Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Taylor is a tool for bringing this on himself, and the club by association, he must be as thick as pig s***.  Is he a racist?  That will depend on what people class as being a racist or racism.  I think it's at least bordering on racism because he's singled a black player out for his colour but I doubt that he's realised what he was doing.

I don't know for sure where I stand on this, should friends not be able to take the p*ss out of each other?  I think they should but why would anybody think colour is a reason to take the p*ss and has he even done that?  I wouldn't think my black mates were being racist if they tweeted a picture of a white person and said it was me but that's easy for me to say as I've never had my colour used against me as far as I'm aware.

It's a mess.

Ok, I'm confused. Is it racism? He's not said he hates them because they are black. In fact, it's quite clear he doesn't hate them because they are larking about and they've been ribbing him for his crap attempts at speaking French. So is he racist? Are they xenophobic for mocking an Englishman for his inability to speak another language. I thought racism was racial hatred? Or am I completely wrong?

Yes. But calling someone a black cunt doesn't make you a racist. It will get you sacked from your job if it's corporate and some matches banned if you're a footballer.

The image was racially offensive.

He's not being accused of being racist. He's accused of posting a racist picture, which he did.

That's debatable, or at least it should be.  Haidara didn't think it was racist and it was tweeted to him.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

You can't really make 'jokes' in the public arena with regard to peoples colour, especially if you are a footballer and all the race based issues that have been flying around lately. The FA have no choice but to react to it. "Like to see you guys smile" is rooted in a casual racist comments that were popular decades ago and that in itself is very poorly thought through. If something about a person is joke worthy that is fair game, but it can never be about skin colour.

That's bollocks, you can hurt a fat person as much by taking the p*ss out of him for being fat or a ginger kid for being ginger.  Why is one fair game while the other isn't?  I'm neither by the way so I'm not biting.

Because generations of fat people or ginger people weren't enslaved, persecuted, and had their countries invaded and overtaken by white people? Think about what you're saying. There are obvious legacy issues that we can't comprehend because we, as predominantly white folk of Anglo-Saxon descent in or region, don't have a relatively recent history of being persecuted en masse due to the colour of our skin

You can't really make 'jokes' in the public arena with regard to peoples colour, especially if you are a footballer and all the race based issues that have been flying around lately. The FA have no choice but to react to it. "Like to see you guys smile" is rooted in a casual racist comments that were popular decades ago and that in itself is very poorly thought through. If something about a person is joke worthy that is fair game, but it can never be about skin colour.

That's bollocks, you can hurt a fat person as much by taking the piss out of him for being fat or a ginger kid for being ginger.  Why is one fair game while the other isn't?  I'm neither by the way so I'm not biting.

Err the history of the world, subjugation of blacks, slavery, colonialism, discrimination, apatheid...Need I go on. Don't be silly Mick. It's not quite the same as being ginger or fat is it?..:lol: What ST did is classic latent racism...Oh it's just a joke a bit of banter.

If this was America his career would be finished.

edit as Nobby said.

Yes. But calling someone a black c*** doesn't make you a racist. It will get you sacked from your job if it's corporate and some matches banned if you're a footballer.

I've never heard anybody say that who wasn't racist.  :lol: 

I find it amazing that you can claim the bit in bold and then take offence at the image that was tweeted but I do admit ignorance as I'm not black so have never been racially abused, that I know of.

That's bollocks, you can hurt a fat person as much by taking the p*ss out of him for being fat or a ginger kid for being ginger.  Why is one fair game while the other isn't?  I'm neither by the way so I'm not biting.

One harkens back to hundreds of years of slavery, colonialism, oppression, genocide... the other doesn't.

You're a grown adult man. Why don't you know this?

We don't want to turn in to Liverpool fans trying to defend him against this. It was obvious what would happen the minute he tweeted that. If he gets an 8 game ban (using Suarez as a comparison) that will be 11 games missed through suspension this season (and even more through injury). Time to finally get rid of him.

The picture is racist, especially in a situation like being in a football team even if people say they are not offended, players may not want to cause a problem with one of the big dressign room popular characters and so could easily try and brush off any offence but feel alienated. Not saying this is happened but this is hte danger of 'banter'.

He's not being accused of being racist. He's accused of posting a racist picture, which he did.

That's debatable, or at least it should be.  Haidara didn't think it was racist and it was tweeted to him.

It doesn't matter. If he sent it to him via email and Haidara didn't find it offensive then fair enough, but Taylor the big daft cunt decided to put it on social media for the public to also view, he now allows his joke to be viewed, shared and judged by the world. The joke wasn't just for Haidara (if it was he'd have sent it privately) can't understand why that fact is lost on footballers and what seems to be some sensible members of the public.

He deserves a massive fine, a ban only effects us, it really isn't our fault he's borderline brain dead.

Because generations of fat people or ginger people weren't enslaved, persecuted, and had their countries invaded and overtaken by white people? Think about what you're saying. There are obvious legacy issues that we can't comprehend because we, as predominantly white folk of Anglo-Saxon descent in or region, don't have a relatively recent history of being persecuted en masse due to the colour of our skin

You also need to think about what you're saying, Haidara wasn't offended by what was tweeted.  I've seen people who are not black wrongly persecuted for reasons they had no control over.  You seem to think that it's worse to do something to a black person which isn't hurtful to them than it is to do to others which does hurt them.

Guest bimpy474

Can you say or do something racist accidentally not meaning it in a racist way.

Is that what Saylor did, it's whether people choose to believe he was thick enough to accept that as an excuse or reason.

You can offend people at anytime without meaning it so I don't see why not in this instance.

I think that's exactly what Saylor has done, now that means accepting he was too thick to realise the picture was wrong. Which I do but I can certainly see why people wont allow his divness to be an excuse.

Skin colour has been a defining characteristic for hundreds of years of persecution, it really is a no go area for jokes.

I understand that, it was persecution based on ignorance, are we still ignorant?  I don't think we are and I don't think we need to see everything as racism just because it's based around colour.

Yes. But calling someone a black c*** doesn't make you a racist. It will get you sacked from your job if it's corporate and some matches banned if you're a footballer.

I've never heard anybody say that who wasn't racist.  :lol: 

I find it amazing that you can claim the bit in bold and then take offence at the image that was tweeted but I do admit ignorance as I'm not black so have never been racially abused, that I know of.

My point is: Simply saying words doesn't make you a racist. It's possible for someone to say those words and NOT be a racist. It's possible for someone to be racist and never racially insult/abuse someone. The point is: those words and pictures have no place in a society that is against racism.

I'm not going to excuse what to me.. is a racist image because I don't believe Steven Taylor is racist. I don't believe John Terry is a massive racist either but he said a racist thing and was deservedly punished.

Guest bimpy474

Not to disrespect but to bring in slavery, colonialism, oppression, genocide and outright intentional racism into a debate about a thick as pig shit footballer who obviously meant no harm is a tad overkill.

While I understand it, I think we can take what Saylor did in isolation, he hasn't done it before and shown no signs of being in any way racist.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

You also need to think about what you're saying, Haidara wasn't offended by what was tweeted.  I've seen people who are not black wrongly persecuted for reasons they had no control over.  You seem to think that it's worse to do something to a black person which isn't hurtful to them than it is to do to others which does hurt them.

There's definitely different levels, mick. Calling someone fat doesn't hark back to the enslavement of fat people for 400 years, but it hurts their feelings and upsets them. Two different things, no? Racism is a far more devastating thing than being nasty to fat people

Skin colour has been a defining characteristic for hundreds of years of persecution, it really is a no go area for jokes.

I understand that, it was persecution based on ignorance, are we still ignorant?  I don't think we are and I don't think we need to see everything as racism just because it's based around colour.

Racism is not about ignorance.

In any case.. I believe Taylor's compared a few of our black lads to a darkened-up man with comic Gollywogesque lips, some type of tribal African man and some other black dude for good measure. If that's not ignorant I don't know what is.

Guest bimpy474

There's definitely different levels, mick. Calling someone fat doesn't hark back to the enslavement of fat people for 400 years, but it hurts their feelings and upsets them. Two different things, no? Racism is a far more devastating thing than being nasty to fat people

Fuck me then I'm the biggest racist in the world because Mrs Bimpy is one fat mother fucker.