Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

Looked like a star in the making before the hip injury f***ed him.

I think that's what James was referring too.

Played injured to help the team and f***ed his hip up permanently because of it.

To be honest, anyone with a bit of sense would have got this.

I'm still a bit gutted we never signed Tomi for the Ameobi trifecta.

I'm pretty sure we did and he played for the reserves. OR, years ago I thought it would be amusing to have all 3 Ameobi's play in the same team so bought him for Football Manager. Although I am pretty sure Tomi was on our books in real life.

Guest firetotheworks

Boo-boys have always loved the local lad to spew their bile on. Nice one!

I don't know why people say this when it wasn't long ago that we loved Andy Carroll. I think theres extra venom for rubbish local players because they're seen to get more leeway with managers and other fans because they're local. It just so happens that most of the local lads we've produced recently have been crap. If we'd produced more players on Andy Carroll's, Michael Carrick's or Shearer's level in recent years, they'd be be loved even more for being local imo.

Carroll took a bit of crap, during his early years. I think most supporters love to see local lads doing well, but you will always get a few who will jump on their backs as soon as a mistake is made. Shola (like Shearer) probably lived his childhood dream - playing for the club he supported as a boy, including scoring goals in the Champions League. Perhaps he stayed at the club too long, but he  did what many of us would give our right arm for.

I really don't get the love-in for Ameobi from some, he was briefly good when he first came into the team, and then under Glenn Roeder. Otherwise he's been absolutely useless, and I'm convinced he has been picked and kept on historically just because he's local - not his fault mind. Sentiments aside there is no way this fraud of a footballer should have been employed by Newcastle United for 14 years ffs.

Cant do any worse than Misstrovic!

He can and did, for every season of his career.

Mitrovic got 9 Premier League goals.  Here are Shola's numbers for each Premier League season he played:

2, 0, 5, 7, 2, 9, 3, 0, 4, 6, 2, 1, 2, 0.

Mitrovic got 9 Premier League goals.  Here are Shola's numbers for each Premier League season he played:

Mitrovic doesn't have Shola's sunny disposition and air of all round likeability though.

Bet he can't even eat fruit while riding a bike.

Mitrovic doesn't have Shola's sunny disposition and air of all round likeability though.

More likely to go on some sort of rampage, cycling along hoying apples off people's heads.

Likely he'd try to eat the bike

Guest neesy111

Shola never started most of a season like Mitrovic did this season.

The Mitro mate is just getting ridiculous man, I know he didn't have the best of seasons last year, but saying he's worse then Shola is just laughable. :lol:

Didn't he only start 20 odd games? Mitro that is.

Edit: 22 starts, 6 goals, 2 assists according to a website (that's 6 goals within the 22 starts of course)

Mitrovic scored a goal every 234th minute this season.

Shola bettered that in the 03/04 season with a goal every 222nd minute, but that's also the only time he did it in over ten years here.

Sholas goals to minutes ratio over his whole PL career here is one goal every 343rd minute. All according to Soccerway.com.

As much as I like Shola, he was playing in a title-chasing team under SBR and a regular under Souness and Roeder yet he still couldn't hit double figures.

Mitro has played up front on his own, in a dogshit team and not even started that many games himself yet he's equalled Shola's best ever PL tally in his first season despite his age coming from a new league. The Shola comparison is laughable, apart from the fact they're both cart-horses.

Carroll is the only good local player since the Clark, Howey and Watson days. Taylor had a period where he was a passable first-team option, as Dummett is today. They don't get stick because they're local but because they've simply not been good enough. Why should they be treated differently to an Amdy Faye or Gouffran, who similarly tried their best on the whole, but also weren't good enough?