Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

http://www.mtnfootball.com/africa/african-tournaments/african-cup-of-nations/news/2012/december/24-nigeria-dismiss-newcastle-claim-ameobi-not-for-afcon.html

Nigeria dismiss Newcastle claim Ameobi not for AFCON

By MTNFootball.com Monday Dec 24, 19:04 +0200

Nigeria have debunked a claim by Newcastle that Shola Ameobi will skip next month’s AFCON and that coach Stephen Keshi is aware of this.

"We are not aware of such a thing about Shola (Ameobi), he is a FIFA-listed player for us. The federation is not aware, the head coach is not aware of this and that was why Shola was called up for the competition,” spokesman for the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Ademola Olajire, told MTNFootball.com

“We will do all within us to see that Shola or any player picked by the coach for the Nations Cup is released to us."

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew said Shola Ameobi will not be going to the Nations Cup with Nigeria, according to BBC sports.

The Kogi State indigene is on the 32-man provisional squad released by Eagles coach Stephen Keshi last week.

Pardew said: "Shola won't be going. The national team manager knows the reasons, which I am keeping to myself."

Ameobi made an encouraging debut in a 3-1 friendly win over Venezuela last month, setting up the third goal in Miami.

You'd think that after the farce with Cisse and the Senegal FA, Pardew and/or the club would ensure things are all agreed and set in stone before making any comments to the media. I got slaughtered for mistakenly suggesting we were a shambles then, I can't see how it can be argued this time.

By the way it doesn't sound like Shola can simply decide he doesn't want to play, or that he's 'retiring'. Apart from the fact he's been quoted as saying he does want to take part (and has written to FIFA to confirm he's Nigerian) which would surely damage his argument terminally, apparently the rules are that you have to have to have announced it long before now. Ie not making yourself available for selection in the first place. If they want to be arsey about all this, it seems they're well within their rights to do so.

Wonder who'd fuck up this, Pardew sitting there telling the media its all sorted they understand and Shola won't be going.. Surely he was told by the hierarchy at the club it was all sorted.

Would be bad enough if this was a one off but after the Cisse farce and the way the season is going the press will love this.