Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

I think people too often assume that Nolan's lack of pace means he doesn't make himself available for passes, but he so often goes un-noticed because he receives a pass, and then releases it. He doesn't often misplace a pass, or take a horrible touch. I've always said that every technical attribute of Nolan's is premier league standard, easily, it's just his pace that lets him down.

Have to say I was wrong about him. At the beginning of the season I wanted him dropped. The games where he hasn't played have really highlighted how defensively minded our midfielders are. When he's in the team there's actually someone for Carroll to knock headers down to and create chances. He has his limitations but he's playing well to his strengths at the moment. Don't know how much of an influence he is as captain but it looks like he makes a positive difference anyway.

He was excellent yesterday. True captain's performance, don't know if anybody noticed him yelling and talking to everybody before the game trying to rile them up  :thup:

Still think he's had a multitide of poor games for us, but he's invaluable for us when you consider what is in reserve. Keep it up fatboy.

Guest firetotheworks

Whatever worries I have about his abilities in general play, there's no doubt that he's a class finisher, and a brilliant captain.

He, along with of course Barton and Carroll, is the difference between lower mid-table and a relegation scrap.  Certainly an X-Factor.  Apart form scoring, you really don't know what he does well, but when he's gone, we are much the worse for it.  Reminds me of nearly every player on this year's World Series winning Giants team. 

Or like Ozzy in Black Sabbath.  Ozzy, a mediocre singer on his best days...but thrown together with Iommi, Butler and Ward, then the sum is much greater than the parts.

Was he playing with an injury during our relegation season?

I've gone from hating him to thinking he's one of the most important player in our team.

I seem to recall that he said he was carrying an injury when he first arrived.

Guest Stephen927

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5047/5256975993_2b5b030a3c_z.jpg

:lol:

"First things first: WHERE'S YOUR SHITTER? I've got a turtle-head poking out. I'm not kiddin'. I've got a crap on deck that could choke a donkey. Aww, it's SQUIDGY. Christ, I'm gettin' all emotional from it, ya know?"

To be fair, his goals were vital last year. I can put up with him as long as he keeps popping up with goals. :) his all round game is s***, granted, but goals win games.

In his current state of fitness, he is highly unlikely to score anywhere NEAR the number of goals in the PL that he did in the CCC.

17 CCC goals in 09/10

8 Prem goals in 10/11 (19 game remaining)

Guest Tall Striker

To be fair, his goals were vital last year. I can put up with him as long as he keeps popping up with goals. :) his all round game is s***, granted, but goals win games.

In his current state of fitness, he is highly unlikely to score anywhere NEAR the number of goals in the PL that he did in the CCC.

17 CCC goals in 09/10

8 Prem goals in 10/11 (19 game remaining)

99% of strikers would be over the moon with those statistics, so for a central midfielder to have them shows how vital he is for us.

Looks a totally different player to the dud we signed in 2008 and long may it continue. He's certainly turned my opinion of him around completely.

Not that i don't appreciate his goals, but it's misleading to say he deserves more credit simply because of his position in the lineup. He plays essentially as a third striker.

As long as he has Tiote behind him he is doing a great job.

Without Tiote we can't really afford his style but then we don't have anyone better to replace him.

Of all the out and out midfielders in this league I reckon Cahill and maybe Lampard are the only ones that are better finishers than he is. So composed in front of goal it's scary.

I think Nolan is a better finisher than Cahill. Nolan puts away basically every chance he gets. The thing with Cahill is he's much more involved and get at the end of every cross into the box. Lampard is a threat from everywhere as he's a much better player, but Nolan is so composed in front of goal like you said that i'd say he's the best midfield finisher.