Accrington Stanley 2 - 3 Newcastle Utd - 25/08/10 - post match reaction from p20

Dave

Most impressed by the attitude shown tonight, especially by those who you might anticipate not putting a shift in in such testing circumstances (facing combative opposition often out of position). Not everything shown was ideal, but it generally bodes well for the futures of both individuals and the overall production line alike.

Shola was shocking

Vuckic was anonymous, game seems to have passed him by - still has plenty of time on his side - would be good if we can get a home time against some lower league side, reckon Vuckic could show his class then

Ferguson is clearly not a left back - has some pace and decent enough on the ball

Lua Lua was lively, think it would be good to send him on a short loan to a championship side - get a run of games

Krul was quality - made some mistakes BUT thats to be expected with his inexperience - cant be too long before he takes over Harper

Just watched the game, haven't read any other posts so forgive me if I repeat some things:

A good win I think, when you take into account all the square pegs pushed into round holes

Positives:

Krul - After a first half of indecisiveness, came back strong in the 2nd with 3 great saves.

Tav - Thought he was excellent in the first, look the pick of the defence, and solid throughout, would like to see him at RB.

Kadar - Cool and calm throught, solid best way to describe him.

Lua Lua - Would have prefered to see him on the right but really took the game to Accrington, in the 2nd half, deserved a goal and was very very close.

Ranger - Ran Lua Lua close for MoM for me, looks very sharp and worked his arse off, was badly at fault for Accrington's first goal but made up for that with a strong performance. But ffs play  him through the middle.

Ferguson - For a young lad making his debut, thought he did really well, didn't do anything flashy but got the basics right

Negatives:

Vuckic - I was expecting a lot more from him, final ball was poor all night, but did work hard, seems a little ways a way from 1st team consideration.

Shola - Scored but a lifeless performance, untidy in possession gave the ball away a lot and displayed a complete lack of effort which suggested he didn't want to be out there.

Donaldson - Anonymous in the middle, didn't look comfortable out there at all.

It's obvious from this that we need to hang on to Lua Lua, as we are desperately short of cover for our wide positions and Lua Lua may just be able to do a job for us. Tav should be nurtired along with more First time opportunities, love the maturity of the lad. Kadar as he showed last season, can be relied on if call upon. Ranger needs a chance, either through loan, or some sub opportunities. Shola needs a kick up the backside and Vuckic should not be hurried, you can tell the potential is there but on this performance, it's not ready to surface yet.

Krul 7- Made 3 very good saves, onequestionable decision to come out in the first half but other than that he showed more examples of his good shot stopping.

Taylor 8 - Fantastic goal, and just used this more as match fitness than a real test for him.

Tavernier 7- Played well and complimented Kadar very well, a loan in League 2 might be nice.

Kadar 8 - Very steady and was impressed with his ability at one on one's. Showed why he's first team.

Ferguson  7- Looks very steady, bit small but can always bulk up as he gets older.

LuaLua 8*- MOM, started slow, but as time went on and space opened up he showed what he can do, good solid runner and will probably make the bench Saturday.

Donaldson 6- Just very average, I thought he was a striker? It made little difference really, in the second half when he should have been getting it down he seemed content to just kick long.

Vuckic 6- Bit like Donaldson but he's only 17 so there's still years to develop. We know he has talent, so it's just a shame he couldn't show it tonight.

Ranger 7- Good performance but his attitude stinks.

Ameobi 7- Good finish, and showed some nice close control did little else.

Lovenkrands - 7 Nice finish and header for Shola.

Positives;

-LuaLua, was impressive and should be in and around the first team.

-Donaldson & Ranger showed potential clubs what they can do with a view to a loan.

-Tavernier and Ferguson look like they have potential

-Good team performance all round, and a good evaluation of the fringes of the squad.

Negatives;

-Ranger looked petulant and seems no closer to fixing his attitude.

-Vuckic didn't really get into the game and show us what he can do.

-2nd half passed Donaldson by completely and while he's steady he doesn't look good enough for central midfield.

-Conceded 2 goals.

WTF are you on ? Ranger was spot on from an attitude pov, he was willing to put a shift in in an unfamiliar role and was a constant goal threat. If he had a go at some clogger, so f***ing what. You're f***ing mad tbh.

