Injuries - do we have the numbers to cope?

Guest guinness_fiend

Guest guinness_fiend

Given that we've played really well over the last couple of weeks with a starting eleven that should arguably remain unchanged unless absolutely necessary, do any of you think that we've got enough quality on the bench to cover any injuries that might crop up, especially over the winter months.

For instance, if Carroll picked up an injury, would you be confident with Ranger/Xisco and Shola as front men?

Personally, I'm hoping to high heaven that no-one else picks up any knocks!

Not really, in a few positions we are paper thin.

It depends who the injuries are to - if it's Enrique or Carroll it would be a gutter.

That said, we might pick up enough points when the players are fit to accept a couple of draws and defeats when they're injured.

Kadar could step in at LB. If we get stuck with Perch or Ryan Taylor at RB I'd be worried, but hopefully Hughton will stick Steven Taylor in there.

Up front I think we will struggle really bad if we lose Carroll. Ranger seems to be developing all the time but he's not ready to fill Shola or Carrolls boots yet. The situation with him coming on for Shola towards the end of games is ideal. Full of energy and running, hopefully he'll add some goals soon and just kick on from there. He could well be Sholas replacement in due time. Having said that, I think it's a tricky one wether we should bring someone in or not, wouldn't do Rangers development any good. Santa Cruz on loan and Ranger going out on loan is something that could work.

Surely the biggest loss would be Tiote. We'd have to change our whole gameplan as there's no one like him at the club.

Agreed Carroll's loss would undoubtably be a  big blow. But Tiote arguably would be a bigger blow. We'd then probably have a central midfield of Smith and Nolan. There is just no way we would have beaten Arsenal etc with those two old cloggers. We can afford to carry Nolan in general play as long as he's chipping in with the huge amount of goals he's currently scoring. Something he's luckily for us very good at as long as he's getting the oppourtunities.

I always thought Enrique would be the biggest blow and maybe he would be. But the more i see of ferguson and Kadar the more i feel they could do a job if needs be. I do not feel the same way about Smith covering for Tiote.

Whilst Ranger isn't as good as Carroll or Shola yet he's still a decent sub and looks to be improving.

Tiote or Enrique would be critical blows to us.

And Barton and Carroll. I also think that Nolan would be a big miss (considering how he leads our team).

And, at the moment I really don't want to get Krul injured.

Cover for the first team is the single biggest problem with this squad. Lose Krul, Simpson, Ricky, Tiote, Guti or Carroll and I wouldn't be confident. 6 first teamers, that's not good. Only position I'm reasonably happy with once Saylor's back to full fitness is CB.

Krul, Enrique, Tiote and Carroll we'll struggle to replace with our current squad, the rest we've got at least some sort of half decent cover for.

How can our strikers be half decent cover for Ameobi but not for Carroll? I mean, we're fucked without him, no doubt. But that's because he's our most talented striker. [/pickingargumentoutofnothing] :lol: