On this day...

Tooj

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We’d went ages unbeaten up to that point. Weren’t far off a late European charge, were flying in Europe & the FA Cup, Shearer signed his extension, Souness was picking Robert then bang, that game happened and it all fizzled out.

O’Leary even stuck Solano on in the last few minutes just for the lolz.

W12 D4 L1, including a run of eight wins in a row. :lol:  In all competitions obvs.

'Fizzled out' is quite generous. :lol:

49 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Lisbon capitulation, FA Cup semi final thrashing, defeat at Norwich after equalising in the 90th minute then back to back 0-0 home draws against Middlesbrough and Palace. Mint.

Palace was the game when everybody threw paper aeroplanes wasn’t it? Don’t remember the Boro draw at all, though I suppose I was there 

• 3 weeks later...

20/04/92 (thirty years ago today)

Newcastle had gradually climbed the table following Keegan’s appointment as manager, but five defeats in a row culminating in a disastrous 4-1 defeat at Derby on Easter Monday plunged United back into the relegation places with only two games left.

The highly controversial game at the Baseball ground saw three United players and Assistant Manager Terry McDermott all sent off, sparking serious trouble at the United end.

The remaining games were against ninth placed Portsmouth and second placed Leicester and there was a real fear that the Magpies would drop into the third tier for the first ever time.

A58C417B-3375-4E2D-9D23-024041AF17D1.jpeg

Edited by Toontimes

I remember that Derby game well and wondered at the time if that really fired us up going into those last games. 
What I don't remember is that we'd lost 4 games in a row just before it. Bloody hell.

The best atmosphere I'd been in maybe until Man United in 95/96 - and there were lots of fantastic ones in between.

We'd played well iirc but became conscious of time with 20' to go and started to doubt it more every minute, I was mostly in the camp of 'its not going to happen',by the time it did.

For what its worth Robocop2 has its sky premiere that night. Always remember having it taped as was staying at a mates house that night.

Guest HTT II
53 minutes ago, Paully said:

Unreal atmosphere!

Classic Cole goal that and one of my fave, what a player he was for us in that spell and what a season. 

10 hours ago, Paully said:

Unreal atmosphere!

Feel like it's a shame he doesn't associate with us more given he played his best for us and played a crucial role at a crucial time. Very much seems a ManU man. Understand why he is primarily so but think he could have a bit more of a connection. 

27 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Feel like it's a shame he doesn't associate with us more given he played his best for us and played a crucial role at a crucial time. Very much seems a ManU man. Understand why he is primarily so but think he could have a bit more of a connection. 

Was good to hear our fans sing his name last weekend for this reason. Let’s reclaim our heroes 

37 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Hasn't he said before he couldn't really handle the level of adulation our fans gave him? Suppose it would make sense he would feel more comfortable blending in as just another 'good' player at Man U. 

I was five years old when he left so I only really knew him as a Man U player until I got older and learnt more of the club's history so I'm working entirely from second hand info and a sketchy memory of an interview I feel I read not all that long ago. 

5 minutes ago, wormy said:

Hasn't he said before he couldn't really handle the level of adulation our fans gave him? Suppose it would make sense he would feel more comfortable blending in as just another 'good' player at Man U. 

I was five years old when he left so I only really knew him as a Man U player until I got older and learnt more of the club's history so I'm working entirely from second hand info and a sketchy memory of an interview I feel I read not all that long ago. 

I was 5 when he left too and remember it - but that probably says something about the level of adulation he had in the city. I can remember walking to school the day after he left and saying it was a disgrace (or words that effect) - like it was a major 9/11-style news event. It's probably the earliest football memory I can put a date on.

1 minute ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I was 5 when he left too and remember it - but that probably says something about the level of adulation he had in the city. I can remember walking to school the day after he left and saying it was a disgrace (or words that effect) - like it was a major 9/11-style news event. It's probably the earliest football memory I can put a date on.

:thup: Maybe a somewhat fortunate instance of me being a dirty southerner so my love for NUFC at that age mostly amounted to my dad bringing replica kits home whenever he headed back up to see my grandma. :lol:

24 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Was good to hear our fans sing his name last weekend for this reason. Let’s reclaim our heroes 

Really? At Norwich?

Surprised by that given the large resentment towards him for his anti Keegan singing

18 minutes ago, geordie_b said:
44 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Really? At Norwich?

Surprised by that given the large resentment towards him for his anti Keegan singing

got an airing in the corner against Leicester too.

1 hour ago, geordie_b said:

Really? At Norwich?

Yeah, along with the Rob Lee and David Kelly songs! Same as vs Leicester at home!

Guest HTT II

My bro in law was at that game and texted me saying Cisse had scored a great goal to put us 1-0 up, then towards the end texted me again saying he’s bettered it with the best goal arguably scored in the PL. I didn’t believe him at the time, my word…

Three years ago - one of the drunkest I've ever seen SJP - Rafa's last home match!

8pm kick off on a Saturday over a Bank Holiday [emoji38]

Marriner was ref that day too - nice to give them the foul for Origi's dive

Edited by Paully

Lost 2-0 at home to Chelsea.

KK said we would never be a top 4 club within his 3 year contract. He was certainly right. This seemed to spark the downfall that we’ve taken 14 years to get out of. Hopefully we strive to become the club that Keegan wanted.

I’m meeting him next week and I can’t wait to discuss this with him!