Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Christ, man. He responded to jokes about not speaking French well by resorting to a joke based on blackness. He wouldn't respond to white players saying he doesn't defend well by joking about their whiteness.

This.

What he did was racist, regardless of his intentions. Accept it.

Even allowing for Taylor's reputation for being thick, I was quite shocked by those pictures.

He has no defence and he's in big trouble now. Apart from the FA punishment, the club may feel they have to let him go.

Even allowing for Taylor's reputation for being thick, I was quite shocked by those pictures.

He has no defence and he's in big trouble now. Apart from the FA punishment, the club may feel they have to let him go.

And lose money? Don't be daft.

Give over :lol: They're well aware he's a few sandwiches short of a picnic

Christ, man. He responded to jokes about not speaking French well by resorting to a joke based on blackness. He wouldn't respond to white players saying he doesn't defend well by joking about their whiteness.

Irrelevant. Of course there would be no statement that could be construed as racist when it was banter between members of the same race.. Now for example, if Mbiwa made a joke about Williamson's lack of pace or athletecism, would anybody give it a second thought?

Offensiveness is a subjective thing and therefore it is ridiculous to try and quantify how offensive something can legitimately be. I didn't find it offensive (I thought the picture with the blacked out face was borderline IMO) but others might and I can certainly understand why. Would I wag my finger and tell them they're daft to be offended? Not in this instance.

The worst thing about this entire incident is that it has allowed insufferable c***s to bang on about "PC gone mad", because pointing out that publicly chastising people for the colour of their skin is a bit f***ing dim is the height of political correctness. For that alone I hope he gets a big bloody fine and/or a ban.

What? :lol:

You know what I mean. I'm battling with a f***ing vicious cold here, I'm not at my most eloquent.

I don't. Seriously, how can what Taylor did (as dumb as it is) be construed in any way, shape or form as "chastising people for the colour of their skin"?

He was taking the piss. Chastising was the wrong word.

Give over :lol: They're well aware he's a few sandwiches short of a picnic

That's true, but the club is going to come under pressure to act in the days ahead. The club and its supporters can put it into the context of Taylor's well-known bone-headedness. Those on the outside won't be so charitable. And those pictures look really bad.

Getting the boot is the worst case scenario, but you don't know how things might develop if the national media start to take a strong interest in this.

I must have missed something here, but I will gladly be educated. What is so incredibly bad about those pictures, beyond bad taste and a horrendous sense of humour?

That's your take on it, and perhaps the take of a lot of people. However, is that the way the FA will see it - just a tasteless joke? And then the club will need to be seen to act.

It's not a punishment I'm advocating, and it may not go that far. But we've seen two well established TV presenters lose their jobs for making a joke about a female assistant not knowing the offside rule. These situations have a momentum which aren't always easy to control. That's my point.

I must have missed something here, but I will gladly be educated. What is so incredibly bad about those pictures, beyond bad taste and a horrendous sense of humour?

That's your take on it, and perhaps the take of a lot of people. However, is that the way the FA will see it - just a tasteless joke? And then the club will need to be seen to act.

It's not a punishment I'm advocating, and it may not go that far. But we've seen two well established TV presenters lose their jobs for making a joke about a female assistant not knowing the offside rule. These situations have a momentum which aren't always easy to control. That's my point.

Terry and Suarez have done far worse.

I won't deny anything the media get their ugly hands on can potentially become subject to a dynamic that may lead to excessive punishment, but quite frankly the FA would need to be ashamed of itself that it lets career threatening tackles on the pitch like the one on Haidara slide and then would decide to make a point about a non football related, off-the-pitch, not highly offensive, ill-judged joke by a football player.

I don't know about that. Try and imagine what would have happened if Terry or Suarez had posted those pictures.

Unlike those two, Steven Taylor is not a major figure in the game, and so far there's not been much attention from the national media. That might change.

I don't know about that. Try and imagine what would have happened if Terry or Suarez had posted those pictures.

Unlike those two, Steven Taylor is not a major figure in the game, and so far there's not been much attention from the national media. That might change.

If you don't know about that then I don't know what to say really.

It is nothing to do with who is a 'major' figure, it is to do with those two saying things in a malicious context and Taylor saying something ignorant but very much in a matey/banter sort of way. I guarantee those who Taylor directed his tweet at did nothing but laugh and thought "what a dick!" where as Ferdinand/Evra were disgusted and chose to take it to the relevant authorities.

If you don't know about that then I don't know what to say really.

It is nothing to do with who is a 'major' figure, it is to do with those two saying things in a malicious context and Taylor saying something ignorant but very much in a matey/banter sort of way. I guarantee those who Taylor directed his tweet at did nothing but laugh and thought "what a dick!" where as Ferdinand/Evra were disgusted and chose to take it to the relevant authorities.

Well that may be right, but the FA aren't going to laugh and say, 'What a dick!' Nor are the national media, if they really get hold of it. And I wouldn't be so sure that no-body in the club has taken offence.

When I said, 'I don't know', it's really about the pointlessness of trying to compare different examples of bad behaviour.