Wayne Rooney

SEMTEX

• 6 years later...

Good read that.

Agree that his move into midfield was the beginning of the end for him. Never a central midfielder.

I'd have been intrigued to see whether, with a different coach, he'd have been able to reinvent himself, as Shearer did, when his pace went.

We're already slow enough going forward, we need to add pace over the summer. Still think Rooney should go back to being a striker and try to alter his game.

Ibra has no pace?

Shearer lost his pace?

This bloke is a class act still, underated passer of a ball similar to shearer, i'd have him.

We could get away with having Shearer because he was surrounded by pacy players who would do most of his leg work. Shearer just had to hold it and get in the box towards the end of his career. Ibra is just a freak, but again he's surrounded by class players, if Rooney came here he wouldn't be afforded that luxury. FWIW I'd take Rooney as a striker so long as we signed some pace to go around him, it's not that's he's Shearer levels of slow, but he's certainly lost a few yards.

Rooney's all-round game is great, but I don't think his finishing/striker instincts are good enough for him to prolong his career as a forward. That's the greatest difference with Shearer. His movement is not up to him playing as a modern #10 either, a very demanding role.

He would cost an absolute fortune, we could get three players (at least) for the wages he would command.

You're right, I don't understand why footballers don't do it more for the love or challenge of it when they get to Rooney's age and situation. He's fucking hugely minted, dropping to say 40k a week so he can play at us next season and try to reinvent himself is something that would get him huge kudos and who knows, if we were to win a cup and he was instrumental hed instantly get 2nd club legend status. Always thought that sort of thing would be way more desirable than holding out for the best pay day and then failing to live up to it.

Sheringham had quite a strong career at West Ham until 40 and don't recall him holding out for wages of epic proportions.

He would cost an absolute fortune, we could get three players (at least) for the wages he would command.

You're right, I don't understand why footballers don't do it more for the love or challenge of it when they get to Rooney's age and situation. He's fucking hugely minted, dropping to say 40k a week so he can play at us next season and try to reinvent himself is something that would get him huge kudos and who knows, if we were to win a cup and he was instrumental hed instantly get 2nd club legend status. Always thought that sort of thing would be way more desirable than holding out for the best pay day and then failing to live up to it.

Sheringham had quite a strong career at West Ham until 40 and don't recall him holding out for wages of epic proportions.

Vanity.  Can't be having someone who he considers a lesser player on a better salary no matter if that player is young and on an upward curve or not.

was just a thought, he has a lot to offer and is a class apart.

i reckon we have 3-4 players who can cut it next season, pace is needed yes but its not the be all and end all, his experience and goals is just what we need in the quest to stay in the PL if we get there.

He's currently on something like £250k a week. He'd have to take a massive pay cut to appear on NUFC's list. He has been playing at the top since he was 17. His career is coming to an end 'early' just like it did for another early starter Michael Owen.

I'd rather NUFC spend the money on improving the squad with cheaper, good professionals rather than blowing the budget on a player whose best days are over.

He's currently on something like £250k a week. He'd have to take a massive pay cut to appear on NUFC's list. He has been playing at the top since he was 17. His career is coming to an end 'early' just like it did for another early starter Michael Owen.

I'd rather NUFC spend the money on improving the squad with cheaper, good professionals rather than blowing the budget on a player whose best days are over.

he's 31  :lol:    and a million times better than anything we have, proven, a winner, a goalscorer, experienced.

i don't get this cheaper good pro's bit, buy 5 for the price of Rooney and they may still not keep you up, we will need goals, lots of them to stay in the PL if we go up. Top priority will be a midfielder who can also score.........someone like Rooney, he wont get those wages in England away from Manure but yes i agree it will be costly , don't dismiss this happening though cos there will be plenty of takers for him and John Terry.