Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Such a weird mix of abilities combined with tireless running and effort. World class technique in tight spaces, the long runs relieving pressure and the ability to win freekicks without really diving. Absolutely no end product due to his inability to shoot or cross but tbf if he did have end product he wouldn't have been anywhere near Ashley's NUFC.

Easily one of my favourite Ashley era players, enjoy the retirement Jonas!

Edited by Pata

He was brilliant as a holding midfielder during that incredible spell in 2011/12 when we couldn't stop winning. Suited his attributes far more at that point; stamina, close control, an inability to deliver a successful ball from the wing...

20 hours ago, Chris_R said:

I loved his effort and workrate, but fuck me I hated seeing him play left-wing.

He had no shot on him, so couldn't cut inside, and was entirely one-footed so couldn't cross with his left. He was a decent footballer though with pace, decent technique and could run all day, but fucking hell he was one of the worst left wingers I've ever seen. :lol:

Still loved him though. Hope he enjoys his retirement. :)

Obertan says hi

Haha, I did say "one of"!

Don't get me wrong, Jonas had his merits as a player way beyond the likes of Obertan, of course he did. His ability to hold up the ball, his strength, that he could dribble out of tight spaces etc was vital to us at times and he was a valuable team member in that regard.

However in terms of "being a winger", he was fucking awful. I was desperate to see him play on the right for a bit, but for some reason we never tried it. At least on the right he'd have been able to put a cross in you'd think? His left foot was only good for standing on so he produced absolutely nothing on the right wing and never would do in a million years. He'd get to the byline and you'd have 0 expectation that anything would come of it because all he could do is swing his left leg aimlessly at the ball and shank it into the stand. If he had a decent shot on him you could claim he was an inverted winger, but his shooting with his right was little better than his crossing with his left.

He had so many great attributes, but absolutely no end product at all and I think at least part of that might have been helped by a switch to the other flank. We should have at least tried it for a decent amount of time because let's face it he couldn't possibly have offered LESS end product on the right. Oh well.

8 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

From that era I think there's only Jonas and Tiote who I will have lasting memories of.  Top bloke.

There have been quite a few likable characters tbf. Other than the two you mention I will always fondly remember Demba Ba, Jose Enrique, Ben Arfa and I’m probably forgetting a fair few.

Someone should do a best and worst Ashley era XI. The best was actually quite good, but big oh boy did we have our fair share of absolute wasters.

Just now, Unbelievable said:

There have been quite a few likable characters tbf. Other than the two you mention I will always fondly remember Demba Ba, Jose Enrique, Ben Arfa and I’m probably forgetting a fair few.

Someone should do a best and worst Ashley era XI. The best was actually quite good, but big oh boy did we have our fair share of absolute wasters.

I loved Ba but I don't remember his as "ours" like I do with Tiote and Jonas. Same with Enrique (especially with him) and partly with Ben Arfa (oh what could have been).

38 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

So much for a 'quick look' before the end of my lunch break... 

Treating them all as them at their peak:

Krul

Beye - Schär - Coloccini - Enrique

Tiote - Cabaye

Sissoko        Ben Arfa      S-Maximin

Ba

The bad one feels impossible to do. :lol: So many options.

Sels

Krafth

Hanley

Campbell

Haidara (s'pose?) 

Butt

Smith

Hendrick

Cabella

L De Jong

Rivieire

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

So much for a 'quick look' before the end of my lunch break... 

Treating them all as them at their peak:

Krul

Beye - Schär - Coloccini - Enrique

Tiote - Cabaye

Sissoko        Ben Arfa      S-Maximin

Ba

The bad one feels impossible to do. :lol: So many options.

Sels

Krafth

Hanley

Campbell

Haidara (s'pose?) 

Butt

Smith

Hendrick

Cabella

L De Jong

Rivieire

You just doing this on the peak form achieved during their time here?

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

You just doing this on the peak form achieved during their time here?

Yeah like for eg I think Krul at his best pips Dubravka at his best, Sissoko probably just beats Wijnaldum even though he probably had a higher percentage of bad games than Gini. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah like for eg I think Krul at his best pips Dubravka at his best, Sissoko probably just beats Wijnaldum even though he probably had a higher percentage of bad games than Gini. 

Nice. I'd like to propose Doumbia, Colback, and Khizanishvili for the worst XI, please and thank you.

Dunno if you can really count the likes of Doumbia though cos they hardly played. Like for instance if Messi played one match for us I wouldn't have included him in my Best line-up even though he'd unquestionably be better than anyone else in contention. 

Colback is a shout but Butt and Smith could hardly kick a ball in the year we first went down. 

Tough to choose between Beye, Debuchy and Janmaat

He got quite a bit of stick for his defensive positioning but I thought Janmaat was really good for us attacking wise

Gutted Santon didn't make it here

My Ashley XI

Dubravka

Beye

Colo

Lejune

Enrique

HBA

Cabaye

Tiote

ASM

Ba

Wilson

That team would challenge for the top 4 easily under a competent manager.