Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-newcastle-united-goal-hero-11422843

Former Newcastle United goal hero offered chance of Tyneside return with Gateshead FC

12:02, 3 JUN 2016

BY JEFF BOWRON

He played the majority of his career in the black and white stripes of Newcastle, but now Shola Ameobi could extend his playing career at Gateshead

Vanarama National League club Gateshead have made an ambitious attempt to bring Shola Ameobi back to Tyneside.

The 34-year-old former Newcastle United striker was one of 14 players released by League One outfit Fleetwood this week after starting the season at Bolton Wanderers.

Ameobi made almost 400 appearances in 14 seasons at St James’ Park, scoring 79 goals, and has since played for Crystal Palace and in Turkey.

The Nigerian striker played 20 games in total in 2015-16 for Bolton and Fleetwood and will have options if he decides to play on.

A coaching role at a club is another possibility, Ameobi having already taken his UEFA A badge earlier this year.

Gateshead already have three forwards with another, Rochdale trainee Nyal Bell set to sign this week on a two-year deal.

Gateshead manager Neil Aspin is on holiday, but has sanctioned the move for Ameobi, chairman Richard Bennett confirming the club’s interest.

“Ameobi is certainly a player who we would like to bring to Gateshead,” said Bennett. “He has had a great career and still has plenty to offer.

“We have put a call in to his agent and, hopefully, we will get the chance to speak to him, though there is bound to be interest from elsewhere.

“It shows the ambition of the club that we’re in for a player of Ameobi’s calibre and we’re determined to mount a promotion challenge.”

Gateshead, who have signed seven players so far this summer, eight with Bell, are also on the trail of Torquay United winger Toby Ajala.

The 24-year-old has turned down a new contract offer at Plainmoor and is believed to be receptive to a move to the other end of the country.

Ajala, who had a brief spell at Bristol City, played the first half of last season at another National League side, Dover Athletic, before returning to Torquay.

Heed playmaker Josh Gillies, meanwhile, has been linked with a move across the border and top scorer Ryan Bowman is rumoured to be unsettled.

Gillies is on holiday but has been offered an improved deal, while Bowman has been asked to put in a transfer request if he wants to leave.

“He has yet to do that and is contracted for another year,” added Bennett. “He scored 20 goals last season and we are more than happy to retain his services.

“We’ve reached something of an impasse and the ball is in his court, but he is our player and we’ve already turned down a five-figure bid from Tranmere Rovers.”

Mitrovic has scored more career goals than Shola, despite making his professional debut 11 years later.  I know most of them were in Serbia/Belgium, but Shola's played in shit leagues too.  And Shola's had 11 years longer!  :lol:

Edit: forgot the cups.  Shola's actually 7 ahead of Mitrovic.  Which is still absolutely awful.  Fuck off Shola.

I really don't get the love-in for Ameobi from some, he was briefly good when he first came into the team, and then under Glenn Roeder. Otherwise he's been absolutely useless, and I'm convinced he has been picked and kept on historically just because he's local - not his fault mind. Sentiments aside there is no way this fraud of a footballer should have been employed by Newcastle United for 14 years ffs.

This in spades.

Shola was an absolute fraud of a footballer and if you think differently then you're blind to the obvious.

This place is absolutely obsessed with the word FRAUD like. :lol:

:lol: Truth. He wasn't a fraud at all. He was just never good enough, but he gave us some great moments. It wasn't the most significant match but his goal against Spurs in the year we finished 5th is one of my favourite moments at SJP. It was a shame he wasn't fit for much of the Championship season, too, cos he took the piss down there. 11 in 12 I think it was.

Shola was an absolute fraud of a footballer and if you think differently then you're blind to the obvious.

This place is absolutely obsessed with the word FRAUD like. :lol:

:lol: Truth. He wasn't a fraud at all. He was just never good enough, but he gave us some great moments. It wasn't the most significant match but his goal against Spurs in the year we finished 5th is one of my favourite moments at SJP. It was a shame he wasn't fit for much of the Championship season, too, cos he took the piss down there. 11 in 12 I think it was.

10 in 18 for us.  11 in 32 if you include Stoke and Bolton.

He gets a lot of hate but I've just watched the compilation of all his NUFC goals and it made me smile. There are some great goals in there.

That goal against Spurs :megusta:

Guest chicken little

He gets a lot of hate but I've just watched the compilation of all his NUFC goals and it made me smile. There are some great goals in there.

not only that, it doesn't take up a great deal of your day, leaving you free to get on with other things.

• 7 months later...

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-newcastle-united-striker-shola-12556919

Nolan is delighted to bring in a striker of Ameobi’s experience.

He added: “Shola is a great lad and he has kept himself in great shape by training with Newcastle’s Under 23 side for the last six months.

“I’m delighted we have been able to get the deal done.”

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...