On this day...

Tooj

21 years (ffs!) since Shearer's volley v. Villa.

Enjoyed reading SBR's enthusiasm in his post-match interview:

https://www.nufc.com/html/2001-02html/2001-11-03villa-h.html

"I was asked 10 minutes from the end to name my man of the match and I said 'We haven't got one, the team is the man of the match - but I'll give you Bellamy as a close second.'

"I'm delighted. I would say that for me ranks as just about the best performance we've given our fans since the day I came here, and that would include my first home game when we won 8-0.

"We beat Manchester United 3-0 last year and we trounced Tottenham 6-1 in a cup tie, but I thought that was the best, and 3-0 just might have flattered them actually.

"They were outstanding. Alan Shearer is getting better. I always felt that Alan needed time. He's done some extra training to improve his speed, and his movement was much better today.

"He held it up well, battled well and got a great goal. His strike was as classical a strike as he's ever hit. He's scored several hundred goals and he's never hit one better than that.

"Bellamy was precocious, penetrative, speedy and difficult to handle. He could have finished with four goals today really.

"Peter Schmeichel made a marvellous save in the first half when he came in on the angle and hit it like a dream, and then in the second half, he put two just past the back post.

"In terms of making chances, we've done very well today - and I quite like them. Before we scored, I thought one goal might win it and I fancied us.

"But it was as complete and comprehensive a victory as we've had since I came here.

"We have to keep our feet on the ground. I believe we have a good squad and a good team. We have Kieron Dyer and Carl Cort to come in and that will be even better for us.

"But nobody wins anything or loses anything in November, and we've just got to continue."

15 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Can't ask me fatha as he stopped going to games for a bit post 76-ish but why or how did it go so badly wrong in 1977-78? I know we sold Macdonald in '76 but we ended up finishing 5th that season, following season we won the first game of the season against Leeds then lost 10 games on the bounce. :lol: Like, what the fuck? Down without a solitarity whimper.

Was it because Gordon Lee fucked off to Everton in January '77 and we replaced him with a guy with next to no credibility in being in charge of a First Division club in Dinnis?

Find it interesting overnight that that was the start of the worst period in our history. Blew my mind to learn relatively recently that we'd won more trophies than Liverpool until the mid70s and more FA Cups than Man United until the mid80s.

That period 78-92 is probably what people refer to when saying were not a big club. I'm bias of course and that's the club I first encountered but it looks like more of a blip when looke at now than the rule.

On the Shearer goal. Watched parts of that game two nights ago as liken it to the Villa game just gone (that was when we went past having just 'a good start'). Always thought Shearer's goal suspect, not his type of thing, with us at least post injuries (at Blackburn he could do anything) but there's absolutely nobody in the box and nobody making a run from the replays, there's no other explanation for it than it was intentional.

26 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Find it interesting overnight that that was the start of the worst period in our history. Blew my mind to learn relatively recently that we'd won more trophies than Liverpool until the mid70s and more FA Cups than Man United until the mid80s.

That period 78-92 is probably what people refer to when saying were not a big club. I'm bias of course and that's the club I first encountered but it looks like more of a blip when looke at now than the rule.

I talk to my dad about it quite a lot as he started going to games regularly from 1968-1975. Main reason he dislikes Liverpool is because of 1974: he was at Wembley for it and we simply just didn't turn up but it was more about the fact that we'd won more trophies as a club than Liverpool had when that match kicked off; if we had won that cup final, would we have been the club that went on to be successful, win 4 European Cups in the following decade? Who knows. 

Instead we made poor managerial appointments post Harvey and went down to the Second Division for 6 years before winning promotion and reverting to type in the 80s, selling Waddle, Beardsley, Gascoigne and not replacing them adequately. The joke of a pursuit of McFaul's replacement, etc.

Newcastle United has been a club with an absolute gold mine of potential hidden underneath the surface but it's been run so badly for the majority of its history. We came close between 1992-97 but we've still not won a major thing for decades. Criminal. 

Think it's being realised now however.

6 hours ago, LFEE said:

Was a legend at his previous club. When your legs go they go, weirdly almost overnight. I should know 😆

Yeah. Remember us beating Spurs earlier in the season, he scored and was brilliant that night.

Tbf to him I'm sure his next match was a couple months later and he was MOTM at Fulham in that shite 1-0 win.

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Pretty sure Shearer's right elbow is offside by a hair at the time Lee pings it over, so really it should've been ruled-out and forgotten about forever. 

So many old goals I look back and realize how much shitter they'd be now with VAR. The ones that'd be ruled out but also those that are narrowly offside that you wouldn't really know til had been confirmed after check (was just thinking it with the mackem 5-1. Nolan's second you'd be worried about offside and it'd have been checked, his third a mackem player went down  - it was nothing but you wouldn't know that in the ground. Chopra's too would definitely have been checked and that primal celebration had some hesitation.

12 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

So many old goals I look back and realize how much shitter they'd be now with VAR. The ones that'd be ruled out but also those that are narrowly offside that you wouldn't really know til had been confirmed after check (was just thinking it with the mackem 5-1. Nolan's second you'd be worried about offside and it'd have been checked, his third a mackem player went down  - it was nothing but you wouldn't know that in the ground. Chopra's too would definitely have been checked and that primal celebration had some hesitation.

Its grim and pretty much the reason I'm against it. The opposition could argue the referee into at least looking on any of the great goals, on the off chance something happened somewhere in the build up. Sometimes there'd be the slighest thing but also just the stoppage kills those moments.

On the other hand we'd have won the league in 96 if several Manchester United goals were ruled out like they should have been.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 hour ago, Wolfcastle said:

Its grim and pretty much the reason I'm against it. The opposition could argue the referee into at least looking on any of the great goals, on the off chance something happened somewhere in the build up. Sometimes there'd be the slighest thing but also just the stoppage kills those moments.

On the other hand we'd have won the league in 96 if several Manchester United goals were ruled out like they should have been.

Given the way VAR is actually used, I doubt they actually would've been ruled out though...

14 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Well seeing as you use Derby games as examples, what about Barton being denied a goal by the arm of Larsson, the horrible little cheat running to the linesman pointing at his face? VAR would have overturned that and given us a penalty and a sending off for the Swede after only a quarter of an hour of a game we went on to only win one nowt. 

And what about Coloccini's sending off a few years later? VAR would have surely helped us there (the red card was later rescinded). In a match where we were the better team, even with ten men, it was hardly believable that we lost that one 3-0.

1 hour ago, bigfella said:

Well seeing as you use Derby games as examples, what about Barton being denied a goal by the arm of Larsson, the horrible little cheat running to the linesman pointing at his face? VAR would have overturned that and given us a penalty and a sending off for the Swede after only a quarter of an hour of a game we went on to only win one nowt. 

And what about Coloccini's sending off a few years later? VAR would have surely helped us there (the red card was later rescinded). In a match where we were the better team, even with ten men, it was hardly believable that we lost that one 3-0.

would far rather take those injustices/errors than have great moments dampened by hesitation and uncertainty.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

I must admit, I agree with you, was just playing devils advocate (still hate pug nose Larsson, mind).

I haven't been to a match since Fat Sham was manager and I doubt I'll be back.

I can't imagine what it's like to be in a stadium when we "score", only for everyone to stand around, picking their arse while we see what excuse they can use to rule the goal out.