Best penalty you've ever seen?

James

When I was a kid I was taught a keeper will struggle more if you keep it low.

So basically that's that debate ended.

I was always told that too, probably to stop me skying them all over though.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

the mascot before the game today was fb with his penalties against Krul :D

Aye they were canny good like. His celebrations as well, man.  :lol:

Everyone at my work was shouting for Nolan to take it for the hat trick and I stood there with a smile and just said Shola, 3-0. Only time I'm truly confident in the man, and he doesn't disappoint!

Guest firetotheworks

Shearer vs Argentina in World Cup 98. High pressure against a decent penalty stopper, and just absolutely lashed into the top corner perfectly.

Guest palnese

Shearer vs Argentina in World Cup 98. High pressure against a decent penalty stopper, and just absolutely lashed into the top corner perfectly.

Aye, class that one. I also remember when he chipped a penalty against the Smoggies. I think it was in a pre-season game, 10 years ago or so.

There was an article about a scientific research done, and that pen was chosen as the most perfect penalty. But I would probably agree about low being more unstoppable than high.

There was an article about a scientific research done, and that pen was chosen as the most perfect penalty. But I would probably agree about low being more unstoppable than high.

Disagree when it comes to penalties, because all the movement of a goalkeeper comes from pushing off his legs from the centre of the goal and from that crouched position the top corner is further away than the bottom post - even if, whilst upright, their hands start closer to the top corner.

Daft discussion, like, but just my two cents! :lol:

Zidane against Portugal in Euro 2000 is one I always remember.

Semi-final, golden goal. Just lashed it into the top corner like he was farting about in training, magic.

The chipped ones look class, but I'd never be happy if I was a manager and someone did that. Zidane almost made a tit of himself in the WC final with his one that went in off the bar. (He did manage to correct that later on though, tbf to him). Favourite one that worked was the winner for Uruguay in the QF of the last World Cup.

As one of my friends remarked at the time, "the weight of his balls" to do that was insane.

hmm 2 contenders for me shola vs sunderland 31st oct 2010 or shola vs sunderland last time we played them

Sunday's was superb but I think the last one you mention had a whole lot more pressure on it.

Fortunately Shola doesn't seem to do pressure.

hmm 2 contenders for me shola vs sunderland 31st oct 2010 or shola vs sunderland last time we played them

Sunday's was superb but I think the last one you mention had a whole lot more pressure on it.

Still a fair bit of pressure on Sundays, he took the ball off Nolan to take it, and if he'd miss you'd fancy the mackems to galvanise from it and get it back to 2-1 at least early second half. Game changing pentaly for me :) Not saying there was more or less pressure than the other one though.

Still a fair bit of pressure on Sundays, he took the ball off Nolan to take it, and if he'd miss you'd fancy the mackems to galvanise from it and get it back to 2-1 at least early second half. Game changing pentaly for me :) Not saying there was more or less pressure than the other one though.

Totally agree - a huge penalty on Sunday - and masterfully put away.

Like I said fortunately wor Shola doesn't seem to do pressure.