Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011

Guest koenji

on bridge i could see why padrew may be looking at him for cover/competition for jose considering how reliant we are on him to stay fit, the problem being ma would not pay his wages unless pardews managed to trigger some sudden desire to spend cash

Guest pont-toon

on bridge i could see why padrew may be looking at him for cover/competition for jose considering how reliant we are on him to stay fit, the problem being ma would not pay his wages unless pardews managed to trigger some sudden desire to spend cash

anyone else not had the scary thought that Pardew is to Ashley as what Souness was to Shepherd and that he might have taken leave of his senses and thought feck this, lets have a real crack at this and splash the cash.

No? - me neither !

anyone else not had the scary thought that Pardew is to Ashley as what Souness was to Shepherd and that he might have taken leave of his senses and thought feck this, lets have a real crack at this and splash the cash.

No? - me neither !

Right now everything seems to be pointed at us spending cash, Ashley may see it as he has someone he can trust to spend his money and wants to make sure relegation is not possible by securing some decent players.

End of the day relegation would financially cripple the club, Ashley must make sure its not going to happen and the best way is to add to the decent core we've already got.

I'm optimistic we'll get two attacking signings with decent reps through the door before the window closes, people will respond its Ashley and he's tight etc...and there's a chance they are right, but I think there's just as much chance we do something half decent in this window as well.

Jose hasn't looked quite himself this last few weeks. The other players have adjusted to the change of manager, but his focus seems to have gone a bit. I don't know how settled he is in England and the North east in particular, but if you've been wondering about moving on, the loss of Hughton could be the trigger / excuse you need.

So Bridge for Jose wouldn't be the most earth-shattering news.

Conversely, if his Twitter is anything to go by, he's just about the most happy, settled player ever.

Well, as I said, I don't know the personal angle, but during Hughton's spell in charge, he was probably our most improved player. And I think his performances have slipped a bit since Hughton's departure. Not a lot, just a bit, like he's lost a bit of confidence.

My point was more that you can read into anything and twist it into something it's not.

You're drastically overanalysing it, imo.

Yeah, maybe. It's just a thought. He's just looked a little bit more subdued of late.

Conversely, if his Twitter is anything to go by, he's just about the most happy, settled player ever.

Well, as I said, I don't know the personal angle, but during Hughton's spell in charge, he was probably our most improved player. And I think his performances have slipped a bit since Hughton's departure. Not a lot, just a bit, like he's lost a bit of confidence.

he's been that way all season. defensivly solid but not getting forward as much (even when he's had acres of space in front of him) and his dsitribution is what keeps him out the national teams thinking.

My point was more that you can read into anything and twist it into something it's not.

You're drastically overanalysing it, imo.

Yeah, maybe. It's just a thought. He's just looked a little bit more subdued of late.

Could be just burnt out a little bit? Being our only LB means he plays probably a bit too often.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Tottenham-outcast-David-Bentley-tops-Newcastle-s-wanted-list-now-that-a-David-Beckham-loan-is-unlikely-article663109.html

Pardew said yesterday United may have to break its policy of only signing youngsters to protect the club’s Premier League status, saying his squad is “vulnerable”.

He added: “Occasionally there does come a time, especially in the first year after promotion, when you sometimes need a guiding hand. Somebody that makes sure you just don’t get yourself in trouble, which can happen easily at this level.

“You can go on a run of six games without a win and suddenly you’re in trouble. My argument against that particular policy of only signing youngsters for this window is that we have to make sure we’re open on all levels here, because we’re only halfway through the season and we’re vulnerable.

“Andy Carroll’s injury proves how vulnerable all that can be. No, the policy hasn’t changed. The other thing you can argue is that perhaps one of the reasons why I’m sitting here is because I know that young player market, particularly in England, as well as any other Premier League manager and that’s something I’m looking at in this window too.

“The most important thing for me, looking at this group, is that it doesn’t get destabilised as well. I don’t know what the impact of a senior player like a Robbie Keane or a David Beckham might have on this group. I have to be very careful that it’s the right impact and that’s something else I’ll discuss with my staff and the people in power who are here.”

Get that helmet on Alan.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Tottenham-outcast-David-Bentley-tops-Newcastle-s-wanted-list-now-that-a-David-Beckham-loan-is-unlikely-article663109.html

Pardew said yesterday United may have to break its policy of only signing youngsters to protect the club’s Premier League status, saying his squad is “vulnerable”.

He added: “Occasionally there does come a time, especially in the first year after promotion, when you sometimes need a guiding hand. Somebody that makes sure you just don’t get yourself in trouble, which can happen easily at this level.

“You can go on a run of six games without a win and suddenly you’re in trouble. My argument against that particular policy of only signing youngsters for this window is that we have to make sure we’re open on all levels here, because we’re only halfway through the season and we’re vulnerable.

“Andy Carroll’s injury proves how vulnerable all that can be. No, the policy hasn’t changed. The other thing you can argue is that perhaps one of the reasons why I’m sitting here is because I know that young player market, particularly in England, as well as any other Premier League manager and that’s something I’m looking at in this window too.

“The most important thing for me, looking at this group, is that it doesn’t get destabilised as well. I don’t know what the impact of a senior player like a Robbie Keane or a David Beckham might have on this group. I have to be very careful that it’s the right impact and that’s something else I’ll discuss with my staff and the people in power who are here.”

Get that helmet on Alan.

except he doesn't actually say anything.

Agreed, Alan. The rest was unnecassary though.