Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

How many times would Guthrie even find himself in that position?

Guthrie sits way too deep for my liking whenever he plays so would have most likely been lounging around the centre circle. Mind you, Barton has a knack of playing too deep in CM as well.

He is not Bellamy that can involve in any play --- we gotta accept this.  He is the one who usually get into the best scoring position, regardless playing just behind Carroll or two strikers or in central midfield with Tiote (and Barton).  But by doing so, he cannot track back quick enough and that leave Tiote (and Barton) the only midfielders to defend opponent's counter attack.  That's the dilemma: we can have a very "effective" Nolan by risking our defense, or we can have a "hidden" one who does not need to protect our midfield.

I think what Chris and Pardew did is fair enough --- start with a prudence approach, and change the system whenever needed.  We have to survive in EPL this season.  If we are free from relegation, certainly we should play a lot more aggressive but that's not the case at the moment.

I know we still lose games or play shit in games when he is on but we really miss having another person able to score when Nolan isn't playing. Carroll was completely lost up there on his own today but he was the only option and the only one remotely likely to score.

I think Nolan, Carroll, Barton (if on the right wing) and Enrique will make the difference between staying up or going down. We need all of them fit for the rest of the season which could be a problem in Barton's and Enrique's case.