Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

He could buy out his contract and then he'd be able to leave as a free transfer so he'd be able to sign for any club that wanted him. Out of contract players can be signed outside of the transfer window. He's only got 10 months left on his contract so it wouldn't cost him much (relatively speaking).

I don't think you can do that if you were under contract when the window closed, iirc he can buy himself out of his contract but still not sign for anyone until January.

He could sign for team in a country not bound by our transfer rules, China, India etc I think. Not certain but pretty sure that's still the transfer rules.

I'm not saying he will, I'm saying he could if he was desperate to leave. The club he goes to could reimburse him. Apparently NUFC had accepted a £1.6m fee for him before the deal collapsed. If he gets a big money contract elsewhere for multiple years it could be worth his while. He'll probably just run down his contract though.

I'm not sure, but I think I heard something about your new club not being allowed to re-imburse you. If they could we'd likely see it a lot more.

To Edinburgh from Istanbul....he's just returning home after the failed medical here (Istanbul) I guess. That's a Turkish plane behind him and he flew out of Edinburgh originally, what with Edinburgh being the closest airport to Newcastle that Turkish operate from.

How did he fail the medical? Does he need that bit back that they took out to fix Ben Arfa?

Well it's said he didn't fail a medical, it was financial differences that put the deal off, apparently.

Isn't that just something both parties agree to say to not ruin the players chances of signing somewhere else?

• 3 weeks later...

People keep coming out with this fucking shit but we've got much better players than him.

Much better? the alternatives are Colback, who is definitely, definitely worse, and Hayden who is looking a player granted but its early days, he would definitely be a good player for us in this division and we've also got Clark who can play as  DM, surely hes a better option than him too?

He was great on that little run at the end of the last season but unsurprisingly you were absent from this thread at that time.

Hayden seems to be promising but Rafa likes to rotate and you would honestly rather see Colback or Anita in CM?

All Tiote would do in this division is give away stupid free kicks leading to goals and fail to contribute to our overall play. Hayden's better, much better. Anita's better, too. There's a reason we literally can't give shit like Cheick Tiote away. We're the only side stupid enough to pay his wages.

Sorry, can't be arsed with you and your re-writing of history once again.

We need more Dummett's.

Ironic you'd bring up Dummett. He's a defender who can't play football. Tiote's a midfielder who can't play football - certainly not to any level I'd expect from a midfielder. Spot the difference.

I'm not even going to comment on his ability to protect the defence. We lost by 3 goals or more so many times with him in the side even Pardew and McClaren figured out his level. Hopefully you two aren't far behind, but we all probably know better. :thup:

Just think getting him fit and having him as an option should happen, better than Colback?

I'm not saying don't have Hayden and Shelvey as our first choice but whilst he's here (probably until January) the lad can surely help the tram

Tiote did not get us relegated. We looked a far better team with him in the side at the back end of last season. He's not a first XI player now we're looking to control games but he's the best option we have in CM to bring on when defending a lead. Definitely a place for him in Rafa's rotation.