Newcastle United v Sunderland - 31/10/10 Live on SkySports HD1 1:30pm

Guest neesy111
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which cameos? Against Wigan and Arsenal he was piss-poor. He just doesn't impose himself at all - just like another player who folk wanted to see in the team based on performances in an abysmal league. When Barton was Guthrie's age he was starting and doing very well at City. There's no comparison there.

Guest Heneage

Guthrie deserves a chance, he's done well in his cameo's this season.

Nee'sy, is that you?

:lol:

He's not been fantastic, but there's glimpses of potential. When I say a chance I mean 30 minutes when we're up by 2-3 goals (a rarity I know). I just think along side a proper defensive midfielder like Tiote we might get some success. The guy has good close control and we saw last season he has a semblance of creativity it's just the physical side of his game that lets him down.

You can't compare him and Barton though, Barton had no competition at City he was playing a long side a near 40 year old Paul Bosvelt, Guthrie was at Liverpool behind Steven Gerrard.

I would definitely give this midfield and fowards a run out Sunday:

Routledge  Barton  Tiote  Jonas

Shola  Carroll

The defenders pretty much pick themselves but Simpson at RB for the only position with any real competition.

Which cameos? Against Wigan and Arsenal he was piss-poor. He just doesn't impose himself at all - just like another player who folk wanted to see in the team based on performances in an abysmal league. When Barton was Guthrie's age he was starting and doing very well at City. There's no comparison there.

You're right that there's no meaningful comparison to be had at the moment, but for all the wrong reasons.

Barton didn't start coming to the fore at City until he was 23-24.  Guthrie's at that age now and spent most of last season as a key player in the first 11 (in a lower league, which can't be helped) and has not been fit this season.

Can't believe you're comparing him with Lovenkrands.  I agreed with you about Lovenkrands as he's past his best and also past the point of improvement, but I'm genuinely surprised if you're applying that same logic to Guthrie.

There's a comparison to be drawn because both are reliant on those around them and often see the game pass them by as a consequence.

Guthrie's physically one of the worst players i've ever seen in b&w. As i said in the summer, he needs to get his conditioning sorted or he'll not be playing at this level much longer.

I really like Guthrie but he has shown fuck all in the 2 games he has featured in this season, he was absolutely gash on Wednesday. Like Dave says, he barely looks fit, and he seems distracted. He is young though and granted one of his games this season was on the right, where he should never be played. I also seem to remember being dissapointed with him in the pre-season games I saw, giving the ball away a lot. I'd have him playing reserve games to get some match sharpness as he certainly wouldn't be in my first 11 at present and we have better options off the bench.

Talking about a Raoul Moat  song now

Please tell me that as a group of football supporters we won't stoop this low.

They would, we wont. SAFC forever.

that was the point, the fact he's was hailed as a hero by them

:facepalm:

Guthrie shouldn't start. Not ever. Never let him start a game like this. It hurts to think about it.

Tiote - Barton in the middle. Anyone but Guthrie on the right.

Be careful what you wish for.

http://www.nufcblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/James-Perch-Newcastle.jpg

Guthrie shouldn't start. Not ever. Never let him start a game like this. It hurts to think about it.

Be careful what you wish for.

http://www.nufcblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/James-Perch-Newcastle.jpg

:omg:

Is this post a joke?

Assuming I've not missed anything by not reading the last page - no.