Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

Would like to see us re-sign Andreas Andersson if possible too.

Christ. Just discovered that fucker's still playing. :lol:

Edit: Sparse appearances for an amateur Swedish side upon closer inspection. Not as surprising as I first thought.

I'm not surprised. He may miscontrol the ball more than most, but in certain situations, he can cause problems for even the best defenders.

Successive managers have rated him more highly than the supporters, and I think that's the reason why. You can find plenty of strikers whose weaknesses aren't so glaring, but who don't actually have anything in their armoury that the better defences can't handle comfortably.

It's just a different way of assessing a player.

This is the biggest load of crap any of you will read today.

I thought it was pretty near the mark. The Shola hatred is over the top from some quarters. He's not good enough to start but he has scored important goals for us in the past. As a back up option he is ok imo.

It's pretty much spot on. Similar levels of striker include people like James Beattie and Cameron Jerome, who don't have obvious weaknesses and look more capable, but never give defences the problems that Shola does.

The paradox with Shola is that although he's not great at bringing the ball under control, when he does get the ball between his feet, he's useful. With his strength, his quick feet and those long legs which can nick the ball away from defenders at the last second, he can create chances for himself and others.

People just get angry with him for the clumsy moments.

I'm not surprised. He may miscontrol the ball more than most, but in certain situations, he can cause problems for even the best defenders.

Successive managers have rated him more highly than the supporters, and I think that's the reason why. You can find plenty of strikers whose weaknesses aren't so glaring, but who don't actually have anything in their armoury that the better defences can't handle comfortably.

I thought it was pretty near the mark. The Shola hatred is over the top from some quarters. He's not good enough to start but he has scored important goals for us in the past. As a back up option he is ok imo.

It's pretty much spot on. Similar levels of striker include people like James Beattie and Cameron Jerome, who don't have obvious weaknesses and look more capable, but never give defences the problems that Shola does.

The paradox with Shola is that although he's not great at bringing the ball under control, when he does get the ball between his feet, he's useful. With his strength, his quick feet and those long legs which can nick the ball away from defenders at the last second, he can create chances for himself and others.

Nope, people are angry with his tiny tiny tiny football brain, unbelievable ability to break a move down and his amazing ability to go into slow motion mode, any slower and he would invent time travel

Guest hobshobs

I reckon he is Pardews second choice centre forwar, after Ba.

Convinced he will start Saturday.  Ba and Ameobi have played a bit together pre season.  

Barton - Cabaye - Tiote - Jonas

Ameobi - Ba

Then Gosling, Marv, Obertan off the bench.  Either Best or Vuckic will miss out on the match squad.

I reckon.

Well if it is Ameobi and Ba to start on Saturday then Pardew is correct in saying we will be playing a different style from last season. It'll be the Allardyce style, high ball, long ball, high ball, long ball. Won't work all afternoon and then seeing the way this is all panning out we'll have Harper back in goal to make his usual balls up and that's the first 3 points of the season down the crapper.

SHOLA AMEOBI TO BE LONGEST-SERVING IN NEWCASTLE HISTORY

ABOVE: SHola Ameobi - Newcastle veteran 11th August 2011 By Ian Murtagh

SHOLA AMEOBI is in line to become one of the longest-serving players in Newcastle history after signing a two-year contract extension.

It will take the striker, 29, to the end of the 2013-14 season – 14 years after Sir Bobby Robson handed him his debut against Chelsea.

Current boss Alan Pardew is a big admirer of Ameobi whose brother Sammy, 19, is on the fringe of the Newcastle senior squad.

Pardew said: “Shola has done a terrific job for me since I’ve been here and he’s a great character to have around the place.

“It’s important to have continuity and Shola helps us achieve that aim.”

Anyone know where 14 years would put him on the all time list of longest serving players? 19 years is the record. I reckon 14 years  could well put him in the top 10

“Shola has done a terrific job for me since I’ve been here and he’s a great character to have around the place.

“It’s important to have continuity and Shola helps us achieve that aim.”

Should not underestimate this as well as the Sammy connection. Shola is probably a really good guy to have around for a manager that came in under difficult circumstances. He's seen it all in his time here and doesn't seem like one to complain or lead a revolt. He's genuinely happy to be here and just gets on with it. It's probably a pretty nice alternative from Joey "Che" Barton.

I expect to see an announcement on Sammy getting a new five year deal before too long.

Oh shut the fuck up, man. The 'clumsy moments' happen everytime the ball goes near him in 5 out of 6 games he plays.

Oh shut the f*** up, man. The 'clumsy moments' happen everytime the ball goes near him in 5 out of 6 games he plays.

Yep.  :snod:

It's not a great paradox.  :nope: Not good at bringing the ball under control, but useful with the ball between his feet? Pretty much the same thing, but you're right, he's not good at bringing the ball under control, nor is he under any circumstances useful near a ball. Yes, he has strength, and long clumsy legs, but quick feet? Nah. All this is just some sick kind of justifying the contract extension, and the player in general. The arguments pro Ameobi are so very, very thin and falls on they're own absurdity. It really isn't funny anymore. Also, I'll cry infinite rivers, if that's what this is. Get real ffs.

At the end of the day you cannot blame Shola for any of this -it's the people above him. He tries and he puts his body on the line, he'll play anywhere as long as it's in Black and White and he won't be on massive money. How many of us say we just want to see a team put the effort in we don't care if they're frustratingly average of shit? Shola is frustratingly average but he's dedicated and that in itself is something to for us to be glad about. People hate Shola without good reason too abd many do it to jump on the bandwagon. I know I'll be chanting his name on Saturday, even if it is at a wedding receptuon.

Oh shut the fuck up, man. The 'clumsy moments' happen everytime the ball goes near him in 5 out of 6 games he plays.

let's not forget that he still doesnt know the off side rule or how to challenge a defender in the air without fouling them