Newcastle United 2 - 2 Wigan Athletic - 16/10/10 - post match reaction from p21

Nate

Terrible first half. Idle musings follow..

We can't play 4-4-2.

We miss Nolan, (not us, but the players on the pitch - miss him shouting orders?)

Martinez > Hughton

The whole team seems off the pace, there's been very little play that has approached any quality. Conversely there's been mistakes all over the park.

Bear in mind Houghton has pittance to spend (relatively) over the summer, Perch was a bit of a gamble on the cheap

If the rumours of around 1 million in fees for Perch it's the worst way to spend money indeed!

Bear in mind Houghton has pittance to spend (relatively) over the summer, Perch was a bit of a gamble on the cheap. Can't see how he's now being started ahead of R.Taylor, but we do have two other potential right backs (Simpson and S.Taylor) who could well be playing there instead. Not many teams have great third/fourth choice right-backs to be fair...

We'd been chasing Perch for over half a season so would hardly call him a cheap gamble. Our management wanted him, presumably based on the mediocre performances he produced as a teenager for Calderwood in League One.

Right... I've been out. What the fuck?? I was checking on my phone and genuinely thought it was a cruel joke by BBC Sport staff when I saw N'Zogbia 22 N'Zogbia 23. Unreal. If they were to do this, you knew who would be scoring.

Right... I've been out. What the f***?? I was checking on my phone and genuinely thought it was a cruel joke by BBC Sport staff when I saw N'Zogbia 22 N'Zogbia 23. Unreal. If they were to do this, you knew who would be scoring.

Exactly, can't believe I didn't have money on him to score first. Would of softened the inevitable blow.

Figueroa and Zog are a dangerous combo on the left. Having Perch teamed up with Guthrie, who is not a typical wide player and who is just returning from injury, to face them was a very bad idea. Routledge's tracking back and defensive work is underrated.

Perch has been woeful in this game, but I don't think he's being done any favours by Guthrie.

Guthrie has been completely anonymous on that right hand side, leaving Perch to have to run forward all the time as Guthrie keeps disappearing and leaving Perch no one to pass to, this then gets Perch massively out of position.  Perch is also being totally dominated by N'Zgobia.

Whilst Perch has been pretty pathetic in this game, he has had some decent games too, so I think those who are calling for him to be dropped from the squad completely are over reacting just a tiny bit (mind you, he should definitely be subbed off from this game).

Perch is a complete liability. Has to be replaced asap. We should be 0-3 down

Jonas and Enrique are the only ones capable of creating we are to predictable and need some creativity from the left and central positions

He's got one last throw of the dice here 2nd half, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain, we should go something like:

Krul

Routledge  Williamson  Colo      Enrique

Ranger  Tiote    Guthrie/Barton      Jonas

Gola 

Carroll   

Don't know why Ameobi hasn't been given a chance recently. Despite a lack of pace and mobility it would bring us, I think himself and Carroll would be no worse than Carroll-Loven up top.

A draw would be good now, but even then its a fucking shite result.

We actually need a miracle.