Would you take 17th place right now ?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yes. What's the difference between 7th and 17th? Still stay up.

I said this a few months ago, the difference in prize money is like £7 million. Not a lot these days.

That's a lot of money to us.

Agreed. Especially if it is reinvested into the squad.

Like you said about selling Carroll earlier on in the week, money coming into the club is almost irrelevant to us (as fans) if the squad isn't improved.

I'd have been a lot more confident were it not for those two last minute equalisers.   I think the threshold for safety this year might be quite high based on how tight the league is at the moment and we still have some very hard games to come.

Certainly a kick in the balls after the event but a draw to the unwashed away and Spurs given the squad we had available were very good results, inspired confidence from myself anyway.

Just had a look at the last games (remember, not allowed to post on the forum ;) ) and predicted the points we would get from each. Come out to 19 which is the 49 I predicted previously.

Fairly certain now we will finish on 49 points  :laugh:

Just had a look at the last games (remember, not allowed to post on the forum ;) ) and predicted the points we would get from each. Come out to 19 which is the 49 I predicted previously.

Fairly certain now we will finish on 49 points  :laugh:

I predicted 48, as I expected to be beat yesterday. So from our remaining games it is now 49.

I said this a few months ago, the difference in prize money is like £7 million. Not a lot these days.

7m buys a pretty decent to good striker is a nice chunk of ashley's money paid back to him

fyp

7m buys a pretty decent to good striker

it doesn't - half the PL has £ 7mm strikers and are desperate to get someone else

17th would still represent progress on the whole as it would achieve your main target of staying up. However, it would now be massively disappointing to finish there so as long as your players remain professional, top 10 is a realistic 'aim'.

Guest palnese

17th would still represent progress on the whole as it would achieve your main target of staying up. However, it would now be massively disappointing to finish there so as long as your players remain professional, top 10 is a realistic 'aim'.

Agree with that. Where do you think Everton will end up?

Top 7/8 still remains entirely realistic. We've been total wank and are 13th (I think) yet we're only 3 points behind you lot in 7th. Strange old season, but I can't deny it's gone badly.

I certainly can't remember a season where, in early February (next round of PL games), a win can take a few teams up 5/6 places.

Guest palnese

Top 7/8 still remains entirely realistic. We've been total wank and are 13th (I think) yet we're only 3 points behind you lot in 7th. Strange old season, but I can't deny it's gone badly.

I certainly can't remember a season where, in early February (next round of PL games), a win can take a few teams up 5/6 places.

True. You'll end up above us, I'm pretty sure of that. I don't think that 6th place is out of the question yet either. You need a goalscoring striker though.

I don't think we're too far off having a quality squad...

Hmmm... Not too sure about that - we're not far from a quality first team, but as for quality squad... For instance, look at the difference between Spurs' bench and ours

Nope. We have to push on...push on to Moscow.

A top 10 place is definteley achievable and i reckon we could hit between 50-53 points come the end of the season which will probably place us between 7-9th.

As I've said before, I'd still take 17th place.

Wouldn't bode well for next season though, would it?  It would mean we'd had a pretty awful run of form, we'd be one of the favourites for the drop next year and we wouldn't be a particularly attractive prospect for players.  I'd rather take our chances, thanks.

If you're willing to take 17th place in a season where we're 9th after 23 games, you might as well "take 17th place" for next season as well. And the one after that. And the one after that.

In fact, go on and "take 17th place" for the rest of your life.

Guest Roger Kint

If you're willing to take 17th place in a season where we're 9th after 23 games, you might as well "take 17th place" for next season as well. And the one after that. And the one after that.

Its not like that at all man. Its hardly a major shock if we lost our next two, the gap to 16th is only 5 points now so hardly anything in it either up or down. I am at the stage where i wouldnt take 17th now at all anyway but i am not shortsighted enough to say crap like that just because i glanced at our position in the table.

Not really, we've just got promoted and it's essential we establish ourselves.

To finish 17th would require 8 of Stoke, Bolton, Blackpool, Villa, Everton, Fulham, West Brom, Birmingham, Wigan, Wolves and West Ham to get more points than us in the last bit of the season. I just can't see it happening, nor would I accept it.

The team have set the standard, they need to keep to it now.

I don't think there's such a thing as being established anymore tbh Ian. Any side outside the main 6-7 could have a bad season and drop whether they've been in the division for 1 season or 10 seasons. Most of our first-team aren't Championship players, didn't cost Championship fees, and certainly aren't on Championship wages. Sure, we've got the likes of Simpson & Williamson, but people like Carroll, Coloccini, Enrique, Jonas, Nolan, Barton, Tiote, Ben Arfa...they're top-half players imo.