Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011

Guest koenji

The lad is out of contract at the end of the season, they're already worried about him being pounced on by English teams ala Fabregas, Merida, Pacheco so it would seem strange for them to give him the opportunity of experiencing first team football and getting a taste that will ultimately just make him more tempted to leave.

Split on Keane.

On one side I think he could flourish given an extended run of games and the chance of a partnership with AC. On the other side he could be a huge disapointment and going for someone completely different might be a better idea.

He would bring alot of experience, which we are definately missing right now up front. He has more of a footballing brain than our entire front line too, I'm not saying that is hard to match or beat though.

Babel is a decent shout although I think he could be more of a gamble than Keane. We need someone that we will be consistent and reliable so the likes of AC and Ranger can come through at the right pace. Our budget might give us problems finding that kind of player.

'With just hours to go until the opening of the transfer window...'

Huh?

Just hours to go til the end of the season too.. Just a lot of em.

Taarabt wouldnt make a whole lot of sense given the other positions we need to strengthen in. Being Newcastle I guess that means it will likely happen.

Think he'd cost quite a bit too

The question in everyone's mind at this point is "will Ashley shock us all by backing Pardew with substantial cash because it's "his man"?

The answer is of course "will he fuck"

It's last chance saloon for Keane though. He's not got long left at the top but he's still got enough in the tank to have two or three very good seasons. On paper he'd work well with Carroll, too. He's always been a quality, quality striker imo. The Liverpool thing was just too big for him - everything about that move was wrong - and it fucked him up. We would be the perfect move for him, imo. He'd go straight into the first team with an excellent striker he could work off.

Like i say - for the right price. Anything over £5m and they can take a hike.

No thank you to Taarabt.

I know he has flashes of pure brilliance, but he does sweet FA in between.  Couldn't carry somebody like that in the EPL.

So take out the flashes of pure brilliance and its kind of like having Smith, Shola, Perch, Lovenkrands and Guthrie then. To name a few.  Surely he would be an upgrade.