Everton 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 18/09/10 - post match reaction from page 36

Dave

Guest malandro

OK, one good performance won't convince me either.

I think the key will be how long before he gets fed up and decides he wants to be somewhere else. I think he's more than good enough to play in this league otherwise.

The lad’s got a touch of class. He reminds me of Beardsley during Pedro’s first spell at SJP. Very different player but looks quicker of foot and thought than the rest of the team. The big question is why wasn’t there any competition for his signature?

Apart from Werder Bremen?

Nit picking. NUFC and WB aren’t the only clubs with scouts. Nor are they only clubs he would have been touted to by his agent. From what we've seen of him so far he wouldn’t look out of place at a Champions League club.

Just got back. Thoroughly deserved win. Thought everyone played well (jonas aside) but Barton, ben arfa and tiote deserve a special mention.

Brilliant result.

??? What did Jonas do wrong exactly. He was a winger playing upfront by himself while we pinned back in our own half facing constant pressure. He ran around a bit and chased the ball. You can't ask more.

We were f***ing atrocious, and you played well. Hit the post, should have scored in the last minute blah blah blah. No complaints.

Why was Moyes reluctant to go with two upfront? It thought Aiyegbeni held the ball up pretty well actually and could have done well with a mobile player running off of him.

The lad’s got a touch of class. He reminds me of Beardsley during Pedro’s first spell at SJP. Very different player but looks quicker of foot and thought than the rest of the team. The big question is why wasn’t there any competition for his signature?

He only wanted to come here.

I think the key will be how long before he gets fed up and decides he wants to be somewhere else. I think he's more than good enough to play in this league otherwise.

Nit picking. NUFC and WB aren’t the only clubs with scouts. Nor are they only clubs he would have been touted to by his agent. From what we've seen of him so far he wouldn’t look out of place at a Champions League club.

The fucking irony. :lol:

Guest malandro

The lads got a touch of class. He reminds me of Beardsley during Pedros first spell at SJP. Very different player but looks quicker of foot and thought than the rest of the team. The big question is why wasnt there any competition for his signature?

Nit picking. NUFC and WB arent the only clubs with scouts. Nor are they only clubs he would have been touted to by his agent. From what we've seen of him so far he wouldnt look out of place at a Champions League club.

The f***ing irony. :lol:

I doubt you know what the word means.

I also compared him to Beardsley in the HBA thread, mainly because I used to watch generally crap Newcastle teams which were transformed by talented individuals like Beardsley, Waddle and Gascoigne. The difference was end product. All three didn't just have skill they delivered the knockout blow. Just like Ben Arfa duid today.

The big question is why wasn’t there any competition for his signature?

The obvious guess is that they've probably been monitoring him, but were wary of his reputation for falling out with teammates/managers/etc and generally being a disruptive influence off the pitch. Can also see quite a few managers not willing to take a chance on a flair player who might not buy into the team ethos or might not follow tactical instructions.

Similar to how Anelka ended up at Bolton, then a season and a half later had ManU and Chelsea scambling to sign him (even though he was the same quality player ability-wise he has been for much of his career and prior to his move to Bolton). It probably just needed someone else to take the risk and show that he wasn't an unsettling influence and his ability did warrant investment.

The big question is why wasn’t there any competition for his signature?

The obvious guess is that they've probably been monitoring him, but were wary of his reputation for falling out with teammates/managers/etc and generally being a disruptive influence off the pitch. Can also see quite a few managers not willing to take a chance on a flair player who might not buy into the team ethos or might not follow tactical instructions.

Similar to how Anelka ended up at Bolton, then a season and a half later had ManU and Chelsea scambling to sign him (even though he was the same quality player ability-wise he has been for much of his career and prior to his move to Bolton). It probably just needed someone else to take the risk and show that he wasn't an unsettling influence and his ability did warrant investment.

I reckon this is spot on.

Guest malandro

The big question is why wasnt there any competition for his signature?

I reckon this is spot on.

Very possibly, but he must have a terrible reputation to put off every club bar us and possibly WB. It was just a loan deal.

Guest malandro

The lads got a touch of class. He reminds me of Beardsley during Pedros first spell at SJP. Very different player but looks quicker of foot and thought than the rest of the team. The big question is why wasnt there any competition for his signature?

I also compared him to Beardsley in the HBA thread, mainly because I used to watch generally crap Newcastle teams which were transformed by talented individuals like Beardsley, Waddle and Gascoigne. The difference was end product. All three didn't just have skill they delivered the knockout blow. Just like Ben Arfa duid today.

Beardsley in particular made the players around him better than they were. Whereas Gazza and Waddle lifted the level of the team but were more individual players? Not very well explained.

Outstanding result today.

Ben Arfa will single-handedly lead us to European glory.

He, will, Messi can fuck off tbf.  Seriously though I knew the lad had talent I was dubious whether he could direct that talent, especially away from home, if he can keep this up till Jan we need to go in and sign him then, even Ashley will recognise this as the lad could be worth way more than the reporteed agreed 6m fee.  It's all conjecture at this point he needs to do this most weeks.

Just back now. Echo what many have said.

Tiote was just class, so calm and such great control on the ball. Ben Arfa's level of skill & ability to beat a man is ridiculous, what a shot. Barton had a good game along with Williamson/Colo/Enrique & even perch being very organised at the back.

Even watching Nolan showed he does make a good captain. They all listened to him & he was sorting out offside traps on the freekicks & all kinds. Getting players to close down their defenders, its all important.  Ben Arfa looked very good in the middle though running at defenders. Good to have options.

Clear pen btw. Great win.

We were class today. Cracking atmosphere in our section, Everton fans were shit, ref was the worst I've ever seen.

Harper 6 - Was solid till his injury,

Perch 7 - Played well and linked up well with Routledge on the right.

Williamson 7 - One or two errors. Impeccable otherwise.

Coloccini 8 - Top class today. Even bombed down the wing at one point :lol:

Enrique 7 - Great in both attack and defence again.

Routledge 7 - Carried plenty of attacking threat, always a danger to their defence.

Tiote 9 - Looks a really good defensive midfielder. Good on the ball as well and not bad going forward.

Barton 7 - Plenty of drive going forward, decent deliveries in the box and battled for everything.

Ben Arfa 10 - The man is unreal. Not just his goal, he skinned their defence everytime, every touch was near perfect. Just sheer brilliance.

Nolan 7 - Again battled for everything and should have scored had he not been scythed down in the box from behind in what was a blatant penalty not given.

Carroll 7 - Won most of his headers, hold up play was good as well. Did his job basically.

Krul 8  - Canny. Totally dominates his area and pulled off some good saves. Should make the keeper spot his own with Harper out.

Jonas 5 - Didn't really do much, was only on 10 mins to be fair.

Dissapointed with jonas comments again, give the lad a break, if anything was proved today it was how fat and slow Nolan still is and that he should be dropped. Noticed many times Enrique had made his surge forward only to realise he had no help, this is where guti lends a hand and allows Jose to come inside for a push into the box. That aside class performance and thoroughly enjoyed most of it!

Did Coloccini get a toe on Fellaini's late chance? I thought he'd just skied it but I keep reading that Coloccini deflected it over. If so absolutely brilliant by Colo.

A corner was given I think, so it must have been.

Dissapointed with jonas comments again, give the lad a break, if anything was proved today it was how fat and slow Nolan still is and that he should be dropped. Noticed many times Enrique had made his surge forward only to realise he had no help, this is where guti lends a hand and allows Jose to come inside for a push into the box. That aside class performance and thoroughly enjoyed most of it!

Utter dross. Nolan was really good today.