James Perch

James

Ive been thinking this since the start of the season, he barely looked championship quality if we're honest. Someone answer me what chris sees in him to play him above raylor?

I really cannot think of the last time we had a player that clearly wasn't up to standard and persisted in playing them for this length of time. Its bizare.

Shola ? Come to think of it most of the team that got us relegated.

He has all the physical attributes to succeed but his positioning, awareness and reading of the game (in particular the latter) are truly awful. I've seen him dive in for tackles that it's blatantly obvious he won't win. A good example would be about 8 minutes into his unofficial home debut vs PSV, where he dived in to concede the freekick for the goal (and what would have been a red card in any league, had it been competitive and not a friendly). Since then he's not looked back, he's been utterly shocking.

Needs dropping and selling, Hughton needs to swallow his pride with this lad and Best. The two were punts that didn't come off, and getting rid in January would remove two blemishes on an otherwise good transfer market record.

Ive been thinking this since the start of the season, he barely looked championship quality if we're honest. Someone answer me what chris sees in him to play him above raylor?

I really cannot think of the last time we had a player that clearly wasn't up to standard and persisted in playing them for this length of time. Its bizare.

Shola ? Come to think of it most of the team that got us relegated.

Shola was never really first XI though. As for our relegation team, most of them had shown good form at some point, whether it be on the rare occasion that season or seasons prior. I don't think Perch has had a good 45 mins yet :S

He has all the physical attributes to succeed but his positioning, awareness and reading of the game (in particular the latter) are truly awful. I've seen him dive in for tackles that it's blatantly obvious he won't win. A good example would be about 8 minutes into his unofficial home debut vs PSV, where he dived in to concede the freekick for the goal (and what would have been a red card in any league, had it been competitive and not a friendly). Since then he's not looked back, he's been utterly shocking.

Needs dropping and selling, Hughton needs to swallow his pride with this lad and Best. The two were punts that didn't come off, and getting rid in January would remove two blemishes on an otherwise good transfer market record.

Confidence is shot.. he needs dropped and coached the RB role as if he was a 15 yearold kid.. you are spot on that he has all the physical attributes to do the job. Give him Sol as a mentor and lets see if he can coach him a bit.

He was jeered off? Wankers.

The bloke who wrote it must have been sitting near me :lol: someone a few rows back "yeah get off you useless f***ing c***!!!"

This is what makes succeeding at Newcastle such a tough job. playing at St. James puts players firmly under the microscope, big success starved crowds, nearly every other game is televised live, and the pressure is intense even without the abuse and whispering campaigns that players are bound to pick up on.  Some players find it a struggle to come to terms with.

Anyone who was at the match yesterday could see that this has got to certain players and their confidence is shot for playing at home as a result. Perch and Williamson seemed terrified of receiving the ball, you could see them freeze when they were in possesion.

They will probably be ok away next week at WHU if selected as the abusing type mentioned in the previous message dont usually hold sway in the away fans following.

Guest Stephen927

Grasping at straws here but he may need time to settle. Definitely needs to be taken away from the front line and let Ryan Taylor or Simpson come in for some flak.

He's certainly struggling with the pressure but is he really a RB? I think he'd be better in midfield where he isn't involved in the last line and where mistakes count double.

Back up for Tiote, possibly double up on the RW for dangerous wingers and fullbacks, while being 3rd choice RB. Saying that, that is probably going to be Gosling's role which we know he's prem proven.

He's been thrown in at the deep end and is struggling badly, his confidence must be shot now and really Raylor should be in there to take off the pressure, even if it is to prove Raylor struggles as well and we've got no options.

Don't want to give up on him as I think we've got a rep for giving up on players too quickly, but sometimes its nailed on from the start, him and Best were always going to struggle and it's really vital he steps up quickly or we look elsewhere because we can't afford to carry him like this, we'll go down if so and now were in our worst position to give players time.

Ship up or ship out.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I amazed folk are happy for Ryan Taylor to play, he's every bit as bad as Perch defensively.

Yeah, but he has the ability of not being James Perch. That's the big plus in people's eyes at the moment. Next month there'll be a huge demand for Simpsons, as he has the added ability of not being Ryan Taylor.

I amazed folk are happy for Ryan Taylor to play, he's every bit as bad as Perch defensively.

Perch needs a break though, no?  Or would you stick with him?

I'm hoping Simpson will be fit. If not, i'd probably stick Williamson out there. Not ideal, but an improvement.

James Perch is the best right back we have seen at the club in years. Better than Ryan Taylor, Aaron Hughes, Stephen Carr, Warren Barton. Better than all of them, he only cost 1m quid.

Guest MrBrown

Perch needs a break though, no?  Or would you stick with him?

I'm hoping Simpson will be fit. If not, i'd probably stick Williamson out there. Not ideal, but an improvement.

Surely your latin lover would be more suitable, given that he is an accomplished right-back already?