Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

Guest neesy111

Wouldn't surprise me if Barton and Nolan are merely trying to exploit their affinity with the fans and the area and didn't count on the club doing exactly the same back at them.

Barton has been doing that exactly with his twitter stuff imo.  Which is why I don't buy any of it.

Guest bimpy474

I cant remember what news item i read about Nolan's contract but it said, He knew he wouldn't get a 5yr contract and was hoping for a 4yr, which he was offered but it was made up of incentives apparently, he must think he has earnt the right to a new contract without certain goals and attainments specified in it, he's wrong, no footballer should be entitled to anything without showing effort and progression.

Every contract at any football club should be one of attainment, if your Swansea, Norwich or Q.P.R it should be about staying up, Teams like Fulham, Stoke etc it should be about getting mid table/top ten, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal's it should be about winning trophies etc, the goals should change as a club progresses, as such so should the rewards.

You do well you get paid more, you do badly you get a basic wage, shame this isn't standard practice as it would root out lazy footballers, teams that want to get better wont if 2 or 3 players aren't pulling their weight, knock on effect is the players trying hard wont get the extra money or whatever incentive offered if there held back by lazy or non producing players.

How come "most" people on here think that Nolan is s*** until the opportunity comes along to criticise the current owner/chairman?

I hope to god that Nolan isn't still in our first team in 2013!!

Nolan & Barton aren't stupid they know what the fans think of the board. They could ask for anything they wanted, have it rejected, and it would be Ashley & Llambias that would get the flak. To be fair, the pair of them have done enough over the past to deserve the stick coming their way so have it coming to them, but there's no doubt in my mind Nolan & Barton are playing the fans a good one here.

As long as it doesn't effect his commitment to us then I see no problem with him not extending his contract. The problem may come if he sulks that he's not getting what he wants. If what is being said is true I'm glad the club are not committing. An extra 2 years on top of what he's got is more than adequate.

If he's that great a guy in the dressing room and the model pro most profess him to be, he shouldn't be sulking.

The United skipper had initially insisted he wanted a new five-year package, adding three years to the two he has left to run on his existing deal.

But The Journal has been told this was just a negotiating stance in the belief he would get a deal which tied him to United for the next four years.

Guest bimpy474

The United skipper had initially insisted he wanted a new five-year package, adding three years to the two he has left to run on his existing deal.

But The Journal has been told this was just a negotiating stance in the belief he would get a deal which tied him to United for the next four years.

That must be the one i read.....thank you sir...;)

So a week after they see Barton's contract talks breakdown due to the length of contract he wants, Nolan and his agent try doing the same. Genius. :lol:

They've been negotiating for ages man.

From what Nolan said at the talk in back in April, he really didn't want to go anyway, he was on about living up here for life. Granted it might all have been for good PR but he seemed genuine, he was quite coy on the contract front though, as though he knew it was going to be difficult.

So a week after they see Barton's contract talks breakdown due to the length of contract he wants, Nolan and his agent try doing the same. Genius. :lol:

They've been negotiating for ages man.

I know that but I'm sure they could have easily turned around after the Barton thing and said ok, 2-year extension or whatever.

so they've offered him a one year extension? tbh that would give him another 3 seasons here which imo is the right contract to offer. of course nolan will see it as his one last big contract and coming off the back of two big seasons he's probably entitled to have expected more.

however, reading between the lines it seems the club has leaked that 5 year info, only for nolan or his agent to respond by saying that was a negotiating stance. if true, that'll be the club engaging in a PR war with Nolan. they're a ruthless bunch and once they start going down that route i can't see any way back.

Perhaps the manager / owners foresee a midfield with both guile and more importantly - pace. Nolan ticks neither box and in my opinion wont be missed.

And his leadership and goals? I suppose they won't be missed either?

They will be if we don't replace it. But he's not the only player in the world with good leadership skills, who scores goals.

Guest neesy111

Perhaps the manager / owners foresee a midfield with both guile and more importantly - pace. Nolan ticks neither box and in my opinion wont be missed.

And his leadership and goals? I suppose they won't be missed either?

They will be if we don't replace it. But he's not the only player in the world with good leadership skills, who scores goals.

Exactly this.  Barton and Nolan's contribution off the pitch has helped us to survive relegation and finish in mid-table.  To make that next step up we need players who offer more and importantly in Nolan's case don't disappear from games after 60-70 mins imo.  Pardew has said he wants players that will lift fan's of their seats, Nolan & Barton long-term don't fit into that plan.

I agree with what people are saying about Nolan's ability and I have always been a harsh critic of his overall game. I also think that the team spirit should not be undervalued and Nolan is a huge part of this. I just hope they know what they are doing this time. The last thing we want is to start the season poorly because of a bunch of a disgruntled squad and a lack of team spirit which we worked so hard on in the championship to create.

Personally I'm delighted that Nolan got greedy and it's ended up blowing up in his face as I don't think he is good enough for a club like this. Interesting to hear that Blackburn are favourites to sign him as that is exactly the type of team which he should be at. A nice homely club without any aspirations other than to survive. There's not a chance in hell Villa will buy him, that's for sure.

It's an excellent move by the club. They're essentially taking out the fans' voice from within the club. If there are no little waterways for info to get out or disgruntled sentiments to get in, it's a nice little controllable group Ashley can set off and sit back and manage without much fear or uncertainty.

:lol:

It's an excellent move by the club. They're essentially taking out the fans' voice from within the club. If there are no little waterways for info to get out or disgruntled sentiments to get in, it's a nice little controllable group Ashley can set off and sit back and manage without much fear or uncertainty.

:lol:

Ridiculous isn't it..

Anyway, I'd honestly be wary of giving Nolan even 4 years never mind 5.  IMO for him to get 4 years he'd have to take a pay cut, or at least make the final year of the deal heavily performance based.

I know this will have been touched upon before, but i don't understand why this is such a pressing matter when he's still got 24 months left on his current deal.

I feel that he is an important member of the squad, both on the pitch and (most likely) in the dressing room too, and i would envisage that a long-term commitment from Nolan may help sway the minds of a couple other players. However, given that he's still committed for another two years at the least, his position is hardly assailable as things stand.

At the moment this just seems like a really needless attempt to chuck a spanner in the works of a great squad camaraderie. Brought on, surprise surprise, by some comments made by Barton earlier in the year. "I'll sign if Nolan does." Nolan's here for another two years anyway, you jessie.

Asking for a 3 year extension is lunacy from Nolan. Can't imagine any club agreeing to that tbh.

Got to said that he's negotiating with exactly the same people who offered him so much in Jan '09.....not totally Nolan's fault. They were happy to throw big money at him then and his goals have got us promoted and stabalised us first season back.

Can't say much more than that without knowing the specifics of what's been offered or asked for.

I know this will have been touched upon before, but i don't understand why this is such a pressing matter when he's still got 24 months left on his current deal.

I feel that he is an important member of the squad, both on the pitch and (most likely) in the dressing room too, and i would envisage that a long-term commitment from Nolan may help sway the minds of a couple other players. However, given that he's still committed for another two years at the least, his position is hardly assailable as things stand.

At the moment this just seems like a really needless attempt to chuck a spanner in the works of a great squad camaraderie. Brought on, surprise surprise, by some comments made by Barton earlier in the year. "I'll sign if Nolan does." Nolan's here for another two years anyway, you jessie.

Exactly.