West Ham United 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 23/10/10 - post match reaction from p20

Dave

Guest Heneage

How come Williamson makes no mistakes and is just ok, but Colo arguably plays a daft offside for their goal and is excellent?

That was nothing like a penalty. Is he meant to let Cole run in case he hoys himself to the floor?

He kicked out and got nothing on the ball. If that doesn't tempt the ref to blow, i don't know what does.

Not saying it was a penalty, but he's clumsy when players run at him, and it will cost us at some point.

How come Williamson makes no mistakes and is just ok, but Colo arguably plays a daft offside for their goal and is excellent?

Who said he was excellent? All of the defence (perhaps minus Simpson) were decent yesterday, no better.

Thought Williamson did well, Colo as well (although he shouldn't have tried to play whoever offside for their goal).

I'm happy with both at the moment.

Did he play offside though?  I just thought he lost his man when he made a run.

Haven't seen it again but I'm sure he stepped up.

Can't believe we won, huge 3pts and we simply couldn't have done it without the West Ham fans who showcased their talents on how not to vocally support your football club in times of need. You'd have thought it was May with two games to go and 7pts adrift at times, shocking stuff.

I thought we were great after their fortuitous goal, got right on top of them and our heads went up and our play got a lot better, while they just shrunk and their fans minimal support deserted. Think having two strikers helped with putting pressure on them while their narrow pitch seemed to allow us to play like that, hopefully that wasn't the only reason we did it and Hughton feels we can do it at SJP as well.

Thought they should have had a pen, but after the Citeh game we deserve some luck in that department.

Oh and a half fit first game of the season Simpson is far better than Perch, and he was rusty.

Could easily have given away a penalty early-on.

Williamson is OK, i think folk (me included) just want to see what Sol can offer.

I'd just like Sol to actually earn however many thousands of pounds a week he earns rather than get paid for free private medical care.

I'd rather we didn't alter what has been a stable central defence pairing just because we've got Sol Campbell. As much as I'd love to see what he can do for us, neither deserve to be dropped for him. Although this argument's been had a lot on this board recently.

So by that logic, you'd rather we started Xisco and Smith than Carroll and Tiote? Okay then.

was that aimed at me? I'd rather we hadn't signed Campbell at all as i think he's been an utter disgrace. hadn't bothered to keep himself remotely fit and as i suspected has hardly been fit enough to play.

Guest neesy111

Scott Parker - Who'm some West Ham fans before the game said is the best midfielder in the premiership :lol:, put in his usual performance, of having much of the ball and going round in circles.

In fairness to him, his passing options are severely limited. That squad is fucking abysmal

which in part leads to parkers overinflated rep as one of the best cms in the prem he just looks good by comparison to the rest of them

Guest firetotheworks

Scott Parker - Who'm some West Ham fans before the game said is the best midfielder in the premiership :lol:, put in his usual performance, of having much of the ball and going round in circles.

I still rate him. He has the same problem he had when he played for us, he's surrounded by shite.

That was nothing like a penalty. Is he meant to let Cole run in case he hoys himself to the floor?

He kicked out and got nothing on the ball. If that doesn't tempt the ref to blow, i don't know what does.

Not saying it was a penalty, but he's clumsy when players run at him, and it will cost us at some point.

:no: It was a coming together, that's all. If he gives a penalty, it's a really really harsh one.

He had to make some sort of challenge.

Guest neesy111

I still rate him. He has the same problem he had when he played for us, he's surrounded by shite.

Quite a few decent CM's in the premiership could say that, retrospectively.

Aye. Him and Noble are the only two players in West Ham that I even semi-rate. If they don't go down this year, it'll be a miracle.

I just don't get Avram Grant as a manager. With that monotone voice and hangdog expression, I can't imagine him inspiring anyone. Perhaps he's different away from the cameras, but West Ham seemed completely devoid of spirit in the second half. Grant looked very worried afterwards, with good reason.

Guest Heneage

If West Ham go down and we stay up who would people look to steal?

I'd take Behrami, Parker, and look to try and get Obinna on loan.