Transfer Window slams shut; makes huge f*ck off slamming sound

Guest BooBoo

Guest BooBoo

Been out and about most of the day without a phone signal. Just seen that I've missed absolutely nothing at all. I'm sure these deadline days get less exciting every time.

Been out and about most of the day without a phone signal. Just seen that I've missed absolutely nothing at all. I'm sure these deadline days get less exciting every time.

Aye, because it doesn't end midnight anymore.

ben arfa is much better than all those players i mentioned and i couldn't be happier with our business - its been exceptional. but ideally, those transfers still wouldn't have happened. as for brum and stoke..... i think anybody not in the top 8 could be perceived as relegation candidates. they're better than wigan and wham, but you just never know.

Ben Arfa may have more raw talent, but in terms of making an immediate impact (i.e being able to settle in and not kicking up a fuss/being able to work hard), I'd rather have Cleverley. But then I'm massively biased.

I bet if Ben Arfa had played for you in the Championship you'd have orgasmed at least once every match :)

Brimingham and Stoke are not relegation rivals though tbh.

Agree on Brum (although they are a very average team, they get results), but Stoke are not mid tible certs at all. They have zero points at the moment, and there's not a lot of real quality in the squad, if teams have worked out how to handle their set pieces, they will struggle badly.

They should be doing better with the team they have tbh

Not sure why so many people believe that Stoke aren't going to be in the relegation battle to be honest. They aren't that good and have to hope Jones doesn't turn out to be a failure.

They have some half decent players to be fair and Pulis is a decent manager, knows how to get results. They could well go down, can't see it though. Wigan, Blackpool and West Brom for me

Seems to me that nobody has much money these days to spend, so it's more about loans with a view to buy if they turn out to be ok.  I was expecting some big transfers to happen after City thrown some money about, but it's not really happened and I guess clubs are using money they get to pay off debts rather than throw the money back out there.

Overall, boring transfer deadline, but perhaps that's a good thing for football.  Less panic buying or buying for sake of it.

Guest BooBoo

The deadline is very much for show anyway. I'm sure there'll be a few deals announced after 6pm, probably including Gyan.

They should keep it strict and any paperwork received after 6pm should be rejected. I dont really see the point of it otherwise.

The deadline is very much for show anyway. I'm sure there'll be a few deals announced after 6pm, probably including Gyan.

They should keep it strict and any paperwork received after 6pm should be rejected. I dont really see the point of it otherwise.

It is a bit silly.  If you have months to sign a player why leave it to the last few hours and risk losing the deal.

You'd probably think otherwise if we were just about to sign HBA or anyone else...  ;)

Not sure why so many people believe that Stoke aren't going to be in the relegation battle to be honest. They aren't that good and have to hope Jones doesn't turn out to be a failure.

Because in the two seasons they've been up they've always been reasonable comfortable on around 45+ points.  They have had a poor start so far this season and of course they could get dragged into it and could go down, but I wouldn't consider them as serious relegation candidates at the moment.

That's mainly been based around picking up points they shouldn't at home though. Sooner or later, that's going to end and they'll find themselves in trouble. I'm not saying they will go down, there are a few teams worse than them but the way people are writing them off as relegation candidates is wide of the mark in my opinion.

Agree on Brum (although they are a very average team, they get results), but Stoke are not mid tible certs at all. They have zero points at the moment, and there's not a lot of real quality in the squad, if teams have worked out how to handle their set pieces, they will struggle badly.

What team do they have ? Cause from what I see, only Shawcross and to a lesser extent Faye are any real quality there. The only flair playrs are Tuncay and Etherington, who are both distinctly average.

They've won games in the past in the PL by being physical and organised from set pieces, exploiting the long throws of Delap. They have historically created very few chances and their manager is extremely negative, that can only take you so far. Eventually their limited players will be exposed, I have a feeling this is the year. The signing of Jones was stupid, the 8 million outlay should have gone a couple of players that would add real quality and guile to their squad. Gudjohnson (if he signs) is a gamble too, personally I don't think he has the legs anymore and his motivation may be questionable.

andy carroll out, could this mean a transfer for us?

Think it would be difficult even for Hughton to do a transfer in something like 15 minutes. :lol: (Unless you have bags of money)

Even if Andy Carroll's injury was serious enough for us to get a replacement, I highly doubt they would have just realised 20 minutes ago :lol:

Looking at those signings, Sunderland should be worried. Gyan isn't that great and if Bent was to get injured I'd back them to go down.

They got a fantastic result at the weekend, that'll give them a huge boost, they'll be fine, although I agree Gyan is average at best and Bent is vital for them, but they could say the same thing about Carroll and us.

What team do they have ? Cause from what I see, only Shawcross and to a lesser extent Faye are any real quality there. The only flair playrs are Tuncay and Etherington, who are both distinctly average.

They've won games in the past in the PL by being physical and organised from set pieces, exploiting the long throws of Delap. They have historically created very few chances and their manager is extremely negative, that can only take you so far. Eventually their limited players will be exposed, I have a feeling this is the year. The signing of Jones was stupid, the 8 million outlay should have gone a couple of players that would add real quality and guile to their squad. Gudjohnson (if he signs) is a gamble too, personally I don't think he has the legs anymore and his motivation may be questionable.

I have a feeling Stoke could be worse off this year.  A lot of teams in the Prem have wised up to their negative tactics and long throws etc and won't be caught out as much as they have been by them.  Unless Stoke can bring something different and new compared to the last two seasons play then they may struggle to use the same old tricks get points.

Looking at those signings, Sunderland should be worried. Gyan isn't that great and if Bent was to get injured I'd back them to go down.

They got a fantastic result at the weekend, that'll give them a huge boost, they'll be fine, although I agree Gyan is average at best and Bent is vital for them, but they could say the same thing about Carroll and us.

Carroll isn't as vital for us as Bent is for them though, he's important, but Bent is basically their entire team.

Has the Babel transfer been confirmed? Would be nice to see him get a chance to play somwhere else, as a matter of fact I would have liked him at Newcastle even.

People consider Babel to be a poor player but he is so talented I think. Just made a mistake by moving to Liverpool when he was too young, especially for the headcase that is Rafa Benitez.

Carroll isn't nearly as vital for us as Bent is for them though.

I can't agree with that

andy carroll out, could this mean a transfer for us?

he'll miss England U21s and that's it i'd reckon. Maybe Blackpool if we're unlucky but we could play Best and get a win

Errr....injured? :lol: