Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

Guest hobshobs

Always find it quite amazing how almost everyone in the professional game, including a long line of diverse managers and coaches at Newcastle rate Shola highly and value his contribution, yet 50% of punters think he's so hopeless.

Most managers talk up players nowadays. Years ago they didn't have to be motivated. Being rated highly and valueing a contribution publically can also be construed as trying to up the price of someone you want rid off.

Of a long line of managers we have had KK would be one of those I would trust most in his assessment of what a player can offer. KK was ready to offload Ameobi almost as soon as he returned as manager.

Know what you're saying though. If Pardew is seriously praising Shola's contribution them my matchday experience is going to be frustrating for a while yet.

Birmingham want him for a reason.  Cos Shola is better than many of the strikers in the Premiership.  Worse than many too.  But a useful squad player.

Where are the good strikers these days? 

Shearer, Cole, Fowler, Sheringham, Cantona, Le Tissier, Dublin, Yorke, Sir Les, Beardsley, Wright, Big Dunc, Collymore were all around at one time.  Every team had a decent striker.

Berbatov, Rooney, Hernandez, Van Persie, Tevez, Dzeko, Drogba, Anelka, Defoe, van der Vaart, Torres, Carroll, Bent.

Perhaps doesn't quite stand up to the mid-90s, but there's plenty of striking quality in the PL at this moment.

Guest lebowski

While not necessarily saying we should sell him, after having seen all the games he has played since Carroll's injury (and endless replays here in the UAE) his finishing is worse than I ever remember. He has missed some absolute sitters, while Best's hat-trick (quality of opposition aside) were all superbly taken. I don't know what you do with Shola, I think Souness may have had the answer and play him a bit deeper and have someone else to knock the ball in the back of the net.

Some of the more depressing knock on effect of today's news is that this guy moves closer to first choice and closer to staying yet again.

Right place, right time. Story of his career.

Some of the more depressing knock on effect of today's news is that this guy moves closer to first choice and closer to staying yet again.

Right place, right time. Story of his career.

Right place?

It's more like 'same place'.

To think we could have sold our number one striker last week to Birmingham :lol:

If Brum came in, in the next 4 hours, with a 5 million bid or something ridiculous like that would you take it ?