going to stop a big club from coming in for him? It’ll be very hard.'

“How are we going to stop a big club from coming in for him? It’ll be very hard. One thing in our favour is that we now have a very good side and that might encourage the player to stay.

But if someone knocks on the door and says they want this or that money, the reality may be that we have to trade.

Cha-ching.

Guest BooBoo

I'm not advocating selling either but the centre of midfield is a troubling part of the team. Despite the lazy commentators quipping that Cabaye and Tiote have formed a great combination, for me they haven't formed any sort of understanding at all. There's a district lack of craft and forward impetus. Our goal threat from midfield is low and from the centre almost non existent. Cabaye has 3 all season I think (including two free kicks) and Tiote is the sort of the player who will do well to get 1 a season. That's pretty unacceptable really and the majority of teams who succeed have a player who will chip in with 6-10 goals a season from centre midfield. Nolan was overweight and pedestrian but we do miss his ability to pick up the scruffy goals after ambling into the box. We simply have no midfielders who make intelligent runs into the box, anticipating knock downs or sniffing for half chances.

I just think Tiote and Cabaye are two decent players who are not complimentary of each others ability. Perhaps, better coaching and tactics could correct this, but the form of both players is a concern and as mentioned above, when Guthrie (who I had a big downer on last year) has played, we look to have more drive from midfield, although admittedly Sunday was not his finest hour.

It's not just the CM that's a problem, it's the entire midfield. Whether we play 4 or 5.

I think Cabaye could be brilliant for us. Having two strikers like Ba and Cisse could be the making of him. He definitely has a fantastic pass and vision on him and a clever brain but the role he's filling is horrific. It's not shown been shown much as he's been elsewhere on the pitch, but for me he needs to sherk a lot of the defensive duties he's been given.

We'll not get rid of Cabaye anyway, he's Pardew's Ace card. Shame Pardew's been playing a game where Aces are low.

Guest BooBoo

Cabaye in glimpses has shown he's got a fantastic eye for a pass but as a pairing they almost constantly lose the midfield battle.

Nothing at all really apart from what we already knew when he signed, that the likes of Llambias would be happy to make a massive profit on him if offered.  The Chelsea rumours sound like nothing but idle hack gossip.

Cabaye and Tiote will never make a good partnership if we want to play good football and stay in the top 6. Ideally Tiote would stay and we buy a box-to-box guy to partner him.

I see it more of Tiote's problem than Cabaye.

Tiote can function as an excellent DM in this league. I'm not sure a player of Cabaye's type has ever really been a success.

I think you have a point. Cabaye is a slicker version of Guthrie really. Lovely skills but just doesn't have the athleticism to play box to box. I think you could accommodate both if you were creative with your line up and played some version of a 4-3-3. Of the two though there's only going to be one which will attract bids from the likes of Man U or Chelsea.

If Pardew plays a formation that actually suits our players, Cabaye would shine. As it is, we get glimpses but he can only do so much. Hopefully we'll replace Simpson/Willo with good players that enable us to change. We're 6th without playing anywhere near our potential.

Agreed, defensively they have a great understanding and are an very effective partnership. Going forward is another story.

Yep its fantastic partnership defensively but a 2 man partnership in this day and age where the midfield is key can only do so much add a quality player to play infront of them or alongside them in a 4-2-1-3 or 4-3-3 and you will get the best out of Cabaye and Tiote.

It's no coincidence that Cabaye's best and most consistent work has come in a midfield 3, it will also allow us to play the front 3 of HBA-Ba-Cisse and not worry too much about the defensive work and also have a player to can provide the link between Cabaye and Tiote and the front 3.

So suddenly you have a midfield that is fantastic defensively but not great when you have possession to a midfield that is great at stopping play and also able to link and start attacks.

Obviously its all hoping and dreaming atm but its a feasible scenario.