Was out last night so recorded this on V+, just watched it. Decent enough game, was pretty filthy at times and you can see our young lads have a lot to learn about getting sucked in to "their level" in this sort of game. Shola is abysmal but got his goal so he'll be delighted, it's all about the stats for him. The blue kit did nothing for Nolan's figure and Ryan Taylor's goal was a great hit. As for the bairns, pleased for Kazenga, he's never really impressed in the first team but really did in this game, a few good crosses on his left as well was encouraging to see. Ranger was also very good coming in off the right flank, shame he miss-kicked for their 1st goal, probably deserved a goal himself. Defence was alright, ironically Ryan Taylor looked the worst of the 4 defensively. Krul came for everything as usual but made some good saves. Vuckic didn't live up to the hype, dissapointed but I imagine it's a "Number 10's" nightmare having to play in central midfield in a game like this.

All in all, glad we're through. Home to somebody like MK Dons would be great, anybody where this sort of team can compete and maybe get a result will do just fine.

Have to say i don't really like our attitude to this competition if it's to stay as it was last night. Fair play to the young lads for coming through but i'd have been pretty annoyed if we'd gone out. I'm aware survival is priority but that doesn't mean we should forfeit competitions that we could have a crack at winning.

Well done the youngsters ,could have been a banana skin but we never looked like losing it bosses it from start to finish,square pegs round holes position wise but lualua ,ranger and krul stood out for me ,amoebi less said the better but how many times has  that been said .

Chance of winning. :lol:

Man United

Man United

Tottenham

Chelsea

Man United

Chelsea

Boro

Liverpool

Blackburn

Liverpool

Leicester City

Tottenham

Chelsea

Leicester

Villa

Liverpool

Villa

Arsenal

Man United

Sheff Wed

Nottm Forest

Pleased for Kazenga, if he can step up a little bit more he'll have a chance of the team.

Bit of a non-event really, the scoreline flattered Accrington quite a bit. First meeting of the clubs, hopefully will be the last for a while.

Some of our selections were weird, didn't we have about 6 forwards on the pitch? Ranger is probably the least equipped to play wide of any player I've seen in recent times.

Mad respect for anyone who travelled, was proud to see our fans performing well as always.

Chance of winning. :lol:

Man United

Man United

Tottenham

Chelsea

Man United

Chelsea

Boro

Liverpool

Blackburn

Liverpool

Leicester City

Tottenham

Chelsea

Leicester

Villa

Liverpool

Villa

Arsenal

Man United

Sheff Wed

Nottm Forest

You could put down  a list of all EURO winners of the last years, and yet you'll find fuckig awfull Greece in there.

missed the game how did the toon play? was vuckic on?

I would say that the individual performances were better than the team performance.

The team was very lop-sided ,for example Ranger on the right wing, and Donaldson a forward, in centre midfield. Made a team performance much harder I think.

Bit of a non-event really, the scoreline flattered Accrington quite a bit. First meeting of the clubs, hopefully will be the last for a while.

No it didn't. Krul pulled off two or three excellent saves whereas there keeper had little to do aside from the goals and a couple of routine saves.

No it didn't. Krul pulled off two or three excellent saves whereas there keeper had little to do aside from the goals and a couple of routine saves.

Well, true, but they also scored two freak goals and we dominated possession hugely. If we had been a bit more clinical going forward we could easily have ended up with 5 or 6.

Maybe I phrased it wrong, I meant it could have easily turned out much worse for them.

Pleased for Kazenga, if he can step up a little bit more he'll have a chance of the team.

Some of our selections were weird, didn't we have about 6 forwards on the pitch? Ranger is probably the least equipped to play wide of any player I've seen in recent times.

Mad respect for anyone who travelled, was proud to see our fans performing well as always.

I thought our fans were really poor - I have never known them to be so quiet.  Thought the Accy fans were brilliant though and it was refreshing to hear a different repertoire for a change.

I thought our fans were really poor - I have never known them to be so quiet.  Thought the Accy fans were brilliant though and it was refreshing to hear a different repertoire for a change.

I thought just going there for a shite game like this was a pretty big achievement.

To be fair there was very little to get them excited.

Very South American repetoire of songs.

Wullie, I think that this year we should concentrate on the league only. The reasons being that we have a squad that with one or two injuries we would be much weakened, I also think that we have absolutely no chance of winning it so why waste time and resources on something that is way out of our grasp. Heart agrees with you but head doesn't...

I thought Ranger had a great game last night, Lua Lua only played well in the second half thought he was invisible in first. Shola was lamentable (as per...). Kadar was the pick of the defence for me.

One thing that I picked up on was the passing from defence to midfield; the only ones capable of bringing the ball out under pressure were Raylor, Ranger and Loven, the youngsters still don't have that composure to slot passes through minute spaces whilst under pressure...

Good result and keep the youngsters getting experience through this cup, we may need them at some point...