Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

You've missed the point.

What is your point?

People generally don't respond to jokes about their perceived lack of ability or undesirable characteristics with random observations about the color of things. Rather, they respond with similar jokes about the other's perceived lack of ability or undesirable characteristics. For example, I don't respond to jokes that I'm a loud, fat, stupid American by telling the other person that their shirt is blue.

Taylor was teased by teammates about his lack of facility with the French language. He responded with a joke about them being black. Perhaps he's a slobbering imbecile and responded to a jibe about his French with a random observation that they are black. I don't think so. Whether he realized it or not--probably not--underlying his observation that his teammates are, in fact, black is the presumption that there is something undesirable about being black.

Whether you like it or not--and it's clear that you don't--based on the historical treatment of blacks by whites, it's not appropriate for whites to joke in this manner.

You've missed the point.

What is your point?

People generally don't respond to jokes about their perceived lack of ability or undesirable characteristics with random observations about the color of things. Rather, they respond with similar jokes about the other's perceived lack of ability or undesirable characteristics. For example, I don't respond to jokes that I'm a loud, fat, stupid American by telling the other person that their shirt is blue.

Taylor was teased by teammates about his lack of facility with the French language. He responded with a joke about them being black. Perhaps he's a slobbering imbecile and responded to a jibe about his French with a random observation that they are black. I don't think so. Whether he realized it or not--probably not--underlying his observation that his teammates are, in fact, black is the presumption that there is something undesirable about being black.

Whether you like it or not--and it's clear that you don't--based on the historical treatment of blacks by whites, it's not appropriate for whites to joke in this manner.

Alternatively and entirely conceivably based on the fact they work together and speak to each other every day, probably enjoying banter as grown men do, there is a lot more to that Taylor response than meets the eye, i.e. it may not just be the mindless, non sensical, non provoked race reference it appears to be at first glance.

I also object to the notion that racism is something white people do with regards to black people, as was also inferred in your earlier post, and which was what I pointed out when you claimed I missed your point. There is plenty of racism between other races, also towards the caucasian race.

And finally I have a problem with the political correctness of it all, yes. To me, there is no subject so touchy that it couldn't be joked about in principle, as long as it doesn't cross certain borders like inciting violence. A lot of what we're seeing here is people being offended on behalf of others, who probably just laugh this non-incident off as any sane person would.

Release a statement that he's sorry to have offended people and offer his week's wages to a charity for racism awareness or something, and be done with it. Personally I'm more disturbed by the fact that any hint at "racism" (by which I mean distinguishing between races of human beings, not hatred based on skin colour) still elicites this type of reaction from the general public than by his actual tweet. Whilst incredibly stupid (because of going against PC standards using a public medium) and criminally unfunny, I don't think there was any intent to offend. Much ado about nothing.

I don't get these constant criticisms of those taking offense tbh.

Are they supposed to apply some kind of social triage to these situations and only yell about the big ones that you tell them they can care about and ignore everything else? Does reading that sentence help highlight the ludicrous nature of your criticism?

That some ills are worse than others doesn't mean anyone has to keep quiet about the small ones and only shout about the large ones. Indeed it's the accumulation of these small social ills that can give rise to larger ones and they are every bit as much worth calling out when they happen.

Good point. That's the first sensible thing you've said all day.

Release a statement that he's sorry to have offended people and offer his week's wages to a charity for racism awareness or something, and be done with it. Personally I'm more disturbed by the fact that any hint at "racism" (by which I mean distinguishing between races of human beings, not hatred based on skin colour) still elicites this type of reaction from the general public than by his actual tweet. Whilst incredibly stupid (because of going against PC standards using a public medium) and criminally unfunny, I don't think there was any intent to offend. Much ado about nothing.

Are they supposed to apply some kind of social triage to these situations and only yell about the big ones that you tell them they can care about and ignore everything else? Does reading that sentence help highlight the ludicrous nature of your criticism?

That some ills are worse than others doesn't mean anyone has to keep quiet about the small ones and only shout about the large ones. Indeed it's the accumulation of these small social ills that can give rise to larger ones and they are every bit as much worth calling out when they happen.

Good point. That's the first sensible thing you've said all day.

You said this to me recently, what's going on!? :lol:

The problem about "zero tolerance" policies towards racism, is that it also makes it impossible to objectively discuss racism and if anything, adds that bit of temptation to simply be racist for the sake of being racist. The problem isn't about keeping quiet about the "small ills", the problem is that we're calling it an ill at all when there was no malicious intent whatsoever.

The problem about "zero tolerance" policies towards racism, is that it also makes it impossible to objectively discuss racism and if anything, adds that bit of temptation to simply be racist for the sake of being racist. The problem isn't about keeping quiet about the "small ills", the problem is that we're calling it an ill at all when there was no malicious intent whatsoever.

:thup:

You've missed the point.

What is your point?

Alternatively and entirely conceivably based on the fact they work together and speak to each other every day, probably enjoying banter as grown men do, there is a lot more to that Taylor response than meets the eye, i.e. it may not just be the mindless, non sensical, non provoked race reference it appears to be at first glance.

I also object to the notion that racism is something white people do with regards to black people, as was also inferred in your earlier post, and which was what I pointed out when you claimed I missed your point. There is plenty of racism between other races, also towards the caucasian race.

And finally I have a problem with the political correctness of it all, yes. To me, there is no subject so touchy that it couldn't be joked about in principle, as long as it doesn't cross certain borders like inciting violence. A lot of what we're seeing here is people being offended on behalf of others, who probably just laugh this non-incident off as any sane person would.

Edit: That was a stupid response I just wrote. :lol: We're just coming from fundamentally different places on this that really aren't reconcilable here.

No it doesn't. That's an inane, baseless talking point thrown out to derail conversation.

I'm at a loss for words as to why people like you and unbelievable want to redefine the discussion of racism to "anything short of literal genocide isn't racism, and if you discuss it you're actually harming the anti-racist movement." You want to talk about making discussion impossible? Look in the mirror.

Whilst Taylors comments / tweets were obviously stupid they were hardly intended to be racist or offensive. If he had have put four Frenchman wearing beret's and carrying onions round their necks, smiling, I doubt this uproar would occur. In the same way that he could have put Kevin Nolan, Ryan Taylor and Joey Barton in a tweet stereotyped as thieves from Liverpool.

People creating a story for no reason purely to sell papers, and the people taking offense (to this particular tweet) are actually as thick (if not thicker) than Steven Taylor.

No it doesn't. That's an inane, baseless talking point thrown out to derail conversation.

I'm at a loss for words as to why people like you and unbelievable want to redefine the discussion of racism to "anything short of literal genocide isn't racism, and if you discuss it you're actually harming the anti-racist movement." You want to talk about making discussion impossible? Look in the mirror.

How in the world did you read anything I wrote that way? I'm saying that painting people who are clearly non-malicious with the same brush as those who are, is completely and utterly ludicrous.

Thick as mince that lad. Why post "banter" like that? Someone said it a few pages back just a bit of banter between team mates but as a standalone post on social media it is bad taste at best, can see how some may take offence to it.

How in the world did you read anything I wrote that way? I'm saying that painting people who are clearly non-malicious with the same brush as those who are, is completely and utterly ludicrous.

Absolutely no one is doing that. Absolutely everyone is saying that Taylor is thick, not racist.