FWIW, I'm still pretty confident that the Cabaye-Tiote partnership will click at some point. It's been mentioned by some before, what needs to be done is to let Tiote do all/the majority of the defending while at the same time, tell Cabaye push up and essentially do all the attacking. In short, Yohan needs to be instructed to be further forward while Cheik needs to be told to sit deeper. It really seems to be the other way round in the games they've played together though.

With a proper, uninterrupted pre-season and a simple tweak in instructions, I'm sure Cabaye and Tiote will form a formidable partnership. Here's hoping.

I think its very harsh to detail an issue with going forward when after our good start this season most teams have decided to put 10 men behind the ball and play us on the counter. Which for them has been successful on the majority. The biggest problem we have when teams put such big numbers behind the ball is our movement isn't one of our stronger suits. Cisse and Ba both need space or nothing is going to happen. Teams just don't want to play football against us and have a contest they would just prefer to play on the counter. If anything we need to change our formation to create more movement then anything else. For example if they do stick 10 behind the ball playing 2 strikers is a waste as there is not enough space for both of them and the extra player could be used to create more space lower or wider on the pitch thus freeing up space further up. And i believe this issue is why ba has been coming so deep to get touches on the ball.

We must have a game coming up against the pork scratching crunchers.

You know you love them!

If Pardew plays a formation that actually suits our players, Cabaye would shine. As it is, we get glimpses but he can only do so much. Hopefully we'll replace Simpson/Willo with good players that enable us to change. We're 6th without playing anywhere near our potential.

This, I'm quite staggered that people are talking about moving Cabaye on.

Tiote's suffered from being told to do more than he's capable of doing. He's not being used a sitting midfielder anymore, he's being played more dynamically than that, whereas Cabaye's the more static of the 2 now. They're a relatively good partnership now but if you tell Cheik to hold position and sit and let Yohan do the roaming, box-to-box stuff they'd be far better.

Guest Deadmau5

Cabaye in glimpses has shown he's got a fantastic eye for a pass but as a pairing they almost constantly lose the midfield battle.

They never set out to win it. Their job is to protect the back four, not dominate the midfield. Its a shame that some people blame him for not being deployed higher up the pitch and going forward, when this is excactly the opposite of what he is being told to do.

From the bottom of the Leon BEst article in today's Jorn'l.

Meanwhile, The Journal understands that Cheick Tiote remains fully committed to Newcastle despite a fresh set of reports linking him with a move to Chelsea.

The Blues have been linked with a £30m double swoop for the Ivorian midfielder and keeper Tim Krul, who recently signed a four- year contract with a significant pay bump.

United will listen to offers around £15m for Tiote but a source close to the player insisted that Tiote remains “very settled” at St James’ Park and won’t push for a move.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/03/21/leon-best-hopes-to-return-for-final-european-push-61634-30587811/#ixzz1pkNtETAhq

From the bottom of the Leon BEst article in today's Jorn'l.

Meanwhile, The Journal understands that Cheick Tiote remains fully committed to Newcastle despite a fresh set of reports linking him with a move to Chelsea.

The Blues have been linked with a £30m double swoop for the Ivorian midfielder and keeper Tim Krul, who recently signed a four- year contract with a significant pay bump.

United will listen to offers around £15m for Tiote but a source close to the player insisted that Tiote remains “very settled” at St James’ Park and won’t push for a move.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/03/21/leon-best-hopes-to-return-for-final-european-push-61634-30587811/#ixzz1pkNtETAhq

what the fuck?

might as well send him onto the pitch with a for sale sign

dunno why (it seems) we're actively trying to ship him out

Guest Deadmau5

Havent we tried to move him on for a couple of windows now without biters? Makes sense to lower the price from 20 to 15 in that case I guess?

15 mill is way too cheap though...

I seen him yesterday, alot taller than he looks on the pitch, he had a full length white gown on with sandals, white framed glasses and his big mohican, he likes to stay under the radar does cheick...