Carling Cup fourth round - Arsenal (h) Pre-Match Thread

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can we nip the media hype that Arse plays kids in the cup as it makes out like he is sending academy kids out.

The last team they played in the cup

Polish international GK

Ivory coast international

£8.45 million CB

Switzerland international

England international LB

Former Brazilian U20 captain

England international CM

French international

Czech international

England U21 player

Mexican international (when he is not banned)

OK then, he rests some first-teamers and bloods some youngsters. It's clear he doesn't send out a bunch of 14 year olds and go "pass them to death you fuckers!"

I think the side against Spurs was a tad stronger than people imagined, because it was Spurs.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the reason Arsenal sent out a "stronger than usual" team against Spuds was not so much because of the derby, but because many of the youngsters he would have used are injured, and thus Wenger played first teamers out of necessity...

EDIT: Here it is

Yet Wenger, despite this win, denied he has altered his stance on prioritising and said that an injury crisis forced his hand into fielding players he would prefer to have rested. "I maintain that the Champions League and the Championship are the big competitions that really count but I want to win every single game," he said. "We have a momentum going and it's important not to interrupt it. I have so many players with injuries but if everyone is fit we can go for every competition."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=825678&sec=england&root=england&cc=3436

Having said that, reading the whole article gives Wenger's motives a different perspective - and it's one backed up by Rosicky in this article: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=826138&sec=england&cc=3436&cc=3436

Can we nip the media hype that Arse plays kids in the cup as it makes out like he is sending academy kids out.

The last team they played in the cup

Polish international GK

Ivory coast international

£8.45 million CB

Switzerland international

England international LB

Former Brazilian U20 captain

England international CM

French international

Czech international

England U21 player

Mexican international (when he is not banned)

OK then, he rests some first-teamers and bloods some youngsters. It's clear he doesn't send out a bunch of 14 year olds and go "pass them to death you fuckers!"

I think the side against Spurs was a tad stronger than people imagined, because it was Spurs.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the reason Arsenal sent out a "stronger than usual" team against Spuds was not so much because of the derby, but because many of the youngsters he would have used are injured, and thus Wenger played first teamers out of necessity...

EDIT: Here it is

Yet Wenger, despite this win, denied he has altered his stance on prioritising and said that an injury crisis forced his hand into fielding players he would prefer to have rested. "I maintain that the Champions League and the Championship are the big competitions that really count but I want to win every single game," he said. "We have a momentum going and it's important not to interrupt it. I have so many players with injuries but if everyone is fit we can go for every competition."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=825678&sec=england&root=england&cc=3436

Having said that, reading the whole article gives Wenger's motives a different perspective - and it's one backed up by Rosicky in this article: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=826138&sec=england&cc=3436&cc=3436

he's not gonna win the championship this season, dafty :razz:

to be honest some internet nerd with time on his/her hands should look into this: has any other club in say the last 20 years consistently drawn such difficult opposition as NUFC in both domestic cups?

i'd truly be interested to know, might be a bit hard to judge but honestly this particular one is fucking ridiculous - beat the reigning champions on their ground and get rewarded with arsenal

teams outwith the top 2/3/4 usually thrive on the 'one big win' to make it and win a surprise, what fucking chance do we have we these draws?

Guest dazzanufc1892

cant wait, will be making the 2 hour journey, leave nice and early, get in the gate, have some dinner, then cheer on the boys, should be a fantastic evening

to be honest some internet nerd with time on his/her hands should look into this: has any other club in say the last 20 years consistently drawn such difficult opposition as NUFC in both domestic cups?

i'd truly be interested to know, might be a bit hard to judge but honestly this particular one is fucking ridiculous - beat the reigning champions on their ground and get rewarded with arsenal

teams outwith the top 2/3/4 usually thrive on the 'one big win' to make it and win a surprise, what fucking chance do we have we these draws?

We've been drawn against our fair share of tripe as well though

Guest stokie5554

We had a shite run in the F.A cup last year. . .

. . . York City (home) W 3 - 1

Arsenal (home) W 3 - 1

Man Citeh ( home ) W 3 - 1

Chelsea Away L 2 - 0

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Welcome to the forums, Stokie (had no idea we had a Stoke fan!).

I'd be OK with the same team against Chelsea playing against Arsenal. I think we'd get beat either way, but it'd be decent to see our fringe players in more competitive football.

Guest stokie5554

Welcome to the forums, Stokie (had no idea we had a Stoke fan!).

I'd be OK with the same team against Chelsea playing against Arsenal. I think we'd get beat either way, but it'd be decent to see our fringe players in more competitive football.

Cheers mate. :thup: